So who actually eats bear?

swampokie

WKR
So who actually asks this question?? Shouldnt shoot a black bear and not eat it even tho it is legal in some states. One of my favorites of all meats

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
MeatEater had an interesting experience when decided to eat some black bear meat that was not cooked sufficiently.

He will carry the cysts until a zombie eats him or is cremated.

Lowg08

WKR
I thought I would share something new I tried with bear tenderloin this evening. I soaked it all day in Pepsi then I use plant base butter and made a tin foil bowl with Montreal steaks season. I put that on the top shelf of my charcoal grill and slow cooked it in the butter. It was delicious. We ate it all
Before it made it to the table. Thank goodness for hot dogs

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, this will seem weird, but it’s been on my mind for a while:

Has anyone eaten Raccoon? I’ve heard of raccoon markets in rural areas, especially decades ago where some down-home country folk loved eating coon. Don’t they essentially have similar diet and body as a black bear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Best meatloaf I've ever had was made out of Quebec black bear. Better cook it well done.

With that said, just like a poster on page 1 or 2 mentioned, it'd be reeeaaalllll hard to get over pulling the skin back and seeing worms wiggle their way back into the meat. If its out of sight and out of mind cool but Id have a tough time eating that joker!!!!

Lowg08

WKR
im nearly out of bear meat only have a little stew left. Common October.

Scottyboy

WKR
Is there much variance between bear meat; and I mean a “blueberry spring bear” vs “garbage fall bear”? I get that their diet typically (or has influence) dictates the quality of meat, but how much of that is true?

I finally drew a tag in my home state of Minnesota after 4 years and have been reading as much as I can. From what I gather, fall garbage (bait) bears are not as palatable as say a fall bear in Montana that forages for its food.

Anyone had a baited fall black bear and a spring, or really any non baited bear, in comparison? Just curious if my tag is notched if that pepperoni sticks and breakfast sausage are on the menu, or...?

Ga-Bullet

Lil-Rokslider
A lot Of Bears Here In North Ga. I Pass On About 10-12 A Year. Don't Kill Them As I Just Dont Care For How Greasy,.Or The Taste . We Live On Wild Hog, Elk And Deer.. Last Bear I Killed Weight 419Lb. I've Had Several Freinds Kill Them 600+. Passed On One 3 Years Ago That Went 569.. Another Hunter Killed It..

Scottyboy

WKR
A lot Of Bears Here In North Ga. I Pass On About 10-12 A Year. Don't Kill Them As I Just Dont Care For How Greasy,.Or The Taste . We Live On Wild Hog, Elk And Deer.. Last Bear I Killed Weight 419Lb. I've Had Several Freinds Kill Them 600+. Passed On One 3 Years Ago That Went 569.. Another Hunter Killed It..

The one and only time I’ve tried bear was summer sausage from a fall MN bear and I completely get the greasy aspect of them. I wasn’t sure if that was my buddy having poor field care, the processor or some combination of both. I’m hoping it was user error and not the bear itself

Ga-Bullet

Lil-Rokslider
I've Never Had Bear Meat That Was Not Greasy..And Tried It a More Than Few Times.. I've Also Skinned 8-10 Over The Years. And The Grease, Will Run Down Your Arms. They Are Greasy...10-12 Years Back,I Was Hunting WMA Land Here In North Ga Mountains. I Was Camped, And Some Out Towner Camped Cross The Creek From.. They Seem To Be Popping Tops At A Pretty Fast Pace Early In The Evening.. I Also Had Came In Early. And Had Cook Deer Tenderlion Pan Fried Taters And Onions. Soup Beans And Few Fresh Ears Of Corn On The Grill.. I Invited Them To Eat.. They Declined ..Because One Of Their Uncle's Had Gave Them A Bear Roast.. They Where Cooking It In a Dutch Oven Over The Camp Fire For Supper.. Next Morning I Walk Over To Speak,And See How Their Supper Had Gone.. The Dutch Oven Was A Med. Sized About 10" Deep ..The Roast Around 6". The Greasy Was Almost Over The Top.. Two Small Piece Where All That Was Missing. All Four Of Them. Said That ..They Did Not Have Enough Beer To Get It The Bear Down.. The Two Soberest One's .Said They Thought About Coming Over To See If I Had Anything Left. But It Was Late And They Where Affraid Of Getting Shot... All Swore Off Bear Meat..

Gobbler36

WKR
When my kids were still in the house, bear meat was their favorite of the wild game meats.
My kids ask me regularly when we are having bear meat, I always tell them I couldn’t hear just to listen to them say it again! Our household loves bear, I hate to say it on a public forum because I don’t need more people in my bear spots but bear is very good meat lots of different uses for it, very pork like. At least mtn bears are, I hear ones that have access to fish is a different story

Ga-Bullet

Lil-Rokslider
If Any One Is Looking To Kill One..
And Will Be Hunting Here In Ga. Send Me Message.. Id Be Glad To Put You On a Few Places ..This Would Be On Forest Service Land..While I Cant Guarantee You One. If You Hunt Several Days And Stay In The Stand. You'll have Good Shot At Taking One.. All I Ask If You Harvest,It You Eat It.. Fannin .Co- Union-Gilmer Is Covered In Bears..