So whats the best GPS for hunting?

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a GPS MAP 60cs (same as the guys above). It has worked great for me for about 6 years or so now. I bought a 3 CD set of topo maps with it from Mapsource. I just load the maps on for the area I am going to (and quite a bit more) and I'm all set. I also bring a regular map and compass of course.

Now just last week I saw an advertisement for a new GPS that is paired with a SPOT tracker of sorts (same company as SPOT). Anyway, they have a GPS that you can type a message into from the field and send via satellite to people at home via text message, email message and even facebook. Looks pretty cool. The only drawback to this is they want 5 or 6 hundred bucks for it and there is an annual subscription fee. If you're really into the latest and greatest, you might look at this.

Otherwise, I say you can't go wrong with the 60cs (I think now the new model is the 62cs or something like that).

Good luck and if you get the SPOT one, be sure to let us know how it works out.

I think it’s crazy to buy a dedicated GPS when your smartphone can do everything and more. I say just use your phone and use Onyx and MotionX if need be.

mlgc20

WKR
Agree with the others. Use your phone with the OnX app. Download the maps for offline use ahead of time. I don't see any reason you'd need a standalone GPS device.

Kaseman

FNG
I do like my phone with onX. But I am also a big fan of my Garmin 755t with the chip. Used it exclusively Last week our our hunting trip out west.

Scrubbuck

FNG
Garmin recently updated their fortrex models and I love how small it is. Mounted to the wrist I love not digging for my phone. It has no base maps or chip you can put in but it’s perfect for navigating to and from waypoints. The battery life is what sold me on it. Also takes 3a’s same as my headlamp. I use my iPhone with onX as well but more for planning in the field. I like a backup when I am solo.

I still think a dedicated GPS has a place. I use a Garmin 62s with onX. I like that it has buttons so I can run it with gloves on. I like that it uses AA batteries so I never have to worry about having a dead device without a charger. I like that even in dark timber with little view of the sky I have good satellite lock. I like that it is durable as hell. I have dropped it, banged it on rocks, and gotten it wet countless times and it just always works. onX on my phone is a convenience that I enjoy but for navigating in the back country I keep on using my dedicated GPS.

Slim79x

FNG
I ran the Garmin Inreach mini on my elk hunt a few weeks ago and liked it alot. I was using Onx on my phone as my primary location device but i wanted a backup failsafe in case something went wrong with my phone. The mini worked like a charm and allowed me to use my phone to stay in limited contact with a couple of loved ones through text message as well.

Rich M

WKR
I have a Garmin GPS Map 64 and it is great - works well with the OnX chips. The GPS my folks bought me for my car also takes the onX chip and I can see it while driving the area. Then take it out, put in my GPS... I prefer to keep my phone and GPS separate.

One thing that is really cool tho, is that you can place pins on the onX on a phone - you can put a pin on a boulder 1/2 mile away and use the GPS to come up behind the boulder as opposed to trying to pick out the right one from the diff angle during your stalk. That's the only reason I am going to try and figure the phone thing out - the GPS is fine and super easy to use.

hobbes

WKR
I prefer my phone also. The only downside is keeping it charged on extended backcountry stays. You can just pop In a new set of batteries on a GPS. A phone requires portable chargers or solar systems to keep going if you use it much.

netman

WKR
I use a iPhone 7 with OnX. I bought a Garmin Montana last year with OnX chips( Montana Wyoming Colorado) for backup and never use it. It’s just more weight to pack. This year I bought a InReach to stay in contact with my wife. I have the InReach snapped on my backpack and my cell phone in my belt pouch. The Montana is in my truck.
I was in Montana for two weeks with zero cell service and could stay in touch with home using the InReach.
I have AT&T cell service which is not out west friendly. Verizon seems to be the way to go out west.
I just got back from Colorado and had horrible service. My buddy had Verizon and we were watching videos on Facebook late in the morning waiting on elk to rip off some late morning bugling.

Garmin 64.

Have been heavily utilizing a GPS w/ topos for over the past decade. I have phone apps I use, but still use the GPS a lot. I just prefer it over the phone apps. However there are certain layers on the phone apps that aren't available on a GPS so I do use my phone for those.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the new Garmin 66i this year. Ran it in Colorado with the Garmin Colorado huntview chip. It ran perfect for me and battery life was awesome. Having the ability to stay in contact with home is nice and also the sos feature is worth it for an emergency.

PennDude

FNG
I've got a Garmin 755t in the classifieds if that's your thing. I liked it for receiving weather and communicating with hunting partners. I no longer need it since I only purchased it for the trip.