SoCal New To Hunting

timr00ger

FNG
What's up! I am a new hunter in San Diego area looking to meet up with fellow hunters.
I have been interested in hunting for the past few years, but this was the first year I put boots on the ground. It was not much of a successful harvest year, but I did learn a lot.

Due to Corona sketchiness my Spring Turkey tag went unused. I have seen quite a few of them on private, but never on public when out hiking or mountain biking.
Had tag soup (D8) for my deer tag. I only got out there once for a summer scouting mission; saw 2 does, a fawn, and 2 bears. (I saw a ton of bear sign and not too much deer sign). Then the week I had blocked off to hunt was shut down due to the massive fires, so I never actually got to hunt for deer.
I have had one successful weekend out quail hunting and it was a blast!

As you can see, I am pretty much up for hunting any of the game out region has to offer. I am only looking for public land, DIY hunts.
I love backpacking and hiking off trail to get away from the other hunters. My plan for 2021 is to get a D Zone tag for rifle and an AO tag to just get out there more.

Looking to meet up with a similar minded group of people who don't mind teaching a novice the ropes. Also down to meet up for saltwater (bass/hali) and trout fishing!

Thanks!

Vegas03A3

FNG
I did a lot of backpacking growing up, so I’m looking forward to that style of hunt as well. Harvest transport would be a logistical issue though... bring a game dolly?

Best wishes for safe and happy hunts!

OP
timr00ger

timr00ger

FNG
I am looking at purchasing a hunting specific backpack with a load shelf. The one I think I will get is the EXO MTN Gear K3 4800.
Worst case scenario is a a few trips from kill to truck and back using my Osprey backpack that I currently have.

Thanks! Safe and successful hunts to you too!

BangNasty

FNG
hi! im from Socal too, where do you go hunting out here? I live in orange country so i assume i have to go very far away

OP
timr00ger

timr00ger

FNG
hi! im from Socal too, where do you go hunting out here? I live in orange country so i assume i have to go very far away
Yea I go to Los Padres and Sequioa NF mostly. But there's decent upland hunting in the high desert off the 15 too. Anywhere from 2 to 6 hour drive usually though.