SO Unaweep 4800 organization?

grfox92

WKR
This is the first nice pack I've ever owned, and even tho I have nothing to compare it too I can't imagine anything else being as comfortable so I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

There is one major downfall to this pack that I really don't like. There are no pockets for organization.

The last 10 day hunt I did, I organized everything in quart sized zipper sandwich bags. That worked great.

I had one with my kill kit, one with first aid, one with my cooking stuff ect. ect.

I out my tripod and all tripod accessories in one of the side pockets and water in the other.

I put all my little baggies in the outer panel that makes the meat shelf. Inside the main bag I crammed in all my extra clothing, tent, bag ect.

This system worked fine for me and I intend on using it again. I am just curious as to what other guys do to organize all of their stuff with this pack or any other pack lacking compartments and storage?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JohnB

WKR
My last big trip was with a Goshawk 4800. I did 2 days of food in a gallon zip. Clothes were used to fill up weird spaces and a couple small silnylon stuff sacks/dry bags for 1st aid, kill kit and assorted other odds and ends. It kinda sucked at the beginning and required a lot of strategic packing but after 4 days of food was gone it became a lot simpler.

SO and SG are both big on the plain oversized duffle bag type packs. Simple, no pockets or organization. I'm not an oz counter. I like pockets and organization. You are correct about seek outside comfort. Probably second to none.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Merlin or Lid can be added to add some organization. The Merlin has 3 zippered pockets, the Lid one plus one inside.

IMO, our pack with good organization or in our opinion perfect (because too much org can be bad as well IMO ... ) is the Lanner. It has 3 zippered exterior pockets, plus 3 stuff pockets, plus a full zip in the main. It can be built on the integrated via custom and is sub 4 lbs.

For me, inside a pack, I usually have these
--Sleeping Bag / Pad / Pillow
-- A clothing bag
-- a food bag
-- likely 2 pullouts with various things like stove, cordage, charger, hygiene etc
-- Kill kit if hunting
-- Tent

Outside , I'll usually have
Rain Gear / or layer if needed
Gloves / Beanie weather dependent stuff
Water Gear
Snacks
Any nav/ emergency
Head Lamp / Knife etc
Maybe optics etc or on me

Inside my foodbag ..is usually no organization .. and probably a garbage bag .. I just eat what I want when I do .. and in the AM .. I usually grab my snacks for the day or whatever .. Some people break things down by day .. but I actually just go for "X" amount of calories ... like 5 days worth ..

Of course my lack of planning probably drives other people crazy (like my wife)

Thats about it.
Kevin

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a Fortress 6300 and understand your question about organization and storage. You can do so with stuff sacks internally, by adding external space, or both.

I solved mine a few ways. First, I bought a top lid. That has easily accessible space. Second, I bought two medium belt pockets which provide a lot of space at your fingertips. I'm told the XL are even more spacious. I also wear a Hill People Gear chest pack whenever I enter the woods. It docks to the SO pack so it is weightless on my chest.

All of those are external spaces that provide the ability to organize those things you want to access without opening the main bag. Inside the main bag, I use sacks and pouches according to use (clothes, food, medical, etc..).

bozeman

WKR
I use some bags inside my 4800. I for one, do not like a lot of pockets. I use the lid for first aid/emergency and tag/ID. I have a food bag with bags inside labeled by day. I use clothes, as mentioned earlier, to fill in the weird gaps of space in the pack, but do not pack much extra clothing. My sleeping bag, pad, tent/bivy/tarp, go in the main bag as well. You can hold ALOT in a 4800 bag as I believe it is more like 5000 cu in.

Buzby

WKR
I went with a SO pack because of the lack of pockets. Pockets add weight with zippers and extra material. It’s also rare that the pocket are exactly where want them and the size you want for your specific gear. Get a few lightweight pull out bags, and ziplocks. After a few trips you’ll have a system down of how to load your stuff and access it efficiently.

The Merlin or Lid can be added to add some organization. The Merlin has 3 zippered pockets, the Lid one plus one inside.

IMO, our pack with good organization or in our opinion perfect (because too much org can be bad as well IMO ... ) is the Lanner. It has 3 zippered exterior pockets, plus 3 stuff pockets, plus a full zip in the main. It can be built on the integrated via custom and is sub 4 lbs.

For me, inside a pack, I usually have these
--Sleeping Bag / Pad / Pillow
-- A clothing bag
-- a food bag
-- likely 2 pullouts with various things like stove, cordage, charger, hygiene etc
-- Kill kit if hunting
-- Tent

Outside , I'll usually have
Rain Gear / or layer if needed
Gloves / Beanie weather dependent stuff
Water Gear
Snacks
Any nav/ emergency
Head Lamp / Knife etc
Maybe optics etc or on me

Inside my foodbag ..is usually no organization .. and probably a garbage bag .. I just eat what I want when I do .. and in the AM .. I usually grab my snacks for the day or whatever .. Some people break things down by day .. but I actually just go for "X" amount of calories ... like 5 days worth ..

Of course my lack of planning probably drives other people crazy (like my wife)

Thats about it.
Kevin
i had the peregrine, which i think is basically the same layout, and i agree, just about perfect for organization. never wished for more or less. could an integrated peregrine be put together in the custom shop? i'm getting the SO itch again, and have already justified the niche it will fill, haha. the divide with a side zip and a base talon would be a good setup too if adding a zip is an option.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i had the peregrine, which i think is basically the same layout, and i agree, just about perfect for organization. never wished for more or less. could an integrated peregrine be put together in the custom shop? i'm getting the SO itch again, and have already justified the niche it will fill, haha. the divide with a side zip and a base talon would be a good setup too if adding a zip is an option.
Yes you can do a peregrine integrated in the custom shop.
Thanks
Kevin

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using the Fortress / Unaweep / Goshawk style pocket layout with a Talon since 2013 and find it to be excellent.

Here's how I organize my gear:
  1. Headlamp, Inreach, days food, maybe raingear in the base talon. Easy to access.
  2. Extra food, kill kit, first aid, etc, is in stuffsacks in the packbag. KEY to what I do here is I use one of the internal web loops for an internal meat shelf to capture a carabiner. I loop the drawstrings for all my stuffsacks onto that carabiner. This way all I have to do to find stuff is to lay the pack down, open the side zip, flip out the stuffsacks, and get my gear. Stuffsacks stay bound to the pack so they're easy to find and don't get lost.
  3. Bulky items or big stuff go in the packbag, loose.
This system gives me some small easy to access secure storage, bigger easy to find storage for less frequently needed items, and big bulky storage for layers.

hunterjmj

WKR
Last year I bought sea to summit lightweight dry bags to help me organize my stuff better. I got a different color for each grouping and a red first aid bag for my first aid/survival stuff. It's all organized and easy to get to quickly. They all weight under 2 oz which is nice and waterproof.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Goshawk 4800, and I interchange several pieces for organization, depending on length of trip.
Lid is good.
Merlin is great (3 different pockets built into it).
1 belt pouch.
For interior organization I use FHF pullouts, might be a bit heavier (500d) but they are solid and have great construction. I just take a couple of these (kill kit for one, fire/survival in another, etc). They sit in the bottom of the pack, but having my small gear divided makes it super easy to grab what I need.