SO tipi struggling with the lack of a floor

For six nights in the mountains 5 of us called the tipi Home. Not having a floor takes some getting used to but is also not without its perks. Like putting yourself boots on inside in the morning.

we all carried Tyvek or a tarp to put down covering roughly 3/4 of the floor. Even with most of the floor being covered I felt there was constant dust and dirt around my sleeping bag.

Does anyone else struggle with not having a floor? What do you do to manage the dust and dirt? or do I just live with it and clean it out of every aspect of my gear when I get home?

Attachments

• 2D900B25-91D7-43A3-8517-3E3F40920AB4.jpeg
    2D900B25-91D7-43A3-8517-3E3F40920AB4.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 164

FlyGuy

WKR
I sort of like it. Maybe I’m just weird? Dust hasn’t seemed to be a big issue but maybe it’s just the locations I’ve picked to set up on didn’t have that kind of soil?

Now that I think about it...The one time I recall dust being an issue was on a NM Ibex hunt earlier this year in February before the world went to shit. I left my Kifaru Tut pitched down by my truck as a basecamp but I spent all but the 1st and last night spiked out up near the peak. Lots of dust, “grit” really, coming off that mountain and the winds are constantly pounding it. When I came back the last night everything did seem to have a layer of dirt/dust/grit over it. My bag, pad and helinox cot were set up on the leeward side and they got the worst of it. Had to do a good bit of work before I wanted to crawl in it to sleep. That was a pain, so if you had to deal with that every day I could see why you are questioning things. If I draw that tag again I would much rather have a small, fully enclosed camper/camper shell as a basecamp. Or, at a minimum, keep my bed role zipped up tight inside a bivy sack.

From the picture above I’m wondering if the location was exposed and really wind blown as well, which maybe exasperated dust the issue? If so, that’s a fairly easy fix a lot of the time. I much prefer to pitch mine under a canopy of trees if at all possible.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Voyageur

WKR
After picking as good a location as possible I just live with whatever dust and dirt there is. For me interior dirt and dust have only been problems when I'm camping in an area without ground vegetation such as an established/often used campsite. For me a good location is one with live vegetation on the ground. Hope this helps.

hunt1up

WKR
If you aren't packing in, or if you are and don't mind an extra item, I'd consider a collapsible camping table. I purchased one a day after I got home from my moose hunt last year and just used it in Arizona where it was extremely dusty. Obviously it will not stop ground dust or airborne dust, but it's extremely handy for keeping many of your items off the ground and out of the mess. It's good for toiletries, clothes, you name it. I put mine at the foot of my cot in our tipi.

Helinox makes a sweet table but there's plenty of generic brands and variations out there. I forget what brand mine is but it's pretty much the same as this.

OP
M
I sort of like it. Maybe I’m just weird? Dust hasn’t seemed to be a big issue but maybe it’s just the locations I’ve picked to set up on didn’t have that kind of soil?

Now that I think about it...The one time I recall dust being an issue was on a NM Ibex hunt earlier this year in February before the world went to shit. I left my Kifaru Tut pitched down by my truck as a basecamp but I spent all but the 1st and last night spiked out up near the peak. Lots of dust, “grit” really, coming off that mountain and the winds are constantly pounding it. When I came back the last night everything did seem to have a layer of dirt/dust/grit over it. My bag, pad and helinox cot were set up on the leeward side and they got the worst of it. Had to do a good bit of work before I wanted to crawl in it to sleep. That was a pain, so if you had to deal with that every day I could see why you are questioning things. If I draw that tag again I would much rather have a small, fully enclosed camper/camper shell as a basecamp. Or, at a minimum, keep my bed role zipped up tight inside a bivy sack.

From the picture above I’m wondering if the location was exposed and really wind blown as well, which maybe exasperated dust the issue? If so, that’s a fairly easy fix a lot of the time. I much prefer to pitch mine under a canopy of trees if at all possible.

My buddy is giving me a hard time that I could just cover my bed roll with a tarp or section of Tyvek to keep it clean while away. Like you I am opposed to the grit and after a long day in the field that is the last thing I want to deal with.

We were set up in a fairly open area which did not help the situation but it did not seem to be an issue as long as one of the doors was kept shut. If they were both open it would lead to a wind tunnel effect.

