So, who is running a Seekins Havak?

LightFoot

WKR
How do you like your Seekins Havak PH1, PH2, Element? (Is the Element out yet?)

What are your experiences?

Cartridge selection?

>>>----JAKE----->

I have a PH1 in 6.5 PRC. Only about 50 rounds through it, but I am getting a hair over 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M. I expect sub half-inch with handloads.
a5cec78412ed0c91fb3cbc4bd706260e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

freebird

WKR
I wanted one, but I hate fluted barrels. You can get one in a non fluted barrels through their custom shop, but bottom dollar through custom shop for a gun is $3500. I held one of the elements...those things are light

khuber84

WKR
I got one for my dad, ph1 6.5 prc, shoots close to half moa w/ factory eld-m ammo, handloads even better. Solid rifle for the money.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran a PH1 in 6 Creed in PRS matches for the last two years. I have just under 3,000 rounds on the rifle, just under 1500 rounds into each of two barrels. As a light hunting rifle, it’s fantastic. Not the best choice in factory form for a competition rifle, but it worked well enough - works much better now with a heavier barrel. I rebarreled to a Bartlein Heavy Palma, changed the trigger to a Jewel HVR, added a cheek riser and an Area419 Arcalock rail. It was about a half MOA rifle with the factory Rock Creek barrel, and was a 1/4moa rifle with the new Bartlein - new Bartlein going on it after deer season in a couple of weeks. It’s priced exceptionally well as a complete rifle considering the components used - the action can only be valued at about $250 when considering the street prices against street prices for all of the parts.

I’m planning to buy another Havak in 300 PRC in the Spring, meant only for hunting.

B833209A-918D-4790-9838-15BEE4AB43BF.jpeg

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
I have ran a PH1 in 6 Creed in PRS matches for the last two years. I have just under 3,000 rounds on the rifle, just under 1500 rounds into each of two barrels. As a light hunting rifle, it’s fantastic. Not the best choice in factory form for a competition rifle, but it worked well enough - works much better now with a heavier barrel. I rebarreled to a Bartlein Heavy Palma, changed the trigger to a Jewel HVR, added a cheek riser and an Area419 Arcalock rail. It was about a half MOA rifle with the factory Rock Creek barrel, and was a 1/4moa rifle with the new Bartlein - new Bartlein going on it after deer season in a couple of weeks. It’s priced exceptionally well as a complete rifle considering the components used - the action can only be valued at about $250 when considering the street prices against street prices for all of the parts.

I’m planning to buy another Havak in 300 PRC in the Spring, meant only for hunting.

View attachment 134123
Love that pic. Thanks for sharing.

I am definitely getting one.

>>>----JAKE----->

I wanted one, but I hate fluted barrels. You can get one in a non fluted barrels through their custom shop, but bottom dollar through custom shop for a gun is $3500. I held one of the elements...those things are light
What did you think of the element ? Is the action smooth, is it balanced ?

freebird

WKR
Everything about the element was smooth. I couldn't get over how light it is. I don't think you would be disappointed in any way shape or form. Also for me all I have is a nightforce NXS scope....way too heavy for that rifle. It is what a mountain rifle should be.

I have one in 300 WM, wouldn’t recommend one in that chambering. First one was a lemon and warrantied, second one hasn’t won me over yet but is doing a bit better. There are a number of others with less than satisfied experiences with 300 WM on the Havak thread on snipershide too.

OP
LightFoot

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks for the comments. I am 90% sold on one.

Decision 1, what rifle: check

Decision 2, which model: ugh... PH2 or Element?

Decision 3, what cartridge: ugh... 6.5 PRC?

Decision 4, optics: probably Leupold Mark 5

Almost as frustrating as buying a new truck.

>>>----JAKE----->

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, the Havak is light enough for me to carry afield without dipping ultralight for an aluminum Element. The 6.5 PRC is right in the groove of “no man’s land” for me. For deer, I don’t need that much powder, for out of state elk hunts, I want more. Not saying the 6.5 PRC isn’t capable, it’s effectively the new 7 Rem mag, but I personally would go 300 PRC over the smaller cased 6.5 PRC. So Havak 300 PRC would be my pick.

I’m VERY tempted, however, to build an Element with a Proof CF barrel and a Manners Compact Gen 2 in 6 Creed only meant for deer hunting.

And truck shopping is simple for me: F-150 for daily driving, F-350 or 450 for farm & ranch use.

freebird

WKR
Thanks for the comments. I am 90% sold on one.

Decision 1, what rifle: check

Decision 2, which model: ugh... PH2 or Element?

Decision 3, what cartridge: ugh... 6.5 PRC?

Decision 4, optics: probably Leupold Mark 5

Almost as frustrating as buying a new truck.

>>>----JAKE----->
There is a new VX5HD 7-35

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 300 WM, wouldn’t recommend one in that chambering. First one was a lemon and warrantied, second one hasn’t won me over yet but is doing a bit better. There are a number of others with less than satisfied experiences with 300 WM on the Havak thread on snipershide too.
I have one in a 300WM and it's shooting factory Barnes TTSX 190gr at 500yds lights out. I'm really happy with it. What problems are you, and the others experiencing?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I have one in a 300WM and it's shooting factory Barnes TTSX 190gr at 500yds lights out. I'm really happy with it. What problems are you, and the others experiencing?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

here is the warranty ticket on the first one:
739ff4665d3d7a871e45de5df37bd7a4.jpg

Second one doesn’t shoot Berger 215s worth a crap. They sent me some decent groups with fgmm 190 factory ammo that looked good enough. It is showing some promise with Berger 200.20x but still doing some odd things that I’m not sure about. Last 7 shots started by stacking first 3 touching perfect POA, the type many people would post about how accurate the rifle was. But the next 2 were touching 1 minute up and right of POA, next two were same hole a minute right and a little low of POA. Makes me want to check the scope (like I did for the last lemon). To be honest I’m just burned out on messing with it.

You’d have to read the hide on other peoples. One guys barrel wasn’t torqued in and was actually loose. Another is having issues with shifting POI like I mentioned above, and that’s on his second after the first was warrantied.

Seems like people shooting lighter bullets might be doing a little better. I didnt buy a heavy/longish 300 WM with 4" of mag space to shoot light, low bc bullets though. I have zero proof its an issue but I don't feel very good about aggressive spiral flutes with a 30 cal burning 75+ grains of powder behind 200+ grain bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sh!t :( when upscale rifle makers stop selling lemons. Personally SP dream rifle I’m was willing to spend money on. But after tray”horror” stories from hide, I don’t know what to think. I had 1st gen Montana But rifle end up being lemon. And I’m not ready to give kimber second chance. Christensen have more bad that good feedbacks on forums. So what now??? Which direction to go, to spend 2k$?