So you are going on your first Antelope hunt and you have two binos to choose from

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
In my limited experience I’d say I can find antelope with my bare eyes but having a way to determine whether they’re worth the effort is the bigger concern. I feel naked without some low powers around my neck but given the option of only one... I’d take 12’s on a tripod.

prm

WKR
I’ve elk hunted glassing above timberline for days with Viper HD (10x) and SLCs (10x) at the same time. The Vipers were surprisingly good. I wasn’t going to find anything with the Swaros that I wasn’t with the Vipers. The best I could come up with was that maybe I could identify something with the Swaros while judging a particular animal. Maybe... My wife felt the Swaros were a step up, but she thinks everything that’s more expensive is automatically better. IMO your hunt will not be made or lost with either. I‘d defer to the speed goat experts on 8x vs. 12x more than the brand.

Laramie

WKR
12x50 Vortex without hesitation. I like the higher magnification when trying to field judge and I honestly feel they are just as clear as super high end glass in most normal hunting light levels. I LOVE my Vipers.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d take the SLCs. I would want a spotter, especially if you are going to be particular about size. Antelope are notoriously hard to field judge. I don’t think the difference in 12x and 8x would make a difference for field judging though, so I’d take the better of the two.

Laramie

WKR
I’d take the SLCs. I would want a spotter, especially if you are going to be particular about size. Antelope are notoriously hard to field judge. I don’t think the difference in 12x and 8x would make a difference for field judging though, so I’d take the better of the two.
I have hunted and guided for antelope for 30+ years. A few things to consider;

An antelope 2000 yards away will appear like it is 166 yards away with 12x magnification. At the same distance, it will appear like it is 250 yards away with 8x. That is a big difference when trying to determine trophy quality.

Spotting scopes can be helpful during cooler periods of the day but heat mirage makes them useless on any setting higher than about 15x through a good portion of the day during normal antelope weather.

Talk to a group of antelope guides and you will find 90% of them use a good pair of 12x binos as their number one tool.

Just my 2 cents.

bozeman

WKR
What's the weight diff? How many miles you looking at each day (approx)? I've tried several binos and the SLC's come out on top from a pure optical performance standpoint.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have hunted and guided for antelope for 30+ years. A few things to consider;

An antelope 2000 yards away will appear like it is 166 yards away with 12x magnification. At the same distance, it will appear like it is 250 yards away with 8x. That is a big difference when trying to determine trophy quality.

Spotting scopes can be helpful during cooler periods of the day but heat mirage makes them useless on any setting higher than about 15x through a good portion of the day during normal antelope weather.

Talk to a group of antelope guides and you will find 90% of them use a good pair of 12x binos as their number one tool.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with all of that. Conditions will determine, whether it is an early season hunt, archery/rifle, location, weather, etc. I’ve been on about 10+ personal hunts, limited experience, and have 10x, 12x, 15x, and a spotter. I find myself using 10x and spotter 95% of time. If I’m on an antelope I’m interested in and cannot make it out because of mirage, I’ll try to sit on it until it’s not an issue. Half my hunts have also been in Wyoming early to mid October and snow has been on the ground 😂 Archery hunts I just need to know if they are above ears before I go scare it away, can do that with anything!

Laramie

WKR
Agree with all of that. Conditions will determine, whether it is an early season hunt, archery/rifle, location, weather, etc. I’ve been on about 10+ personal hunts, limited experience, and have 10x, 12x, 15x, and a spotter. I find myself using 10x and spotter 95% of time. If I’m on an antelope I’m interested in and cannot make it out because of mirage, I’ll try to sit on it until it’s not an issue. Half my hunts have also been in Wyoming early to mid October and snow has been on the ground 😂 Archery hunts I just need to know if they are above ears before I go scare it away, can do that with anything!
Been there lol. Boy can they run fast... It definitely changes the game if you are hunting in cooler weather. Then just about any decent binos and a good spotter are the tools of the day.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I will have a tripod with me, and I will have a spotter. My spotter is just a Diamondback HD 16-48x65, though not in the same class I’ve found the glass to be worlds above a Kowa 502 I had. The reason I posted this thread is I finally got the bullet on Swaros for the majority of my hunting (8x for whitetail in the East) and I’m in love with them. Made me question my plan to take the 12’s to Wyoming in 2021. I do think I’ll be happier with these 8’s on my chest and the spotter in the pack. Hopefully upgrade spotter in the future but that’s not in the cards in time for this hunt.

prm

WKR
I wear some Swaro 8x and then have a spotter for longer range stuff. Though I just ordered some Meopta 15x56 (good deal right now) I will evaluate as a replacement for my spotter. I really prefer viewing with two eyes.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I took 10x42 Leupold Cascades with no spotting scope on my only antelope hunt. I don’t remember wishing that I had more.
I ended shooting a 78” and some change antelope buck with my pistol.

Good luck on your trip.

JGRaider

WKR
Take the SLC's and your spotter. They'll work way better with no tripod, and with a tripod they will be more than adequate. It will likely be warm/hot weather during those hunts, so mirage will be a factor. 8x will be perfect.

ShakeDown

WKR
In 2019 I antelope hunted in August with a buddy that uses the 15x Vultures. On a tripod next to my 8x SLCs he often needed me to confirm what he was seeing because my clarity was so much better, even giving up that much mag.

His issue was how hot it was out. Heat distortion made his binos difficult so tell anything other than buck/doe at distance.

HuntWyld

WKR
Ide be curious how many of the people answering have looked through both vipers and SLC in the field? I think the choice would be much more apparent if that were the case.

Reactions: FLS

ShakeDown

WKR
I will have a tripod with me, and I will have a spotter. My spotter is just a Diamondback HD 16-48x65, though not in the same class I’ve found the glass to be worlds above a Kowa 502 I had. The reason I posted this thread is I finally got the bullet on Swaros for the majority of my hunting (8x for whitetail in the East) and I’m in love with them. Made me question my plan to take the 12’s to Wyoming in 2021. I do think I’ll be happier with these 8’s on my chest and the spotter in the pack. Hopefully upgrade spotter in the future but that’s not in the cards in time for this hunt.
Sell the Vipers, sell the Diamondback, call Doug re: Meostar S2 82HD or the Kowa 773... prosper.

ShakeDown

WKR
Ide be curious how many of the people answering have looked through both vipers and SLC in the field? I think the choice would be much more apparent if that were the case.

I have had 10x Vipers, 15x Vipers, 8x SLCs,10x SLCs and 15x SLCs. I highly recommend the 8 or 10x Vipers if you can get them for $350 and under. I currently only have the 10x SLC and the 15x SLC.

FLS

WKR
If you are taking a spotter, get the 8’s. Goats are easy to see. You’ll need to use your spotter to really judge one, if you care about score.