So stinking aggriviated

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Well after an all day back and forth BS with the Dr. office i finally got some meds coming.
Have taken more vitamins, OTC meds than i have in years.
I dont get sick to often at all but when I do it can get pretty bad. Been hospitalized more than once for this kind of shit so trying to keep from that. The less Dr.s i have to deal with the better off I am.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Go! Just take it easy for the first few days, maybe this isn't the year to score, but you will learn some things just by going. It will also set expectations for the wife that this is something you will periodically do going forward. You can never have things perfect before you go, something always happens.

Finch

WKR
I just got over something similar and had it all in my chest with a fever as well. Then it moved to my sinuses. I think you'll have time to recover. You still might be a little congested but power through! Good luck!

Sherman

WKR
Find a gym that has a steam room or sauna. A sauna that has the old school rocks that you pour water over would be the best. Sweat out all of the toxins and loosen that crud up in your chest at the same time. I am prone to bronchitis and this has been a game changer.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Last year I started a 10 day solo hunt with a sinus infection. I took my first round of antibiotics 3 hours before I started a 9 mile pack in climbing 4,000 feet. After day one I had to boil water every morning to pour over my frozen boots to get my feet into them. 5 days later I killed a buck 17 miles away from my truck.

You can find a way to make it work or find a way to let it fail. You'll find the one your looking for more often than not

20211010_064843.jpg20211011_083649.jpg20211012_163231 (1).jpg

So I havetried to go out west multiple times and something always seems to happen and life gets in the way and Im not able to go weather it be bills, kids what ever something always seems to come up and Im not able to go.
So this year finally I did my work, got my gear, tried to get in better shape, praticed a ton with the bow so im confident. I got extra cash I have been saving for the trip all the things we work for to be able to do something like this.
So last weekend I caught a cold and ill be damned if if didnt move into my chest. Now my whole hunt that I have been working toward for a year and a half is in jeopardy because of a damn cold.
For me it always seems when I get a cold it moves into my chest making it really tough to breath from when I was young and had a ton of issues with Asthma and all the times I have had Bronchitus and Pheneumona.
So now im waiting to get a script from the Dr to try and kick this stuff 8 days befor I leave.
Really frustrated right now. I sometimes wonder if its gods way of telling me i shouldnt go hunting west.
Just needed to vent a little
I feel for ya man! I had a nasty cold a couple weeks ago, and was thankful it wasn’t beginning of season.. I think you’ll get better quickly, so don’t go giving up on your trip yet, you have some wiggle room still… expect to go and stay as prepared as you can right now… think positive

Last year I started a 10 day solo hunt with a sinus infection. I took my first round of antibiotics 3 hours before I started a 9 mile pack in climbing 4,000 feet. After day one I had to boil water every morning to pour over my frozen boots to get my feet into them. 5 days later I killed a buck 17 miles away from my truck.

You can find a way to make it work or find a way to let it fail. You'll find the one your looking for more often than not

View attachment 449750View attachment 449751View attachment 449752
Great buck, and excellent perspective!

D S 319

WKR
Buddy tested positive for covid the next day I dragged him out on a hunt and he recovered well. Just get after it, our bodies are resilient.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Little sickness won't stop me from hunting. Crank some meds. Smash some rebull and run it till I cant or die. I'd rather die doing what I want than sitting in a chair, getting fat, and wasting a life away.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
As someone else said, just do it.........there are only so many seasons in your life. Even if you have to sit on a hill 50 yards from the truck.
Nature has a way of healing.

Randy

Careful going into the high country with a cold. I have seen that go both ways.

Do your best to kick it before you go.

I agree with most of what others have said.. Altitude seems to exagerate how I feel.. If I feel good it makes me feel great.. If I feel bad it makes me feel worse.. Best advice I can give (from experience) is to arrive at least a couple days early and start slow.. The biggest issue I've seen with first timers is that they are so excited about the hunt that they over do it early, then pay for it later.. Start slow and never forget to push fluids.. You have to stay ahead of dehydration.. Drink even if you're not thirsty.. If you wait until you're thirsty you're already behind.. I'd say take it slow, give your body a chance to get acclimated to the changes, push fluids and you should be fine.. You may feel like you're running on 4 cylinders for a few days, but it gets better.. Good luck and I'm hoping it works out.. Been in your situation and went anyway.. Best hunt of my life..

three5x5s

WKR
From a cup 1/2 full protective, maybe you will get to hunt in ways you haven't. Slower, watching, glassing more. Finding places to hunt that you wouldn't have been if you felt better. The game we pursue is not always where they should be or where we think they should be. Maybe there's a spot with easier access you always wanted to hunt but haven't because you always go to the difficult places.

