SO redcliff features

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to order a redcliff with a stove mostly to be used for 2 guys with the occasional 3rd. Maybe a few time scouting with the wife and a couple kids.

What features are must haves and what could you live without. Would you get the sxl stove or stick with the large. Stove pipe length. thank you.

when im going light i typically sleep in a kifaru supertarp with the annex

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
If you need the stove, I'd get the biggest one they have as they're still relatively small. You'll be putting wood in it every hour to hour & 1/2 or it will burn out. With 2 guys and the stove and our gear the tent was pretty full. If you have 3 guys, the gear may have to be outside. Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Copy that. I forgot to mention I have spent a handful of nights in my brothers Cimarron with stove as well.

Bearsears

WKR
If I had it to do over again and I'm mainly going with just two guys, Id get the single door light version. It places the stove in the back of the shelter instead of on one side and it gives two guys equal room on each side and the same proximity to the stove.

Unless you are really wanting to heat stuff up or cook on the stove, you can consider a lite outdoors stove also. They are longer so you can put a bit longer logs in to help increase burn time. You can still heat water in a titanium pot on it. I got the large and its plenty big enough to heat the Redcliff up really well. I also got the baffle but never had good luck with it so I dont run it anymore.

bpurtz

WKR
I have the Dyneema Redcliff and the SXL w/ 8 ft stove pipe - I would highly recommend the liners - if you use the stove in cold weather, condensation will rain down on the interior. The liner will keep you and your gear dry.

I'm not sure if Seek has changed the way the liner attaches, but I just sent my tent and liners back to have Seek add 4 mid liner attachment points on each of the liners and 8 on the tent wall. I also purchased some micro clips that I attached to the bottom cord to easily attached the liner to the loops at the tent bottom.

If you are interested in seeing the micro clips or a drawing of the mid liner attachment points send a reply and I'll drop a picture on the thread.

We regularly hunt 3 guys out of my tent and bring a small shelter or tarp for packs and other gear.

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest the 2 door model. We have it and I don't see how that could waste space as mentioned above. It gives you more options with stacking wood and is also very convenient for cleaning out and putting up. Yes you will have condensation, but bring a few small micro clothes and wipe down and good to go. Our first trip with ours was with 3 guys and an sxl stove. We had enough room for all of our gear and wood. While it was a little tight, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The 2 doors also comes in handy when you have to get out at night to pee, and not walk over anyone.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Dyneema Redcliff and the SXL w/ 8 ft stove pipe - I would highly recommend the liners - if you use the stove in cold weather, condensation will rain down on the interior. The liner will keep you and your gear dry.

I'm not sure if Seek has changed the way the liner attaches, but I just sent my tent and liners back to have Seek add 4 mid liner attachment points on each of the liners and 8 on the tent wall. I also purchased some micro clips that I attached to the bottom cord to easily attached the liner to the loops at the tent bottom.

If you are interested in seeing the micro clips or a drawing of the mid liner attachment points send a reply and I'll drop a picture on the thread.

We regularly hunt 3 guys out of my tent and bring a small shelter or tarp for packs and other gear.
I was thinking when I order I should request at least a half foot longer stove pipe. Keep sparks up a little higher. I wish they still made a dyneema version but I’ll have to take what I can get lol.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
As far as lite or standard with double doors. I’m torn. I’ve heard both arguments. Slept quite a few nights in my brothers double door cimarron and just not completely sold on it. But with 3 people I can see it coming in handy.

The other argument is the 5oz saved is equivalent to upsizing to sxl stove. I definitely don’t think the door screens are worth the extra weight penalty. I think I’d rather bring a little thermacell to keep the bugs away

I put my medium stove that I already had in the Redcliff and was underwhelmed, so I got the SXL too. I'd recommend that over the large, because the weight penalty is small compared to the extra volume you get. If you really need to feed that thing you'll be glad you have the larger stove.

My experience has been different on the liners...running the stove keeps condensation off the inside. One time I used the Redcliff in the Missouri Ozarks during the summer time and there was a lot of condensation, and then it rained, and the rain would make the condensation fall like a mist off the tent. It was actually refreshing at the time, but I could see how it would be unwelcome in a different scenario.

Get the rain cap for your stove pipe. I also think the new glass door would be a nice touch if you're car camping with the kids.

Bearsears

WKR
I agree with a lot of what was said about liners. I dont have them. The stove takes care of most of it and I pack a large sponge to take care of the rest. A sponge weighs almost nothing, liners are heavy lol.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I decided I will buy the redcliff lite, with an SXL stove. I am going to upgrade the stove pipe to be 1 foot longer to help get the embers a little further from the tent. Also going to purchase the line locks to help with ease of setup in some areas. Not going to get door screen. Will probably buy it with the liner but I doubt it will see much use except for maybe early season scouting