So you cut yourself in the field. Now what?

TaylerW

FNG
This is a question I ask myself regularly. I admittedly am a bit prone to stick myself. I do carry a first aid kit. Say you do get yourself cut fairly deep in a non critical location. Superglue, grit through and self suture? Steri strips? Would love to hear some stories on real world situations and solutions.

Thanks!
Tw

Shraggs

WKR
I did just that, cut myself very deeply on my left index finger. I bleed everywhere while getting my homemade first aid kit out.

I used achohol wipes a 2” gauze pad and I strip of kinetic tape (kinda like lukeo tape) and wrapped it tight. Kept it on for four days of hunting and healed very nicely.

rbljack

WKR
similar repair to shraggs.. I was using a saw cutting firewood and skipped the blade right into my thumb that was holding the log. I carry first aid so that's a plus. I also keep it on a external pocket of my pack so its quick and easy to grab. I let mine bleed for a while, than used my Nalgene to rinse it as best I could. Then I let used gauze to around the wound area. once I had it clean and fairly dry, I put a piece of gauze over the area, and used leuko tape to cover the whole thumb. That stuff stayed on in the backcountry for 5 days. This cut wasn't a clean cut like a knife though...the saw blade makes a jagged cut. Not sure if that's better or worse....LOL...but it healed up fine. no stitches needed. And yes, I am somewhat accident prone myself.

jmden

WKR
First time ever cutting up dozens of critters, I cut my left index finger on a solo backpack trip in designated wilderness this year. I should say that my brother had just left for home hours before, so I was solo at the time of the incident. Bled like a stuck pig and was ticked off at myself for the mistake and the time it took to properly deal with it as I was back in some seriously rugged country and a ton of work to do to get back to camp. Bit of a mini epic night...

Direct pressue is the key. Direct pressure until it stops bleeding--can take some time. Don't keep pulling the bandage off too look. That can stop the clotting process and start the bleeding all over again. A gusher can really take a long time to clot up. If bandage soaks through just add another on top. When it's controlled, wrap it with whatever tape you have to keep the bandage in place. I've always got some Gorilla duct tape wrapped around the shaft of my trekking poles--good stuff. That's what I used at that point.

I don't carry a suture kit on hunting trips, but do have one for wilderness open ocean sea kayaking trips because help can be so far and long away and expensive. One of my paddling partners is a doc, though, so it makes that more practical. I'd do it on someone else or myself if needed. Not really a choice at that point. But, generally, you still need to get the bleeding under controlled before you suture, generally. If needed, the wound should be closed with sutures or 'liquid stitches' within 6-8 hours. The liquid stitches work well too...had a cheek split to the bone under my eye put together with that. Split it on the job and our department doc used the liquid stitches back at the station--all free, no paperwork and one less trip to the ER--nice!

Back to the wound, Don't take the bandage off for quite a while and unless somewhere you have have ability and supplies necessary and preferably someone else to help deal with it--this is when you might consider doing a little cleaning and using some antibacterial treatment like neosporin, etc.. Initially, the priority is getting the bleeding stopped. The more bleeding, the higher the priority this is. If there is actually spurting blood, you may have gone deep enough to hit an artery and priority one becomes even more important and can take longer. I've used Celox powder a couple of times on folks with arterial bleeds squirting--just pour it in the wound and bandage. Stuff works. Had a guy once though, that was on blood thinners and he fell striking his head on the corner of a chest of drawers and had a squirter coming out of his temple area. Any of u guys ever dehorned cattle? It was a little bit like that--place was a mess. Nothing but hold direct pressure all the way to the ER--nowhere to put any Celox.

Heard a story of a guy that was drunk (ETOH reduces ability of blood to clot and 'thins' blood), cut himself in the thumb, went home to sleep and died in his drunken sleep from an uncontrolled cut on his thumb. Just to say circumstances can come together and make a 'small' issue life threatenting. Same issue if someone is already on anti-coagulants/blood thinners.

There's probably others on here with a better understanding and experience than I and I'm not saying the above is at all complete. I'm not an ER doc....

EastMT

WKR
I take a cut proof meat cutting glove in the field, wear on my off hand, use in the butcher shop, saves a lot of injuries in the workplace, no weight in pack, few bucks and covers the most common cuts cleaning game.

That being said, quick clot, gauze, Med tape should fix most issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

similar repair to shraggs.. I was using a saw cutting firewood and skipped the blade right into my thumb that was holding the log. I carry first aid so that's a plus. I also keep it on a external pocket of my pack so its quick and easy to grab. I let mine bleed for a while, than used my Nalgene to rinse it as best I could. Then I let used gauze to around the wound area. once I had it clean and fairly dry, I put a piece of gauze over the area, and used leuko tape to cover the whole thumb. That stuff stayed on in the backcountry for 5 days. This cut wasn't a clean cut like a knife though...the saw blade makes a jagged cut. Not sure if that's better or worse....LOL...but it healed up fine. no stitches needed. And yes, I am somewhat accident prone myself.
Ive gotten one of those too...sure is jagged!

