So you want to shoot Trad

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
How many humans do you know that work that way though? Most of us have to learn the hard way ;)

I thought this thread was about the best advice for a newbie. My advice would be to ignore this thread. It introduces a lot of shit that a new shooter would be best to avoid until they have their form locked down.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
I thought this thread was about the best advice for a newbie. My advice would be to ignore this thread. It introduces a lot of shit that a new shooter would be best to avoid until they have their form locked down.
Well now they know….THAT YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY-

Sheesh Tater you are too much.

-

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Well now they know….THAT YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY-

Sheesh Tater you are too much.

-
Never said that. Can you honestly say that when a person is first starting out that they should be concerned about tuning arrows and the nuances between a recurve and a longbow?

Really?

Did you show your kids videos on formula one racing and how to do a Rockford when they asked you to teach them how to drive? Maybe you explained the difference between synthetic, semi synthetic and conventional oil instead of teaching them how a 4 way stop works?

It's funny because I've never heard Tom Clum, Arnie Moe, Anthony Camera or any other coach mention it except to say not to worry about it until you have your form down.

You think you're helping. You aren't. You're making things worse, and confusing people new to the sport. But by all means, carry on, wouldn't want your feelings to get hurt because of some honest criticism.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
New thread:

So you want to shoot trad?

By a bow, see coach. The end.

Personally, I don't shoot trad. But I find this thread helpful as I consider maybe making a move to give it a spin. I'd rather know what I am getting into fully before diving in. Just my opinion.

Reactions: GLB

GLB

WKR
You know when I got my first bow in the 70s I was a complete sponge on everything I could find on how to shoot with it. I would read and watch anything archery to learn. I studied Fred Bear and Howard Hill and would try to emulate them. I wanted to be good and couldn’t get enough information.
I would have loved to have just some of the information that we have today. I guarantee I would have dived in with all I could.

Wrench

WKR
This is awesome. Ive been at this for a couple of decades and just learned how i aim in the last year or two.

The masters of the barebow, clum, et al did a good job of showing me how to see what i was doing.

I personally would sponge as much info as possible from as many sources as possible and see what works for you.

Do know that you have no business shooting bares or hyper tuning until you can recognize the aspects of your shot sequence and know what went right and wrong.

I hand my buddies several different spines and length arrows and dont care where they go as much as how they got sent on the ride......usually they all end up where they should be when launched well.

Practice the hook.

Practice the grip.

Practice the anchor and expansion.

Do it at targets and no targets.

Analyze what went wrong on your last shot before it gets there.

Expect to fail a good bit....enjoy it and have fun.

Pigskin

FNG
Some great advice on here Beendare, especially for a new shooter, heck even for us older shooters, I personally like fixing the little things (form) with video as you know, even though I like split finger, low anchor I still from time to time shoot 3 under high anchor just to compare the different feeling with some of the bows I own, keep the good info coming.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Wrench covered it pretty well above.

About the only thing I'll add is when you have a day where you're shooting like crap (and you will) put the bow down and walk away. I'm pretty bull headed and it took me a while to learn I can't shoot my way out of those days. Now when I'm having one, I move up close, real close, make one really good final shot to end the day on and I hang my bow up and try again another day.

Wrench

WKR
Agreed. You have to be one seriously disciplined SOB to shoot your way out of a slump. Many just make it worse.

Reactions: zbb

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Blind bailing is great for working on single aspects of your form. It removes any type of target panic or aiming and allows your mind to more easily focus on a single aspect of your shot.

Ahutch

FNG
What is archery to you?? Do you want to be an olympic level archer? Do you just wanna watch arrows fly? Do you hunt? Are you just a backyard foam hunter??? None of it really matters...

Some folks get locked down to one train of thought, and nothing else matters, that's ok.

For me, not you, but for me archery is not a sport or a hobby. It is a passion, it is a release of all the negative bs in my life.

Do I strive to be better? Absolutely! Will I be the brady ellison....lol, not even close, and that doesn't bother me one single bit.

I picked a bow the very first time I was about 5-6 years old. The closest thing to instruction I a had was a picture of fred bear that was on the package. I tried to mimic the shooting style/position of fred. Did pretty good, I think, for a kid that knew absolutely nothing other than you pull it back and let it fly. I became a hunter that very same day, although, I got my ass beat and never seen that bow again, all in the same day.

Since, I have a couple experience's with archery till about 20 years ago. I decided I was gonna be a bow hunter. Still knew nothing more than string it an fling it. I had some extra money so bought one of the latest and greatest compound bows on the market I bought magazine after magazine soaking up any little piece of information I could to shoot better. And yes I got very good,believe it or not. Then it happened, I came across a used grizzly at a local pawn shop for $40. Never once did I shoot that compound....lol. I was hooked!!

Took my first deer ever with that grizzly, that very same year. As my oldest daughter was about 12 she was wanting to join dad in his adventures. So of coarse I came up with a bow for her to shoot. And proceeded to show her everything I knew, well that didn't work out so well. I sucked all the fun out of it for her. Hold your bow this way, pull that way, do this, do that, no that's wrong....lol. Ya lock that form down first, works like a champ!!! Anyhow, now I got 3 boys that seem to love archery as much as I do. Guess what? I let em fling em and have fun, while giving them pointers here and there. They see improvement in their accuracy, and keep having fun.
So, where do you see your yourself when you daydream?? Me, I've come to a place where I want to be more accurate than I am. Will I be bringing home a hold medal....hell no! I've got to much other shit in my life to deal with to be able to focus that much time and energy into. That's ok. Will I be the most accurate hunter I can be?? Hell yes!!
Infact! I have become more consistently accurate in the last year do to the time I've spent trying to better understand the shot process, the mechanics behind being accurate. If anyone that has ever seen me shoot in the past, wouldn't likely believe how accurate I've become.

I will say this, if my shooting is to become even more accurate, more consistent, then yes I am at a place that will demand a coach to tune me.
Honestly, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now, not saying I have no desire to improve it, because I do and I will, as other commitments allow.

As far as the comments made about this post being shit, well that just ain't true regardless of what you think. But hey, more power to ya!

Y'all be good and don't forget, this shit is fun!!!!

Hutch

Rick653

FNG
Threads like this are why I joined up. As a newbie daily practice has been my best friend. Even if it's just a dozen or so shots a day, I always try to get my fix in