So you got up to $1,000 for a new .270 Winchester...

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
260 rem magpul rem700 Right now on midwayusa.com

On sale for $675 but there’s A $75 rebate. Sell the stock and get a custom built carbon or fiberglass and still be money ahead.

already threaded barrel For suppressor as every responsible hunter should have, and threaded bolt handle and never ending custom parts out there on forums

boom

Winchester Model 70 featherweight, or Kimber Hunter. Perhaps a used Kimber Montana, or Winchester Model 70 extreme weather ss. Topped off with a nice fixed 6x scope.

bdg848

WKR
I just bought the b-14 ridge in 270 but have not shot it yet so i'm not much help. All I can say is that it feels a little front heavy....

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I’d echo the Pre-64’s, Model 70 Extreme Weather, Kimber Hunter or Montana, Howa, and Weatherby. All of those I have owned or used have been good. I’ve handled a few Bergara’s in the store and really like the look and feel of them but don’t have any first hand experience with them.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeing up a Bergara in 6.5 but I’ve blown my “fun money” for the next couple months on a AR build. Those dang parts add up quick!

Your top 4 options are good choices. I lean tikka or bergara but my x bolt has been great too.

In regards to wood stocks and bluing... if you want a rifle to look at that's your prerogative but i prefer rifles as tools. There's a thread right now on the sheep forum about how to maintain your rifle during a sheep hunt. Solution: dont buy a rifle that needs to be maintained during a hunt.

ODB

WKR
Tikka is the easy answer.

I bought a model 70 classic stainless for 650 and a used, never bedded HS stock off eBay for 225$. Tack driving mofo...

USMC-40

WKR
Your top 4 options are good choices. I lean tikka or bergara but my x bolt has been great too.

In regards to wood stocks and bluing... if you want a rifle to look at that's your prerogative but i prefer rifles as tools. There's a thread right now on the sheep forum about how to maintain your rifle during a sheep hunt. Solution: dont buy a rifle that needs to be maintained during a hunt.

Valid point, but there is a massive difference in Texas whitetail hunting and sheep hunting.

OP
N

nrtzz

FNG
So.... here's another question lol.. a few other places I've asked this same question, I'm being preached to about switching to a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 CM..... and told .270 is "outdated and unnecessary" more or less.

I have always been a fan of .270 Win, this new rifle is a backup to an inherited .270 I have which I will use on occasion, but not everytime I go out as I want to keep it in the nice condition it is. So I planned on saying with .270 Win so I can stock one type of ammo.

Is there any reason I shouldn't stick with the .270?

LightFoot

WKR
So.... here's another question lol.. a few other places I've asked this same question, I'm being preached to about switching to a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 CM..... and told .270 is "outdated and unnecessary" more or less.

I have always been a fan of .270 Win, this new rifle is a backup to an inherited .270 I have which I will use on occasion, but not everytime I go out as I want to keep it in the nice condition it is. So I planned on saying with .270 Win so I can stock one type of ammo.

I have a 6.5 PRC and I love it, but...
A 270 Win will do everything I will ask my 6.5 PRC to do, just cheaper.

The advantage of the PRC is that you can cram it into a short action (need a 3 inch mag box) and it will retain velocity with very high BC bullets.

If you are planning on stretching shots to 600+, the PRC may be a better choice, but ultimately still unnecessary.

It is sexy, though!

dcc6fa3c5eb0d04ff4b41f0824721265.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

There is NO reason not to stay with a 270. None.

CLASSIC cartridge. PROVEN cartridge. EXCELLENT cartridge. VERSATILE cartridge.

4274A2ED-5D30-4986-B53E-0330F38B449D.jpeg

Antelope, caribou, sheep, Yukon moose, Sitka blacktail, mule deer, and truckloads of whitetail have met their maker via my 270. I have used a multitude of other calibers all over the US and Canada and if someone told me all I could use for the rest of my days in North America I would be happy as a clam. I will never agree a Creedmoor is better in any way than the good old 270 JOC. 6.5 PRC looks pretty good but the only reason to switch is to have something different.

Texas Whitetail scream .270 in a classic wood stocked rifle.

OP
N

nrtzz

FNG
There is NO reason not to stay with a 270. None.

CLASSIC cartridge. PROVEN cartridge. EXCELLENT cartridge. VERSATILE cartridge.

View attachment 212238

Antelope, caribou, sheep, Yukon moose, Sitka blacktail, mule deer, and truckloads of whitetail have met their maker via my 270. I have used a multitude of other calibers all over the US and Canada and if someone told me all I could use for the rest of my days in North America I would be happy as a clam. I will never agree a Creedmoor is better in any way than the good old 270 JOC. 6.5 PRC looks pretty good but the only reason to switch is to have something different.

Texas Whitetail scream .270 in a classic wood stocked rifle.

About what I figured, I am not doubting the cartridge at all.. I was just wondering why I was being preached to switch to one of the newer 6.5s and being bashed about the .270

Anyways, I am working a deal on a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight right now, it's 2 years old never fired so it's from the FN Portugal factory..

if that falls through, I am thinking about getting a Howa 1500.. I checked out Cabelas yesterday and looked at most of the rifles on my list, all were good but the Howa to me held its own especially for the price point.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The new kid on the block is always appealing...

lots of Models 70s around like you mention. Classic fmFeatherweights are really nice. I’ve had 270s in both blues and stainless. You could definitely find a lightly used Super Grade Classic for $1000. I miss my Super Grade.

For ballistic geeks the 270 isn't sexy because the lack of high BC bullets and barrel twist rates of the factory rifles. For normal hunting distances a 270 ballistics look better than 6.5 creedmoor and are about the same as a PRC. Basically a 6.5 would give you the option to use a short action and a PRC would buck the wind slightly better.

TxxAgg

WKR
About what I figured, I am not doubting the cartridge at all.. I was just wondering why I was being preached to switch to one of the newer 6.5s and being bashed about the .270

Anyways, I am working a deal on a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight right now, it's 2 years old never fired so it's from the FN Portugal factory..

if that falls through, I am thinking about getting a Howa 1500.. I checked out Cabelas yesterday and looked at most of the rifles on my list, all were good but the Howa to me held its own especially for the price point.

Hard to go wrong with a Howa. I prefer to replace the trigger, but they are solid and very accurate.

scooter25

FNG
I've shot a 270 from my teens to now, 20+ years, and have taken coyotes, antelope, mule deer and elk with it. I think the 270 is a great all purpose caliber. I personally love the browning xbolt. It has the smoothest working action I have handled.

MThuntr

WKR
I have a 270 Win Featherweight which isn't actually light by today's standards but so far I really like it. Killed a couple antelope but being a blued wood stock and future AK hunts I decided I wanted a cerakoted rifle. I have a Kimber Hunter Pro and it's a shooter but Kimber Roulette is a serious issue even today.

Handled a new Weatherby Vanguard First Lite in 270 the other day at the range. It wasn't the lightest but it balanced really nice. It has a brake which I thought was unnecessary but watching the guy shoot it I think that it would be a nice option. Out to 600 yards I wouldn't second guess a 270 especially with something like a 150gr bullet.