So my shop caught on fire last night

Seriously what a great start to 2021.

Anyways this morning we opened the door to the shop to find the entire thing black and smoky and the lawn mower smoldering. Fire department thinks the mower had shorted out and one thing led to another. Security camera on the outside shows the thing exploded but didn’t spread, and fizzled out from lack of oxygen. Was about a 20 minute ordeal. Sheetrock, garage door, and insulation being fireproof saved us big time. I got antlers all around and one elk mount in the garage and all the horns look like there ok, they are just covered in black. My question is the mount. With it covered in black smoke what are the chances it’s going to make it? Is there a way to clean it up or should i just take it straight to my taxidermist and see if he can be on the hunt for a new cape? Hard to tell but from what i can see the fur doesn’t look charred but the whiskers are gone. I was thinking tomorrow I’d take it off the wall, maybe put the shop vac on blow mode and take a fine soft brush to it unless someone convinced me otherwise that’s a terrible idea. Any suggestions on how to clean the mount and antlers that i haven’t thought of yet? For reference the pens on the tool box and any light plastic materials did melt but i am assuming it was all from the explosion and no consistent flames. Any suggestions are appreciated. Just glad this didn’t end up much worse than it could of
5139d5c6fa0a32565c906b17f1cd602d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to say for sure on the mount without knowing how it was preserved originally. If it was tanned you can brush it out, get it wet and shampoo, blow it as dry as you can get it, and put it in front of a fan to finish drying. It may be ok, minus the whiskers and I assume eye lashes. If it was DP’d (dry preservative) you don’t want to get it wet and are stuck with dry cleaning methods only.

OP
missjordan
I’d leave it how it is. It’s a story. Or you could tell folks the forest fires were particularly bad that year.

lol it crossed my mind but when we eventually sell our current home i want to be able to put it in a actual house

Hard to say for sure on the mount without knowing how it was preserved originally. If it was tanned you can brush it out, get it wet and shampoo, blow it as dry as you can get it, and put it in front of a fan to finish drying. It may be ok, minus the whiskers and I assume eye lashes. If it was DP’d (dry preservative) you don’t want to get it wet and are stuck with dry cleaning methods only.

I am assuming it was tanned but will definitely call my guy tomorrow and find out for sure. I can live without eyelashes and whiskers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03mossy

WKR
Man that sucks! But like you said could have been worse. Thank God the fire didn’t reach all those jugs of powder on that back shelf!!

Rich M

WKR
Glad the whole place didn't go up. Guy I fished with a couple times had his garage catch on fire - started a 1.5 year ordeal of fighting with insurance company in replacing damaged stuff.

Hope the cleanup goes smooth. I'd just vacuum the elk mount.

grfox92

WKR
Get a can of oderless mineral spirits. Get those blue Scotts shop paper towels and fold them into a square. Wipe the mount down in the direction / grain of the fur. Discard the rag and start new when it becomes black.

Oderless mineral spirits is what taxidermist recommend for basic cleaning and maintenance of your mounts. If that soot is going to come off, I'm sure mineral spirits would do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bljc34

FNG
Man I hate to hear that. Just be grateful that no one was hurt and there wasn't more damage.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like this situation could have been a lot worse. Sucks for the situation tho!

I would refrain from using the blowing portion on the elk mount. I would use the vacuum and try to suck any debris off the mount. Blowing it will just cause it go to deeper into the hide.
I would also call your taxidermist and see what they recommend on cleaning. Like I said I would NOT try to blow off the debris!
Good luck

Talk to your insurance company adjuster and get a good mitigation company in there. Mitigation companies will have the tools and knowledge to clean just about everything.

The insurance company will decide if a new cape makes more sense or if they would clean it etc.

Sorry for your loss but it could have been much worse!

WKR
Sorry to hear that. Major mess.

Great looking shop though. I'd like to see pictures of it before the damage.

Glad the whole place didn’t go up! I agree, 2021 seems to he a repeat of 2020 for some. Lets hope things get better from here.

Regarding the elk, maybe you could just say it was a rare melanistic elk?

bozeman

WKR
first, glad everyone is physically OK....
second, did you lose any gear, hunting apparel or items you need help replacing?

leave the mount as it.....call it 'ol smoky' :)