So who's going to be the first to get the Barrett??

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
People have been talking about them here well they are available on gunbroker, I'm
Actually surprised nobody grabbed one yet to review it.

It looks like ~ 1600 bucks on gb and mostly 308s.

I'd like one but I'm waiting for a 270 as I don't really need another 308.

TwoTikkas

WKR
For the price Ill have to wait and see. All that glitters isn't gold. Up front,I'd love to try one. I'm ready for a true lightweight rifle. Kimber montana roulette scares me. 2 girls in college requires a little more of a guarantee at that price. Maybe next year,if the Barrett pans out. For now Tikka is going to have to be the lightest thing in the safe.

As an aside,the twist rate of the 243 Barrett is sweet! I hate to say it,but if I were to buy one today,it would be the 243. Kind of out on a limb with the Creed and 7/08 in the line up. I never could come to love the 7/08. I tried a couple times. Just no love to be had. I'm already burned out on the Creed. The kool aid crowd. I've got a life time supply of 243 goodies. Add some slippery fast twist bullets and have at it. I hope the 243 Barrett falls on its butt. Otherwise I'm in $1600 worth of trouble.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm with you on that twotikkas.

I have a montana 308 that shoots really well so I'm not rushing out for another 308. Like you i also prefer more traditional cartridges so if I buy one it will be a 270.

Fireguy

WKR
I'm very tempted as the people I have talked to who either own one or have handled them speak very highly. Also Barrett has been in the game a long time and is well respected. If I saw one in 6.5 Creedmoor I might have to try it.

I've been seriously considering a Montana in either 308 or Creed but may wait.

dotman

WKR
Why not come out with a 6.5x284, way too many 308's in the market. I know 308's sell better but still.

TwoTikkas

WKR
The Creed in a light rifle is like hot mustard and cheese. There won't be any other 6.5 offerings until this wave has ebbed. Weatherby has their 6.5/300 that hasn't set the world on fire. The 26 Nosler shares that market. As you say,a 6.5/284 would carry a healthy amount of cool factor,but likely would die in the wake of the Creed.

GKPrice

Banned
I was on the website and also read most all the usual reviews on the interweb - only one mention of the safety system and that said simply "2 position" - Does anyone know if it has a 3 function safety like the NULA ? Timney trigger had me hoping but no mention that I've found

I'm surprised there's not more buzz over this. Barrett has long been known to produce exceptional quality guns... I am searching around and can't hardly find any hands on reviews on the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
After some of the hooplah has settled, I think I'd like to get a 25-06. The 1-9 twist will let you shoot the more aerodynamic .257 bullets and would be an absolutely wonderful sheep, goat, deer, speed goat rifle. Maybe even twist a 40 degree shoulder into it. :)

With a real (24 inches...) .270 barrel it would have been great if they would have done a 1-9 (1-8 is wishful thinking).

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We met with them at SHOT show but didn't ever come to an agreement on a review as far as I know. I'll check with Ryan and see if it's still a possibility.

FURMAN

WKR
I'm surprised there's not more buzz over this. Barrett has long been known to produce exceptional quality guns... I am searching around and can't hardly find any hands on reviews on the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their marketing is horrible and you can only get them from a few distributers. I would like to try one in 6.5 Creemoor but I don't have the ambition to track one down.

Last edited:

AlaskaEd

WKR
I may look for one in 6.5 swede. Looks like a great alternative to the Kimber Montana/Mountain Ascents for the ultralight category. Similar weights for slightly more money, or less when you consider the MA.

NDGuy

WKR
I'll wait for reviews and might snag one when they make a lefty next year.

GKPrice

Banned
I was on the website and also read most all the usual reviews on the interweb - only one mention of the safety system and that said simply "2 position" - Does anyone know if it has a 3 function safety like the NULA ? Timney trigger had me hoping but no mention that I've found

finally got a response from CS, first answer didn't address my distinct question so I kept at it, second response said it's a 2 position / 2 function that doesn't lock the bolt when in battery - just another Remington style ......

kravguy

WKR
Once I see them in the caliber I want, I will most likely snag one up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Picked up one today in 6.5CM....nice feeling rifle with a superb trigger. Weighs 5.1 on my hanging scale. This one has an 18" barrel that'd threaded.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got to handle one in 308. It was. I've andnfelt good but didn't give me whiplash reaching fornmy wallet.

I like the safety of my kimber better now I may still get one down the road but I'm not in a rush to do it. If I were dropping the money, I'd probably get a mountain ascent.