SO U-turn vs standard stove

I bought during the blemish sale last spring, and kind of got rushed into putting the U-turn into my cart based on the speed that the shelters were selling out. I have enjoyed the stove but have always wondered how it stacks up to the standard in terms of simplicity. while the U-turn isn't super challenging to assemble it can be a little tricky especially w cold fingers. I believe fuel capacity is less with the shape of the U-turn also, but these little stoves burn so fast that I really think the capacity lost is not much of a factor to me.

Brianb3

WKR
Standard for me. U turn though lighter you it’s flimsier. Both work. We’ve run em both but I’d stick w standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple of uturns, med and large. Like you I have never had trouble with them, but they can be a bit of a monkey and football situation when putting them together cold or with gloves. I’m wondering what everyone with a standard has to say.

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
Mines a large u-turn, I’ll agree the first few times putting it together was interesting. Since then, easy, just have to take your time building it and unrolling the pipe. breaks down to nothing though and super light so I’m sticking with it. It works really well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
U-turn is harder to setup imo, have owned both and currently just the u-turn- still enjoy the weight saving though :)

Northpark

WKR
Haven’t had a standard but haven’t found any issue setting up my large u turn.

OP
W
Uturn stove arrived today and I got it assembled in about 5 minutes, no issues at all. Might be different in the field with ice cold fingers but time will tell.

For anyone considering a U-turn based on weight savings but concerned about assembly like I was, I say go for it. Unless you have very limited hand coordination assembly is a non issue.

fishslap

WKR
I’ve used a large standard stove in my 4 man tipi and lbo for several years. I used a medium u turn in my silex this year during 4th rifle in Colorado. This combo is perfect IMO. Setup was slightly more difficult but really it’s just a matter of going a little slower and being careful, mainly when inserting and tightening the legs. I don’t recall any draft or control issues.

It was warm so I didn’t get to test it in normal conditions but I think it is definitely worth the weight savings if you’re going light with a smaller shelter. Minor trade offs on the wood prep, assembly, and burn time.

If I were base camping with my 4 man I would stick with the large standard stove. If it were really cold and snowy, and I was packing in, I might consider taking the large standard stove with my lbo but I haven’t tested the u turn enough to say.
20ECFB98-5DCA-4DFB-98AE-671A45FF8795.jpeg5968DFAD-B450-4A36-A0A7-4B804F459DA7.jpeg0DD97A21-A05C-4162-968D-C6D5BF096790.jpeg

Uturn stove arrived today and I got it assembled in about 5 minutes, no issues at all. Might be different in the field with ice cold fingers but time will tell.

For anyone considering a U-turn based on weight savings but concerned about assembly like I was, I say go for it. Unless you have very limited hand coordination assembly is a non issue.

Once you burn it in and give that stove body piece a little "memory", it will be even easier to assemble.

Apparently I'm coordination-challenged. I can take a carburetor apart and put it back together with less fumbling and effort than my U-Turn stove. I just seem to always fight with keeping things together and lined up. "Almost got it. Just get this tab to go right there, and.....crap. Okay...4th times the charm."

And I love that stove when it's all set up. Best draft controls ever. Easy to light and burns nicely. Stows compactly. In operation I have but one minor complaint: the sliding door can exit the 'track' if opened a bit far. Getting the hot door back into place on a hot stove isn't easy for me. Did I mention apparently I'm coordination-challenged?

Apparently I'm coordination-challenged. I can take a carburetor apart and put it back together with less fumbling and effort than my U-Turn stove. I just seem to always fight with keeping things together and lined up. "Almost got it. Just get this tab to go right there, and.....crap. Okay...4th times the charm."

And I love that stove when it's all set up. Best draft controls ever. Easy to light and burns nicely. Stows compactly. In operation I have but one minor complaint: the sliding door can exit the 'track' if opened a bit far. Getting the hot door back into place on a hot stove isn't easy for me. Did I mention apparently I'm coordination-challenged?

Practice and repetition, especially before you head out. Set it up at home, and then do step 1 below. Then remember the other steps for all future set ups.

1. After it's set up mark wing nut locations with Sharpie. Mark the rods, completely circling the rod.
2. On next set up do all four legs and top/bottom frames first, leaving upper wing nuts a 1/4" or so slack
3. Insert front wall
4. Work in U-Turn strip
5. Slide U-Turn strip ends flush onto either side of front wall. You can reach inside through front wall to help do this.
6. Snug her up!

NOTES:
- Metal wall strip ends go on either side of the front wall, pinched between the front wall and side frames (see photo).
- Metal wall strip goes inside rear leg rods. You can see the rear rods when set up properly (see photo).
- Seek Outside photos show that they have cut a couple of slits on each side to create a tab that holds the side walls fixed to the lower frame (see photo). I've never checked if it comes with the slits and never had issues with the walls not being close enough to the side frames.
Seek_Outside_UTurn_Stove_Size_Large_1__96269.1612962543.jpgSeek_Outside_UTurn_Stove_Size_Large_2__09013.1612962556.jpg

PS. You can pick up and insert the front slide using only the non-burn-inducing wire handle. Maybe practice that at home. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's essentially their version of a TiGoat Wifi/Ruta Locura stove. The description above is pretty much a description of how they go together. I have a Ruta Locura which is essentially an XL WiFi and there are a LOT of similarities in setup and design. Uturn has a larger door opening and different draft control. Side wall fits between slots in top and bottom and slides into grooves in the front door.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk