So whats the best GPS for hunting?

Garmin Oregon
The 'Project a Waypoint' feature puts it over the top. Not sure a phone can do that.
This feature allows you to program a waypoint at a distance away, great for helping to find a blood trail at the spot you made the shot, or last seen the animal.

Oregonboy

WKR
I run the Garmin Oregon with the OnX chip. It’s definitely not the best but it works and I always know where I am. Biggest drawback is how fast it eats batteries.

Teaman1

WKR
Might not be top of the line, but I bought a Garmin 64st two years ago. My dad and brother both bought the same GPS after that years hunt. We all have no complaints

SoDaky

WKR
Phones are fragile.Found out the hard way.Fortunately,at least in this respect,I'm old school and have a hard topo with always.

So your saying the phones gps system will actually work on a saved map?
Yes. The gps system is separate and works even on airplane mode.

For 3 years, I carried my phone with onx and a Garmin 64s because I was unsure and wanted backup.

Finally, this year I've put my garmin 64s up for sale. It's a fine gps and I recommend it if you want a stand alone gps unit. It is in the classified section now.

I needed to be sure so I spent time carrying the extra weight. You sound a lot like me in that you want to be sure.

For you, for now, I'd recommend something like a 64s or their new version and onx. Run both for a couple years to gain peace of mind. Then. If you are comfortable, sell the stand alone unit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
W
I just want to know where the line is between public and private before I pull the trigger.

The saved maps must be something different than a .jpg or such.

Or how does the gps read a saved file to put the dot in the right place.

That's awesome.

Yes. The gps system is separate and works even on airplane mode.

For 3 years, I carried my phone with onx and a Garmin 64s because I was unsure and wanted backup.

Finally, this year I've put my garmin 64s up for sale. It's a fine gps and I recommend it if you want a stand alone gps unit. It is in the classified section now.

I needed to be sure so I spent time carrying the extra weight. You sound a lot like me in that you want to be sure.

For you, for now, I'd recommend something like a 64s or their new version and onx. Run both for a couple years to gain peace of mind. Then. If you are comfortable, sell the stand alone unit.

I did this for a while myself. I haven't carried in my stand alone gps for 4 years. Not much if any cell where I hunt.

I just want to know where the line is between public and private before I pull the trigger.

That's awesome.
Depends on the program.

Onx is an app and you download the maps you want if you will be out of cell service. They come as layers.

Avenza uses maps that come in the form of a pdf. Somehow, the pdf is overlayed to create a layer. I've used it some for motorized road maps, but I am not an expert.

Most mapping programs though download maps as layers. In not sure if the file type, but they lay over the coordinate system. Your phone gps knows where it I'd and put the point on the map.

Oregon

WKR
I have an old garmin 450 Oregon.
Not sure it’s the best, because it’s all I own. I have chips for the OnX and it has never failed me. Great unit, no pre loading maps, good battery life(I don’t ever need to leave it turned on).
A great feature is being able to share waypoints with any other garmin units wirelessly.

The cell phone thing is definitely a viable option. My issues that I’ve noticed is cold flat out eats a cell battery, charging, and rain. My garmin is waterproof. My cell isn’t. I use my garmin on my boat as well going duck hunting. Low visibility and I have saved track lines from the ramp to all my tough to get to spots.

I have roughly 600 waypoints in 10 states saved on my machine. From little draws on public Iowa land that funnel deer, to little seeps in the desert that have water that isn’t on any map.

hobbes

WKR

That's awesome.

I couldn't begin to understand or explain how it works. I just know it works.

I use it mostly on Block Management that can be cross fenced so that boundaries are difficult to discern without Onx. I use it for waypoints on big tracts of public land. You glass an elk a couple miles away in a tiny park, pull up Onx place a waypoint in the park then navigate to it.

Iphone with onX or similar app on airplane mode. If you carry an inreach that can be your redundant GPS. Only other redundant option worth the weight would be a smart watch IMO.