OP
M
If you aren't packing in, or if you are and don't mind an extra item, I'd consider a collapsible camping table.

Thanks for the tip. We hiked in for the last trip so no cots, but I did carry a Big Agnus chair that was a lifesaver at camp.

I am going to look into the table for when I will be truck camping in a couple weeks.

NUGGET

WKR
Mn Hunter,
It looks like you’re figuring it out quicker than most. Floorless is pointless. Literally the only perk to a floorless tent is being able to get online and tell people you “run” floorless. That’s it. All the Nancy’s and Karen’s will disagree but they will come back to the floored side eventually.

I’m not sure if SO makes a floor option for their tent but if they do get it. You won’t regret it.

The muddy boot story gets me laughing everytime I hear it in defense of floorless tents. How about taking your boots off before you get in the tent? With no skill one should be able to unlace and step out of the boot into the tent. <floorless guys minds blown>. You don’t have to keep the boots outside. Shake them off and put them in the tent. At this point if you are still scared of mud in the tent put them on something like your gaiters you just took off. I always carry a contractor trash bag and that works great.

Floorless.....ah to be young again!

FlyGuy

WKR
Mn Hunter,
It looks like you’re figuring it out quicker than most. Floorless is pointless. Literally the only perk to a floorless tent is being able to get online and tell people you “run” floorless. That’s it. All the Nancy’s and Karen’s will disagree but they will come back to the floored side eventually.

I’m not sure if SO makes a floor option for their tent but if they do get it. You won’t regret it.

The muddy boot story gets me laughing everytime I hear it in defense of floorless tents. How about taking your boots off before you get in the tent? With no skill one should be able to unlace and step out of the boot into the tent. . You don’t have to keep the boots outside. Shake them off and put them in the tent. At this point if you are still scared of mud in the tent put them on something like your gaiters you just took off. I always carry a contractor trash bag and that works great.

Floorless.....ah to be young again!

Agree to disagree.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yep I covered that in the first paragraph. Did you get an ibex?

Not even close. Well, close for ibex. Buggered up a stalk at 80 yards. Had another broadside at 120 and everyone said to take those shots but I couldn’t make myself do it. Tried to get closer and they were gone when got there.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone has not spent enough time in a liteweight hot tent...just like anything there are many options,544AE353-3F3B-4D9E-8772-F9119ACC393C.jpeg this brand of comfort is not for everyone🤙🥃.......this made me 😂

Mn Hunter,

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Seek outside floorless here and no I won't ever go back to a floor haven't had a floor in a tent since I was a cub Scout... I'd rather shake off some grit every day rather than wake up swimming in condensation caused rainfall that never dries out in high humidity. My outfitters tent out west didn't have one and since coming east I won't have one here either although I did put in the mosquito nets, personally I carry a ground sheet as part of my sleep set up and save the weight of that floor and put it towards my stove or extra bacon and biscuits in warmer weather if I'm going to a place I'm not far from the truck on heavily trafficked campsites I'll pick up a bag of pine shavings from the farm supply store and dump that out as a floor it'll keep things clean, smelling great, and it makes a fine bedding material and I run it through the fire pit on the last day to dispose of it, I don't have problems in high wind with sand or dust because I have sod skirts but I can't tell in your picture if You guys have one or not? Only thing floors are good for is holding moisture,getting holes, adding weight, and keeping me awake listening to it crinkle in my ear all night.

OP
M
Mn Hunter,

Ross- I was under the impression that you had to go floorless for the wood stove. We did not need it for heat as much as to dry out gear after a long day of hiking. Am I correct that a floor prevents the use of a wood stove?

Poser

WKR
Ross- I was under the impression that you had to go floorless for the wood stove. We did not need it for heat as much as to dry out gear after a long day of hiking. Am I correct that a floor prevents the use of a wood stove?

Technically, you could put a strip of stove Jack material under the stove in a floored tent, but not sure if anyone has actually done this without burning a hole in their floor.

I keep my ground cloth small, just enough for my sleeping pad with a few inches extra on each side. Still gets some dirt on it but that’s just something you have to be ok with running a floorless setup.

im thinking 5 people farting all night would worry me more than some dirt!!!! If its not my family ima solo tent guy