Let me get this straight… you came on the Rokslide looking for fellow feeling and maybe encouragement? Home of the Hunting ethics BOAL thread and WKRs and dank meme-age out the wazoo?

I’m not a Dr. or an English teacher and I don’t even play one on TV, but I’ve watched many episodes of “House” and all of “To Sir with Love” so I feel qualified to give medical advice and correct grammar and spelling on the internet... where all of the tomatoes are virtual. Having established my bonafides, let’s start with spelling.

Aggriviated is not an English word. It aggravates me to see it butchered thusly. So far off not even spell check could help you. Maybe Swedish? But please don’t fix it cuz it’s some funny s**t.

In another egregious case , WV Mountaineer uses pander (usual meaning to pimp ) in place of ponder, as in “sit and think”. This is known as a malapropism and it’s fortunately hilarious. Many more in his post, but Imma leave him alone cuz he sounds tougher’n a ole boot. Beware the pitfalls of voice recognition software. Insert smiley face here.😁😁😁

Medically, it sounds like OP may have a bad case of Johnson-Smallish Respiratory Hackanosis (I saw this on House) where unexpectedly an anatomically inappropriate drainage canal has opened from the Johnson area into the lungs, causing pulmonary distress every time you piss… or get pissed. The only known cure is to rub the scent glands from a mature ungulate on your upper lip. You can do this after you’ve shot one, or do the catch and release method. Difficult but gratifying.

hopefully I’ve annoyed enough people that I’ll soon be appearing in a dank meme. As a fan of word play I’m glad we’ve invented a new and rich meaning for the word dank.

All kidding aside, drink water, take your meds, get some rest, and go hunting. If you have to scale it back by hunting out of a vehicle base camp so be it.

If it helps, consider my condition. I don’t want either sympathy or kudos. I just want the OP to have some perspective. For starters I’m fing old.. 64. I have a torn meniscus in both knees, a repaired umbilical hernia, two not repaired inguinal hernias, a reattached right bicep lower tendon, and on top of all that.. a vasectomy!! . I’ve had a persistent cough for three years. I’ve got seriously flat feet with impressive bunions on both sides. I had to have orthotic inserts made and had custom molded boots by Lathrop and Sons cuz of foot pain. I have a heart condition which makes me see spots, and dizzy quite often. I just got out of the ICU on Tuesday for ventricular tachycardia and I’m scheduled for an Afib catheter Ablation procedure next week.

Last year I did not fill a tag but put about 110 miles on my new boots at elevations from 7000 to 10000 feet while trying to do so. The year before I did not have a tag but put in about the same mileage and elevation helping my 60 year old brother fill his first buck tag. Then I helped him pack it out, about six miles.

I’m going into camp on Oct 16th if it kills me. My only concern is forcing my brother and son to shorten their trip if I manage to achieve my last wish of stroking out while chasing a giant mule deer Buck.

after reading my list of stuff that is wrong with me I believe I have achieved Tough Old Codger status. Moderators… how about a new designator for old sliders who are still chasing back country bucks. Maybe TOC or Ninja Geezer?

Let the mockery begin !!

Last edited:

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
If you aren't healed up in 8 days, that is one heck of a cold.
Better life through chemistry - pound the antibiotics and have the the Doc load
you up with prednisone. Not great for your body on a long term basis, but it will get you
to the finish line for this specific experience.
My brother has crazy sinus and lung issues, he can tell the minute things are starting to go south.
He jumps on the prednisone and and is usual back to normal in a couple days.

robtattoo

WKR
The only advice I can possibly offer, is whenever you get to wherever you're going, don't forget the 2 big things:

1. You're hunting, not alpine racing. Take it easy, go slow. I reckon a shit ton of guys march past a shit ton of game every year, trying to go further, faster. Awwwwful lot of critters get hit by trucks, if you get my meaning 😉

2. You're there to enjoy yourself. You can suffer at home (you didn't mention if you're married. It's easier if you are...). Do what you actually enjoy, not what you think you should enjoy. Wanna sleep in? Who cares, the deer live outside 24 hours a day.