SO Redcliff or 6 Man tipi

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I've got it narrowed down to one of these but I'm looking for any any advise on pros or cons over one or the other.

Use will be two people during moose season(skinny water small jet boat), caribou floats etc. It won't be a backpacking tent. I'm just looking for weight savings over my Arctic Oven and still have some heat. Any saved pound in my little jet boat is that much more weight I can bring back when a large meaty critter gets tipped over.. Thanks!

reaper

WKR
I've got it narrowed down to one of these but I'm looking for any any advise on pros or cons over one or the other.

Use will be two people during moose season(skinny water small jet boat), caribou floats etc. It won't be a backpacking tent. I'm just looking for weight savings over my Arctic Oven and still have some heat. Any saved pound in my little jet boat is that much more weight I can bring back when a large meaty critter gets tipped over.. Thanks!
Go with the redcliff,more useable place + faster to pitch and look at the SXL titanium stove.
If you think youll have crazy winds maybe a tipi shape tent is better,like the 6 man.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

I just received a spanking new Redcliff combo with liners and stove. The cord hasn't even dried yet, if you follow. As such....and with my lawn totally waterlogged from recent rains....I haven't had it out of the bag yet. I did plenty of study before purchasing and I'm certain the Redcliff is a great 2-person shelter. Of course the 6-man would be wonderful as well. I'm not really sure there's a clear winner in the two, except based on personal preferences. If they were pitched side by side you'd be able to quickly differentiate and decide.

I don't mind telling you that my personal choice for 2 men on a good long backcountry hunt in Alaska is an 8-man tipi. I'm an admitted space-whore and would do what it takes to have a bigger home when camping and hunting. The Redcliff I bought is going to primarily be my floorless cabin for one man, with room for a second guy if necessary. Wish I could give you a review but simply no data. I CAN honestly say that today I'm very impressed with the quality, design and materials used by Seek Outside. They are out on point with their innovation and improvements.

I had Kifaru 6 man for years and liked it.I have a Redcliff now and while its about the same amount oh space I like the Redcliff allot better.Its easier and a little faster to pitch(especially in the dark).The rectangular shape makes the space more usable

OP
T

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys! I was leaning Redcliff and your comments have help me make that choice between the 6 man and Redcliff.

Kevin the 8 man was in my thoughts as well but finding a set up location is what took it off my list. Now you have me thinking about it again! I had a Kifaru 6 man several years ago. I liked it but didn't use it as much as the old tried and true Bombshelter so I sold it off. Where I live and hunt now a light tipi would be perfect.

So now I've narrowed it to the Redcliff or 8 man..

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
So I was considering the 8 man for my season this year and ended up going with a Redcliff. I believe that the goal of 2-3 guys with gear will work better in more place with the Redcliff than the 8 man. It should be here Saturday so I will know for sure very shortly how well we will all fit with our gear in there.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
D9A15360-285A-458E-92BE-1691474CF748.jpeg

Got my Redcliff in, set up and burnt in the stove. Even with my subpar pitch technique (first floor less, first hot tent and first tipi) there’s enough room to run a full-size air mattress on either side of the main pole with enough room for the camping clothes of the wife and I plus 3 girls. So I think 3 guys with full gear would fit just fine. You could squeeze in 4 if it was a shorter trip or if you have a tarp to put gear under. It seems like it will sleep 4 really well. The stakes it came with didn’t do so well on the rocky ground I was on and need to be replaced. I’ll probably end up with a set of the big nail style stakes for rocky ground and some tundra stakes in addition to the style supplied with the tent. My wife’s only complaint was the lack of floor but that will be remedied with a sheet or two of tyvek.

I ordered mine with screens, factory seam sealing, carbon center pole and the SXL stove. So far no regrets but depending on the performance in Afognak this October I may get the liners for it.