SO Unaweep packing meat

Franger

FNG
I scoured the forums and I’m not getting a great answer for this question.

Looking for a do-it-all pack for summer backpacking and Sept elk hunting. I’m trying to find out how well you can strap meat to the outside of a Seek Outside Unaweep pack. I’d rather not deal with the added 13-16oz of their breakaway packs, since I only pack meat about ~5% of the pack’s use.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
They will haul meat great, but are more designed to haul the meat inside of the bag. I run an integrated lanner (similar to their new Kenai model). It has attachment points inside of the bag so you can run a meat shelf if you want, and I really like using it this way. You can also put clothes and stuff in the bottom of the bag to keep the meat up a little higher on your back if you didn't want to have to bring that internal load shelf. Those packs can handle some really heavy loads.

sndmn11

WKR
Connect the talon to the loops on the face of the pack. I slide the gate keeper into the loops of my talon to make it direct connect without a strap in between but you could use the webbing straps with a gatekeeper on each end too. This will create a sling, especially if the pack is empty or empty-ish.

The "meat" in the picture below is a black tape wrapped salt bag, kinda hard to decipher from the ultraPE color.

1660063647209.png
PXL_20220809_164056423.jpgPXL_20220809_164624753.jpgPXL_20220809_164837992.jpg

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside: Integrated Vs. Breakaway Frame

This thread has some good suggestions on how to carry externally with the meat shelf strapped to the tabs mentioned above and the talon. I’ve been carrying 60 pounds that way on my local hikes and carrying it in the internal load shelf as well. Both ways carry weight extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

Franger

FNG
Went with the Unaweep 4800. The pack is on my back 95+% of the time as a summer backpacking pack, hunting day pack, and the occasional bivy/backpacking while hunting pack. That extra pound of the Goshawk may not sound like much, but in the realm of summer packing with friends and fam, it is. I’ll get the meat back to the truck just fine on the Unaweep it sounds like.

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Connect the talon to the loops on the face of the pack. I slide the gate keeper into the loops of my talon to make it direct connect without a strap in between but you could use the webbing straps with a gatekeeper on each end too. This will create a sling, especially if the pack is empty or empty-ish.

The "meat" in the picture below is a black tape wrapped salt bag, kinda hard to decipher from the ultraPE color.

View attachment 437660
View attachment 437661View attachment 437662View attachment 437663
Not to derail this, but how are you liking the new pack material?

sndmn11

WKR
My review, Here, is focused on the Wingspan pockets so I have only had the UltraPE Goshawk out for two scouting days. @Josh Boyd is specifically reviewing an UltraPE Kenai pack Here and would be a good/better resource on that question.

My "testing" of the material has merely consisted of throwing some paper towel rolls in the Goshawk and leaving it on the part of the patio that gets soaked from the sprinklers to see if it kept the paper towels dry. It has. My impression of the material is that it has a softer hand than Xpac, is quieter than cordura/xpac when brushing against something, and my opinion is that there likely isn't a better material for a hunting backpack if the ASTM specifications are correct.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My review, Here, is focused on the Wingspan pockets so I have only had the UltraPE Goshawk out for two scouting days. @Josh Boyd is specifically reviewing an UltraPE Kenai pack Here and would be a good/better resource on that question.

My "testing" of the material has merely consisted of throwing some paper towel rolls in the Goshawk and leaving it on the part of the patio that gets soaked from the sprinklers to see if it kept the paper towels dry. It has. My impression of the material is that it has a softer hand than Xpac, is quieter than cordura/xpac when brushing against something, and my opinion is that there likely isn't a better material for a hunting backpack if the ASTM specifications are correct.
The new material is awesome! It is incredibly durable and much more quiet than the Xpac in the Lanner I reviewed a few years back. My gear stays dry in side and I haven't been able to puncture it....even fully loaded with a bear while prying my way through an fresh burn. Tough stuff!