So who actually eats bear?

I've tried grizz three different times over the years, steak like cuts, no thanks! I've had black bear breakfast sausage that was pretty dang good. Had the chance to try black bear that was in a smoker pit for most of a day, pretty obvious it was into the fish for a while, a rank fishy after taste.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried grizz three different times over the years, steak like cuts, no thanks! I've had black bear breakfast sausage that was pretty dang good. Had the chance to try black bear that was in a smoker pit for most of a day, pretty obvious it was into the fish for a while, a rank fishy after taste.

They certainly take on the local flavours lol
Blue berry bears are the best IMO :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comitted

FNG
I have eaten bear from Maine and they taste alright. An Alaskan guide told me that after a certain time in the spring you can't eat them because of the amount of fish they eat.

DEHusker

WKR
I could understand if this conversation was about wolves or cougars but not taking bear meat would be an absolute travesty. The meat is a great contrast to all the super lean ungulates we eat. It has a fair amount of fat/oil in the meat which makes it far more desirable for summer sausage, pepperoni sticks, roasts, cook down, pulled bbq sandwiches, smoking, canning, breakfast sausage... I use it for anything except steaks. Take the 4 quarters, neck, and back strap and remove as much fat off the deboned meat as possible then prep and freeze it how you would any other animal. You won’t regret it.

Cougar is outstanding, BTW. A very surprising Delicately flavored meat. A lot of my buddies say it's their favorite wild game meat. Still have to cook it through due to trichinosis though.

Nathan K

FNG
I haven’t had it in years and can’t remember exactly what it tastes like, but I’d be packing it out. Even if you’re not a fan, it sounds like you’ll find someone to take it off your hands.

Juancho

FNG
You guys always cooking it >165degrees or if it's tested, cooking it more like venison?

I've always cooked it to temperature to eliminate trychonosis risk.

Flavor profile, for upper midwest bear, sweet due to berry diet and no fish.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you had to compare bear meat to another meat what would it be?

Very dependent on how it is prepared. Can be like pork shoulder in texture and flavor. Could be more like beef if done in a pot roast style, or smoked. To me, it doesn't have a distinct flavor that is strong. Tends to be mildly flavored.

Jeremy

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Very dependent on how it is prepared. Can be like pork shoulder in texture and flavor. Could be more like beef if done in a pot roast style, or smoked. To me, it doesn't have a distinct flavor that is strong. Tends to be mildly flavored.

Jeremy
I don’t see the pork comparison at all. It’s a rich dark red meat that I would compare to lamb or beef in flavor. I’m sure flavor varies from region to region and depends a lot on the bear’s food source. The only bear I’ve eaten was a Montana spring bear so my perspective is pretty limited

Bears in my neck of the woods don't eat fish. They forage mostly on hard mast, agriculture and maybe the occasional dead animal. They taste great. I take all the bear meat I can from friends who shoot bears and don't want the meat.

Eat it whenever I can. Make sure to cook to 160. Tastes like pork. They taste like what they eat so I prefer mountain berry bears myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A neighbor just gave us some black bear bratwurst he had made at the processor. MAN! Those were the best brats I think I have ever had.

mooster

WKR
took one on our moose hunt a few weeks ago. Made for great steaks in camp. Just make sure you cook fully.

D8E442CF-3C95-408C-A80F-A5C201227C00.jpeg497B534F-C05E-4ACD-B22D-AB58CE34D2BF.jpeg

Last edited:

AKaDougie

FNG
It depends on what the diet is of the bear. Berry bears taste great!

If we cut into the bear and can smile fishiness we know the meat will not taste good, however, backstraps and tenderloins will normally be just fine. 20+ grizzlies we have taken here in the Interior of Alaska only maybe 3 have been bad.

Growing up I always heard rumors that grizzly meat was bad and I have found out that is not true (most of the time).

sb7000

FNG
All of the bear I've had has been amazing. Seems to depend quite a bit depending on what the bear is feeding on.