Rich M

WKR
I take a cut proof meat cutting glove in the field, wear on my off hand, use in the butcher shop, saves a lot of injuries in the workplace, no weight in pack, few bucks and covers the most common cuts cleaning game.

That being said, quick clot, gauze, Med tape should fix most issues.

I was planning a trip and getting an emergency first aid kit together... Thought about it - must guys are prone to cut themselves while processing an animal - why not get cut-proof gloves? Been using em ever since - whenever I'm doing more than just a quick fish or two. I only wear one on the holding hand and it has kept me from getting nicks & cuts for sure. Spent 5 hours working over a cow the other day and was almost done - cut the rubber glove that was over the cutting glove... With the diseases animals have - the less exposure to their blood, the better.

Also have band-aids, quick clot, gauze, med tape, butterfly band-aids, superglue, and ace bandage/wrap.

Now that I've seen this zip suture stuff in the link above, I want a couple.

JWP58

WKR
Usually apply pressure until the bleeding stops (unless we're talking a huge gash or arterial stuff..that ain't stopping obviously). Clean as best I can, and then bandage (either bandaid, gauze/athletic tape, whatever I have).

If you carry a havalon, carry first aid supplies... just a friendly PSA.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the 80's I cut my right index finger to the bone right in front of the knuckle. I just wrapped it and taped it tight. Several days later it seemed OK, but a couple weeks later I caught it on the edge of the fridge and it popped right back open. Wrapped it again, and it eventually healed up with a nice scar.

I always carry rags and Duct tape in my pack.Cut my thigh
once to where I could see muscle.Wrapped it in paper towels
and Duct Tape for 3 days.When arrived home,Re-applied
new bandage and Duct Tape.(Nice Scar):cool:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I carry quick clot, a small vile of super glue, triple antibiotic ointment and tape. Pretty much covers anything that might happen. The antibiotic is helpful on week long trips as little scratches and stuff can start to get painful if they get infected. I’ve only cut myself once while cutting some cedar limbs back to make a quick makeshift ground blind. It was a deep cut, I was able to get it cleaned up and wrapped tight until the bleeding stopped. They still put stitches in it the next day when I came out of the woods, but I was able to address it on the mountain without it being much of a problem.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Have done the military TCCC course several times and take a refresher regularly. In my opinion it doesn’t matter what you carry if you can’t use it. In fact, if you have the right training and some supplies you can stop and arterial bleed. I’ve done it. It isn’t easy. But it is possible.

In my possibles I carry a CAT 7 tourniquet, a quick clot sponge (powder is hard to use - imagine pouring cool aid drink mix onto a garden hose, same concept with a strong bleeder and using the powder), two small compressed gauze packages, two rolls of ace bandages, some tape, a burntec dressing, antibiotic ointment and some various little add ones depending on where I’m going. Sometimes I carry a complete IFAK if I think it might be needed. My usual kit weighs 1-1.5 lbs and I can treat everything from small cuts to a serious bleeder or even a broken bone long enough to get help.

i cauterize it with gunpowder then use fishing line and super glue to stitch it. all while chewing on a stick of course...oh and pour whatever alcoholic drink you have on it...only after drinking a few good chugs of it....

At least that's what i heard works...

*zap*

WKR
1: Keep Calm and use your well/correctly stocked aid kit and the knowledge that you have acquired on how to do that.

Stabbed myself in the calve a couple years ago and used Woundseal with a bandaid. Far from a bad injury, but it kept the blood out of my boot. Worked really well.
I now keep it and a few Bandaids right in my kill kit.

Stpet291

FNG
Funny this came up i was putting my kit for colorado together from the big kit out of my truck. In my opinion, a tourniquet, a large tourniquet style bandage with clotting agent, vile of super glue( not liquid skin) then i have two different clotting agents. Cilox and woundseal. Remember, if you get a cut that is gushing, tourniquet to stop it, clean it as best you can, then clotting agent. Wait several minutes then very slowly return blodd flow. Clealry if the cuts on an artery get help and dont take off the tourniquet. Ive been made fun on several forums be cause of my kit but i want to give myself or anyone i run across or with a chance at living. The plastic bag some stuff comes in can be used for a sucking chest wound. Please think outside the box. Etc.......stay safe have a plan....karma is following all,of us.

Wash it off with clean water, try to get any dirt or foreign material out. Wrap it up with what you have. Ideally, some kind of gauze and tape. If it’s bleeding, hold pressure with your hand. If it’s still bleeding, apply pressure with your finger until you find the exact spot to hold pressure. All bleeding stops eventually..

Once it’s done bleeding wrap it up with tape, go to a doctor (if it’s bad enough). If you are superglueing, stitching, butterfly taping it yourself you are asking for an infection/abscess. Don’t close it yourself!! Seriously!! Just wrap it up and keep it from getting dirty. If it truly needs to be closed then you need it professionally cleaned out to avoid infection. If you decide to close it up yourself, but it didn’t really need it, again you are drastically increasing the chance it will become infected and need to be cleaned out (maybe even in the OR if you are unlucky enough). Dont don’t don’t close these yourselves guys!!