So many choices so little money need a long range rifle scope

16Bore

WKR
Cheap and simple with no fluff, get a SWFA Fixed 6MQ. I've shot several of mine out to 1200 yards. It's not hard to put bullets on target with it either and the reticle is one of the best around. Save the money to buy more ammo and get more trigger time.

Even the variables are dirt cheap in comparison.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For shots at 1,000 yards you want a scope that tracks reliably. Dialing is key and making sure the scope correctly dials and returns to zero is very important. Read up on which brands offer reliable dialing and tracking at long ranges (not Leupold or vortex).

You also don’t need 20x zoom to get a good sight picture on an elk at 1,000 yards just FYI. I used a Meopta 4-14 on a black tail two years ago at 1,250 yards

For under $1000 i would go with a Burris XTR II in either 4-20 or 5-25. I have both and have shot past 1000 yards with both scopes. I had a Bushnell Elite DMR II before but i got rid of it after comparing it to the XTR II 4-20. My son and i mounted both the Burris XTR II and the Bushnell on tripods next to each other and glassed different parts of a valley at different times of day and evening over a weekend. To both of our eyes the Burris had clearer glass and had less scope shadow than the Bushnell. It also handled the glare from the sun at dusk much better. I have had bad luck with Vortex.

WCB

WKR
Personally I would forget the magnification range. Mirage is a huge factor when getting to those high magnifications. I have Bushnell LRHS shoot out to 900ish frequently I think for the money it is one of the best out there. Tracking is spot on. Magnification tops out a 12x mirage is still manageable.

For your budget I would focus #1 on tracking ability and a close second on scope build and durability. Scopes in that price range are mostly going to have decent glass as far as clarity.

P.S. Avoid Vortex IMO

I currently have 1 NF NXS 3.5-15, 2 bushy LRHS 3-12, SWFA SS's in 6x and 10x. They all work great and track well. I'd have to lean toward the LRHS for the features it provides for the money. Glass quality is a ways down on my list of must haves on a scope and even the cheap swfa's have adequate glass for me. Tracking, ability to hold zero, and reliability are number 1 to me. My next scope will be one of the swfa 3-9's.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
For $1200, the Bushnell DMR II or DMR II Pro are the best optics for 1,000yrd shooting. Better glass and brighter than Vipers and Burris XTR’s, better tracking and more positive clicks than the Burris also. Less color aberration than Leupolds in the price class.

You can find some DMR II’s for under $1000 right now.

Has anyone compared the Meopta Optika to the LRHS, NXS or SWFA? Yes I read Form’s thread on it but haven’t heard much since. I know it’s cheaper than the bushy and NF. I don’t care much about glass just durability, tracking, and holding zero.

@ a $1200 budget I would save my pennies a few more months and spring for a used Nightforce NXS 5.5-22.

they can be found used quite often for $1500 & under.

of all the sub 1k price tag optics I have had trouble with all of them, bushnell, burris, leupold, & vortex.

it wasn't till I ponied up to the NXS and ATACR line that I stopped having problems.

just my 2 cents worth!

kabarNC

FNG
@ a $1200 budget I would save my pennies a few more months and spring for a used Nightforce NXS 5.5-22.

they can be found used quite often for $1500 & under.

of all the sub 1k price tag optics I have had trouble with all of them, bushnell, burris, leupold, & vortex.

it wasn't till I ponied up to the NXS and ATACR line that I stopped having problems.

just my 2 cents worth!

I'm curious, what problem did you have with which Bushnell?

There's a staggering amount of optics in the "sub 1k price tag optics", from blister packs at walmart, to tech that was unheard of even 12-15yrs ago. OP was looking for something around $1200 price point, which prompted this discussion.

There's absolutely no way I'd run a second focal plane reticle for hunting in this day and age anymore tho.. different strokes for different folks i guess.

ChrisAU

WKR
Has anyone compared the Meopta Optika to the LRHS, NXS or SWFA? Yes I read Form’s thread on it but haven’t heard much since. I know it’s cheaper than the bushy and NF. I don’t care much about glass just durability, tracking, and holding zero.

