so the ammunition manufacturers are not at fault for the higher prices

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I was led to believe, simply so much demand retailers can charge want they want, thus prices are sky high- not the manufactures fault, but greedy retailers.

Soooo... I've been perusing Nosler's site for the last 2-3 months (it's typically where I purchase my ammo) and not surprisingly the ammo I want is out of stock. But the price, even though they don't have any has stayed the same, which led me to believe my first comment was true- it's not the manufacturers.

Today I look and no surprise, they don't have my ammo (.308 165 gr Accubonds), BUT the price is no longer $39.99 which it has been for the last 2-3 months on their site (and roughly what I was purchasing it for), now the MSRP is $55.95. Roughly a 30% jump from a week ago.

I can only think now that even after the frenzied buying and jacked up prices, that we've now set a new ceiling- a much higher ceiling, for ammunition prices.

Makes a guy feel warm and fuzzy.

PNWGATOR

WKR
‘Something’ is going on....What a mess.

This is ALL of the ammo in the local North Idaho North 40. .243 and 22mag. NOTHING ELSE!!!

Want to shoot clays, buy a box of Turkey loads for spring, OR simply buy a box of big game/plinking/premium handgun or rifle ammo...NOT here!

There is more to the shortage than is being told.A5F4EEA3-266F-4736-A13E-B12E612E3A11.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not exactly what you are looking for, but will handle much of the same game

Should have clarified, the ammo I was keeping an eye was fully loaded "trophy grade" accubonds; I got out of reloading several decades ago. Right when manufacturers started making fully loaded ammo with quality bullets. In the olden days :) you needed to reload to get Partitions, etc.

Had I stayed in the reloading game, no doubt I would be pretty well stocked with the Accubonds I like to use- hind sight!

^ agree it does suck balls

Mosby

WKR
I reload all my ammo and just went through my brass, powders, primers and bullets yesterday. I always bought a box of something here and there when I saw a good sale price and really glad I did. I can't afford to pay the current asking prices. I used to shoot every weekend for fun. Those days are over. Time to hunker down and make due with what you have.

There's more to it. For example, a certain well known chain store used to carry my preffered reloading bullets for $27 both online and in store. For the last few months there is zero online inventory (no backorder, no shipping and no ship to store).

But since November they regularly put exactly 3 boxes on the shelf now at $36! The other nearby location also does the same thing. This is NOT new production, I garantee you the factory is NOT making these right now (low demand item).

That's exactly 33% price increase on current inventory not new production. It's highly likely they are holding back current supply to create false scarcity so they can raise the price on old inventory and increase profit. Why else do (only) 3 boxes keep showing up on the shelf at both locations and get restocked every week when the rest of the shelves are nearly empty?

I think everyone in the supply chain has woken up a realized it’s a feeding frenzy. Ammo manufacturers are definitely paying more for components but I am sure they are also realizing they can raise prices too. If they sell for pre craze prices then some shithead will resell it for a premium on gunbroker.

I read another forum where a guy sold a lot of 20 gauge 3 inch magnum slugs for $7.50 a round. That is more than 3x street price before this craze.

It seems to be getting better near me. Local gun shop had 410, 20 and 12 gauge bird shot for $100 for 250 rounds. They also had 223, 45 and 357 practice grade ammo for $0.50 a round. Limit was a box or two.

FWIW I also seem to see gun cases fill up at my local shops and prices are coming back in line. Shops were selling some things above MSRP for a while are now back down to listing MSRP and selling a bit below that.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny (or sad) example, my boss was at the local sporting good store where there was very little ammo, but they had a box of 35 Whelan (or some other pretty obscure caliber) which he owned and figured he better grab up. There was a bright orange sticker that said sale and $32.99 on it. He got it home and could see there was another sticker underneath the orange one- peeled it back and it said $19.99- yeah heck of sale!

Meedek1

FNG
The pricing will not be going down anytime soon. Vista Outdoor, who owns Federal ammunition has yes 1B in backorders.

I am a sales rep for Big Rock Sports in B.C. - we have been informed manufacturers pricing will be up 10-15% this spring which means higher costs at the till. Components costs have gone up we’ve been told.

Demand on this side of the boarder has been unreal with no end in sight.

Hoarding is an issue.

Cheers
Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn’t be upset if gunbroker went away forever.
You're kidding right? GB is the one place where actual consistent supply can be found right now. And you want that to go away?

If gunbroker went away, then all that "supply" that is being sold off of that site would most likely not be available to the general public. "Less supply" available to the general public equals what? "Higher" market prices. That would just make the same people more angry.

homers

WKR
If MSRP goes up by the manufacturer, that becomes the new baseline and won't go down later. Others, later in the supply chain to the store, are adding additional costs (profits) currently.

Lawnboi

WKR
You're kidding right? GB is the one place where actual consistent supply can be found right now. And you want that to go away?

If gunbroker went away, then all that "supply" that is being sold off of that site would most likely not be available to the general public. "Less supply" available to the general public equals what? "Higher" market prices. That would just make the same people more angry.
Do you think gunbroker is creating a false market? As in people buying stuff from retailers to sell for higher not to use it.

Either way. Luckily I don’t have to revert to gunbroker for anything.

Do you think gunbroker is creating a false market? As in people buying stuff from retailers to sell for higher not to use it.

Either way. Luckily I don’t have to revert to gunbroker for anything.
If either is a "false" market, it's the retailers not GunBroker.

In actuality, there is no "false" market as long as both sides of the transaction are acting voluntarily. The price and supply dynamics we're seeing at retailers and in secondary markets are real indicators of the current ammo market. Many retailers are trying to keep prices somewhat close to what they've been in the recent past to avoid upsetting customers who feel entitled to the right to buy ammo at "normal" prices, and those retailers are (predictably) running out of stock almost immediately. Sellers in secondary markets such as GunBroker are setting prices closer to what consumers are actually willing to pay, and supply in the secondary market is (predictably) more available.

ElPollo

WKR
The local Cabelas here has a total of one box of centerfire ammo in stock. And it's a $350 box of 470 nitro brass solids.

Hate to say this, but prices will only go down when we all quit buying and quit panicking. I think it's funny that everyone is always so pessimistic about the fact that government never accomplishes anything. But then everytime we get a democratic president, the same people expect the government to suddenly be able to pass and implement legislation that would utterly halt a multi-billion dollar industry and confiscate a 100 million firearms from private citizens. It doesn't work that way. Our governmental system is so broken that they can hardly pass any sort of bill at all. We all just need to take a breath, close the gunbroker browser window, turn the computer off, and go fishing or camping for a while until everything calms down.