So you got up to $1,000 for a new .270 Winchester...

SDHNTR

WKR
Don’t fall victim to the 6.5 hype. It’s just the pretty new girl at school. .270 is as solid as it gets and anyone who argues its real world effectiveness is a darn fool. And to that end there’s no better rifle to own a .270 in than a classic M70. Jack O’Connor anyone?

Sevens

WKR
Another vote for a M70. I would go with a stainless featherweight or the extreme weather. Watch gunbroker and the forums, you can usually pick one up well under MSRP if you're patient.

Just make sure it has the claw extractor.

OP
N

nrtzz

FNG
Well - The model 70 I was looking at sold, and I tried getting the Howa 1500 Hogue. But. Sportsmans Warehouse is not currently shipping ANY guns to ANY FFL dealer and won't be until next month, at the earliest.

I have decided to go with a Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard in .270 Winchester, I am going with the Cerakoted Burnt Bronze model.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
.270 you can go wrong. I've been using a savage the last 15 years and been happy with it. Based of your list I would go with the tikka. Buddy just got one and took it to the range last week.

1. In your price point
2. great trigger
3. accurate gun
4. synthetic stock can handle it all

SDHNTR

WKR
Well - The model 70 I was looking at sold, and I tried getting the Howa 1500 Hogue. But. Sportsmans Warehouse is not currently shipping ANY guns to ANY FFL dealer and won't be until next month, at the earliest.

I have decided to go with a Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard in .270 Winchester, I am going with the Cerakoted Burnt Bronze model.
Hold out for a M70 Classic, IMO. You won't be sorry and will be glad you did. Nothing wrong with the Howa, but it's no M70. Plenty of them available on gunbroker.

Yarcher

FNG
I'd lean towards a Browning, my A-bolt in .30-06 shoots tiny groups. Otherwise if you want something lightweight, the Kimber Hunter is an option in your price range.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
All those rifles are going to shoot. Its not 1980, if you pay 500+ for a rifle its going to shoot, and most come with sub MOA guarantees. Seeing as how you're not in the PRC circuit, .99 moa and .65 MOA doesnt make a lick of difference. My dad has a ruger american in 270 that shoots as well as his christiansen 6.5CM, but the christiansen is exponentially better looking and fits like a glove. Wood looks great but my wood stock guns only come out when the weather is nice and they don't travel. I appreciate the aesthetics but there are more durable materials. Question is, what do you want in a rifle? My advice is go hold all those guns in your hands and pick the one that feels the best.

KYKRAZEE

FNG
Hey all, I'm in the market for a new .270 Winchester... This is a budget for the rifle only, already have optics for the rifle. I would like to keep it in the $700-$1,000 range... further away from $1,000 the better.

Rifle will primarily be used in Texas for deer hunting, and hopefully one day I'll take it out west for Mule Deer, and or Elk.

A few of the rifles I have been considering are ;

- Bergara B14 Ridge
- Bergara B14 Hunter
- Browning X Bolt
- Tikka t3x
- Howa 1500
- CZ 557 American
- Weatherby Vanguard

Am I on the right track here? Any other suggestions, or any of these to stay away from?
Of the rifles you mentioned I'd probably go with the Browning. However, I've seen several on here suggest the venerable Winchester M70....not gonna go wrong there. Another one to consider ,albeit a bit above 1k....Christensen Mesa is worth lookin into. GOOD LUCK!

jason HTX

FNG
So this is exactly the situation I'm in...looking at the same rifles in the same caliber.

How are you liking the vanguard?