So you got up to $1,000 for a new .270 Winchester...

nrtzz

FNG
Hey all, I'm in the market for a new .270 Winchester... This is a budget for the rifle only, already have optics for the rifle. I would like to keep it in the $700-$1,000 range... further away from $1,000 the better.

Rifle will primarily be used in Texas for deer hunting, and hopefully one day I'll take it out west for Mule Deer, and or Elk.

A few of the rifles I have been considering are ;

- Bergara B14 Ridge
- Bergara B14 Hunter
- Browning X Bolt
- Tikka t3x
- Howa 1500
- CZ 557 American
- Weatherby Vanguard

Am I on the right track here? Any other suggestions, or any of these to stay away from?

I really like my Bergara B14 Hunter, but I think my next rifle with be a Weatherby. I really don't think that you can go wrong with anything on your list. If you can look at all of them unbiased and in person locally that would be the place to start. I've always found that the gun picks it's owner and not the other way around.

OR Archer

WKR
Bought a Bergara B14 Ridge and I’ve been very happy with it. Accuracy is great and I have taken a couple of bears already with it. Great “budget” rifle.

TxxAgg

WKR
CZ if you want walnut/blue

Tikka if you want synthetic/stainless

SDHNTR

WKR
Of those, CZ or Browning, or the HS version Howa. Rifles deserve better than plastic stocks.

zacattack

WKR
I will start saying I have no experience with any of those, but if you have any inkling of nostalgia or for the history I’ll throw in another vote for a pre-64 Winchester. Get the featherweight, mine is not and it’s heavy as crap. They are also awesome rifles. I have one that’s still putting meat in the freezer after 70 years of use.

OP
N

nrtzz

FNG
I will start saying I have no experience with any of those, but if you have any inkling of nostalgia or for the history I’ll throw in another vote for a pre-64 Winchester. Get the featherweight, mine is not and it’s heavy as crap. They are also awesome rifles. I have one that’s still putting meat in the freezer after 70 years of use.

I am considering that also, I already have a ruger from the 70's I inherited, fine shooting rifle I just wanna keep it in the nice condition it currently is.

Mosby

WKR
I would get a Tikka or an older rifle. You can find some really nice older 270's, which would be my first choice in that price range.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Winchester .270 wsm when I graduated college. I had the trigger adjusted and the barrel floated for distance for my western hunts. Put a high quality Zeiss scope on it and probably put 1,000 rounds through it in 15 years. It sucks past 200 yards. I didn’t know it and blamed my own inadequacies. Bought a Tikka T3X 3 years ago and put another Zeiss scope on it. I can drive tacks prone at 300 yards. Shot 500 yards twice for the first time ever for tickles and grins. Here’s the results. I’d go Tikka.

Attachments

• 965A820F-33BC-4C34-A964-857E3B8A9C54.jpeg
    965A820F-33BC-4C34-A964-857E3B8A9C54.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 109