Soaking game bags

cgasner1

WKR
Does anyone soak the game bag in citric acid before they go in debating on trying that this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good idea, I may have to try that this year

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve heard of people soaking them then letting them dry just curios about how much water to acid they use doing that kind of thing

Nope, I don't use citric acid, nor vinegar. Just game bags and I make sure that the wind can circulate around each section of a butchered animal.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
not recommended and has no scientific validity after 24 hours as a meat sack, but i wont bore you with the data except to say citric acid is a prescription for a set of conditions around our meat like a pain killer is for migraine. It's great to have when you need it but expect not to very often.

Temps > 60F = yes
deep wound channel treatment = yes

The reason I don't recommend pre-soaking game bags in citric acid is two-fold: 1) bacteria doesn't begin to grow or replicate until its environment (our meat) stabilizes, which takes roughly 18-24 hours; 2) once meat has made contact with the surface of the pre-soaked bag material, the "dose" is applied and the surface pH will temporarily lower (but inconsistently when tested) for up to 18-24 hours before pH levels return to baseline...however that "dose" is unnecessary until 24 hours post harvest anyway. Think of it like taking a pill for a headache you'll have tomorrow...

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Works for me I’ll just bring the powder incase I need it