I had a 3-18x56 Optika 6 in hand a couple weeks ago looking for something brighter than my SWFA 3-9x42 for whitetail hunting. The Optika 6 was returned. Now have a 3.6-18x44 Mark 5HD on the way to try to unseat the super chicken.

So far I’ve had great luck with the SWFA offerings and a NF SHV.

Maybe one day I’ll buy a NXS or ATACR. In any case, like many have mentioned your #1 focus should be a scope that has repeatable and accurate dialing. It’a also going to need to be durable.

Many will try to sell you on Vortex because “muh warranty” but like someone else mentioned, that warranty doesn’t help you 5 miles into the woods, on a hunt youve spent out of state tag money and pto on... warranty means nothing then... and you’re gonna be upset when your hunt is ruined... but at least they’ll fix your scope right? 😂😂😂

16Bore

WKR
SWFA’s pop up for less than $250 all the time. Grab a 6x or 10x MQ and use it until you start missing shots beyond your reach. Then trip it. You might be out a little on shipping.

But I’d lay money that it stays on your rifle.....

I think the most underrated scope in this price range in a Sightron SIII. I have the 3.5-10 x 44mm version (cause I'm mostly in the dense woods of the NE) and it is simply amazing. I have the mil dot reticle with .1 mil scope adjustments (what I was trained on) and the glass is so clear and bright. The scope tracks great and holds it's zero like it should. I bought mine on Ebay for $550 (the box was messed up or something) and it looked brand new to me!

For your purpose I would look at the 6-24 x 50mm versions or even the 8-32 x 56mm (I'm not too familiar with shooting that far so you pick the magnification). I've only heard rave reviews about those versions as well and have spoken to multiple people who hunt long range with great success with the 6-24 version. Brand new they retail around $750-$900. They also have newer models with a zero stop or in first focal plane with zero stop for more money. Check them all out.

I highly recommend these scopes!

ChrisAU

WKR
If you call the right people you can get in a 3.6-18x44 or 5-25x56 Leupold Mark 5HD for under $1200 after selling the free Kestrel you get during the free rebate program right now...I may or may not be doing that, may be in a 3.6-18x44 for under a grand...

If you call the right people you can get in a 3.6-18x44 or 5-25x56 Leupold Mark 5HD for under $1200 after selling the free Kestrel you get during the free rebate program right now...I may or may not be doing that, may be in a 3.6-18x44 for under a grand...

I played with a M5HD at the sportsman show. Nice scope, but I’m not sure if they figured how to make a dialing scope that doesn’t break. I’ve had more than a few Leupolds that didn’t hold zero over time, and with minimal abuse. Sent them in for repair and then sold them. They have known erector issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I played with a M5HD at the sportsman show. Nice scope, but I’m not sure if they figured how to make a dialing scope that doesn’t break. I’ve had more than a few Leupolds that didn’t hold zero over time, and with minimal abuse. Sent them in for repair and then sold them. They have known erector issues.

I agree, I broke ties with Leupold years ago. But these have been out for a couple years and you can't find anything bad on them for tracking/RTZ. Snipers Hide has a 30+ page thread on them with 0 complaints on tracking/RTZ. Decided to try one, the 3.6-18x44 checks a ton of boxes for me.

I agree, I broke ties with Leupold years ago. But these have been out for a couple years and you can't find anything bad on them for tracking/RTZ. Snipers Hide has a 30+ page thread on them with 0 complaints on tracking/RTZ. Decided to try one, the 3.6-18x44 checks a ton of boxes for me.

Good to know. I own a 5-20HD and 3-9HD SWFA’s and love them, but if they ever made their 3-15 in the HD line I’d be all over it. Had a fixed 10x SS, and while good (especially for $250!), I just much prefer the glass on the HD line. The M5HD checks a lot of boxes for me and I really liked the turrets, but I’m still gun shy about Leupolds.

260madman

WKR
This summer I picked up 2 Burris XTRIIs in 4-20 and 2 in 5-25 with the G2B reticle for $506 a piece. The 4-20 is a better scope but the 5-25s will work just fine on the heavy paper punchers I have. They are very clear and have a flat image compared to the Super Chicken HD lineup I have. The HDs have more “pop”.

Not sure if Midway still has the Crimson Trace scopes on sale but they are a LOW scope and should be pretty good for the money. I think they were 50% off or more.