So many choices so little money need a long range rifle scope

Dadof3

FNG
Hey just throwing it out there. I would like to buy my first longe range hunting scope. I will be placing on top of either a hells canyon speed in 300 win mag or a savage high country in 300 win mag. I’d like to shoot out to 1000 yards. The goal is to have an elk rifle that can hunt just about everything else I am looking at three different brands of scopes which I have the opportunity to buy at a significant discount so I’d like to choose between US Optics, Voretex, Burris, or Riton scopes. Was thinking of some in the 5-25 magnification range. I can not afford their top of the line stuff but a retail price of 1200$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

You are gonna hear about the Vortex PST Gen 2 on here, and am sure you are all over it. Best bang for your buck in my opinion, and definitely the best warranty above all. Get you a +20 MOA rail and match rings, you will be set. Also, the Vortex Razor is way heavy in comparison to the PST Gen2. I'd get the Gen2, then put that extra cash towards a muzzle brake and maybe some trigger work...

FYI, Some Brownings have some funky threads that are troublesome for a muzzle brake...

Easy. Grab a Nightforce 5-20 SHV. I understand you may not get a discount, but it fits your budget and will be a very solid scope.

Of your listed brands, I don't have experience with any other than vortex - I'd avoid vortex.
I looked into the SHV also... Only comes in MOA, which may or may not be a problem for OP. My buddies have the Gen2 Vortex and have good luck with them. I must admit that the zero stop acted kinda funky initially on one of them, however after "working" it a few times dialing up and back to zero it felt much better and holds zero.

KHNC

WKR
I have a Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24 on my 300WSM. It has given me zero trouble for the two years and 300 rounds fired through it. I dont personally know a lot of "just" hunters that shoot more rounds than that in 2 years. However, to shoot 1000yds , one will need to practice plenty. I feel this scope has been an excellent value and still returns to zero with no issue.

ChrisAU

WKR
The SHV 4-14x50 F1 comes in MILs if that is a hang up, and is FFP. Look at the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 also.

archp625

WKR
I would go with a Nightforce 5-20 x 56. I have one on my Ridgeline and love it. I paid $1100 for mine but i could have sworn one just went in the classified for $950.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Hear me out... bushnell smrs 1-8.5. Scope is lighter than most in its class, exposed but must pull up to dial so it’s not gonna bump off of zero, easy to use reticle. Everyone I knew growing up had a 3-9 on their deer/elk rifle. You constantly hear guys suggest the straight 10x swfa as a reliable cheap option for long range, so you can’t tell me a 9x on an elk out a long ways wouldn’t be absolutely effective. I just bought one for $679 (msrp was like $1700) and it’s a steal! I started thinking it might be the perfect “do it all” hunting scope. Just saying, it might be the best ffp scope for the money and for the purpose.

I’d avoid the vortex, I’ve had 100% failure rate on 8 PST’s within 5 years of purchase (on my customer or friends rifles), and the majority of those caused a miss of an animal at some point.

US optics would be my choice from the few you listed. I’m still a big fan of the Bushnell elite lines (LRTS, DMR-Pro, XRS-II).

No issues with the Zeiss V6 I ran as well.

Going to give a Leupold Mk5 a workout this spring/summer and see how it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap and simple with no fluff, get a SWFA Fixed 6MQ. I've shot several of mine out to 1200 yards. It's not hard to put bullets on target with it either and the reticle is one of the best around. Save the money to buy more ammo and get more trigger time.

ID_Matt

WKR
I went with a PST gen 2 and after 50 rounds it started stringing shots and wouldn't hold zero. I have had 2 Zeiss V4's bought as demos that have been rock solid for around $800. Nightforce SHV is another good choice as mentioned above

I dial a ton with my SWFA 5-20 and it’s been flawless. Picked it up for $800 used, but they can be had new or demo units for $900-ish.
I have close to 1,000 rounds down using the SWFA 5-20 and it’s flawless.

I picked up a 3-9 SWFA for a lightweight gun I’m putting together in a magnum and looking forward to testing it out. I’m betting it will also work great and no issue at 9x hitting 1,000. I used a fixed 10x SWFA for a year before getting the 5-20. I wasn’t a fan of the glass on the non-Hd line of SWFA’s, so that’s why I went with the 3-9 over the 3-15. Turrets and glass are that much better in the HD line in my opinion. If they made a 3-15 in HD I’d be all over it.

I have a little experience with the Vortex Viper scopes that a buddy had. I didn’t like them at all. It was like looking down a toilet paper roll. Pretty sure they were the HST line, which is a SFP version of the PST. He eventually sold them and moved to the SWFA 5-20 as well after using mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have stated look into the nightforce or swfa. I have 4 diff swfa's and they are amazing for the price. Do a quick search on what Formidilosus has to say about many of the scopes that people say work great.

I have the opportunity to buy at a significant discount so I’d like to choose between US Optics, Voretex, Burris, or Riton scopes. Was thinking of some in the 5-25 magnification range. I can not afford their top of the line stuff but a retail price of 1200$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like your military, so you also get nice discounts on: Leupold, Nightfotce, Meopta, Athlon, and Bushnell. There are rumors of others with discounts too, but I can't vouch for them. Lots of good options to choose from, but of the four you listed the Burris xtr or veracity are probably the best bets.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

kabarNC

FNG
In that price range, Bushnell LRHS hands down. Decent glass, weight, great hunting reticle, and bombproof tracking. Also SWFA for a dated, yet bombproof optic. I'm done with Vortex, their "amazing warranty" does no good when you're 5 miles from the nearest road on a limited time hunt.

FLS

WKR
The Bushnell s don’t get the respect they deserve. That’s a helluva scope for the money. I’ve been shooting the DMRs since they came out, and I just put a DMR PRO on my match rifle. I’ve had all the cool kid scopes and keep coming back to the Bushys. They just work.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
Midway has the Leopold LRP 4.5 x 14 on sale right now for 599 or 699 great scope for the money

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
In that price range, Bushnell LRHS hands down. Decent glass, weight, great hunting reticle, and bombproof tracking. Also SWFA for a dated, yet bombproof optic. I'm done with Vortex, their "amazing warranty" does no good when you're 5 miles from the nearest road on a limited time hunt.

I have the LRHS 4.5-18x44. It's incredible glass for the money, rock solid zero stop, and maybe a little better turret than an SHV? I haven't messed with the exposed turret SHV models much. I've taken mine out to 750 yards on steel with ease.