Social media censorship getting a bit nuts

I noticed a few hunting sites I follow have gotten dinged here lately. I thought it was a bit much but this one is just batshit crazy.

Facebook censors king cake babies for nudity. No kidding | nola.com

For those that wouldn’t know what a king cake is, it is a large round ring cake - think big circular cinnamon roll - with frosting and decorations. Traditionally they would hide a gold bean in the cake and whoever got the piece with the bean was king of the Mardi Gras parade. If you don’t know what Mardi Gras is, well that is sad and you should get out more.

Anyway, These days it is most commonly found at kids parties in the weeks leading up to Mardi Gras and instead of a bean it is a plastic baby. Whichever kid gets the baby hosts the next party.

Facebook is now censoring the pictures of the babies because they are nude. Inch tall, not anitomically correct, plastic toy babies. Batshit. Just batshit.

CorbLand

WKR
Private entities. They get to make their own rules on whats allowable and not.

Disclaimer: I don't Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest or any of those "this is ME!" sites.

Given the uproar over Facebook's lack of oversight and management (Zuckerberg facing congressional inquiry) I'm not at all shocked to see them take a harder line on censoring the categories of stuff they don't want. Easier to keep all nudity out versus hand-pick what goes and what stays I suppose. And perhaps unfortunately, plastic babies don't make the cut. Because freedom of speech is only a figure of speech, we know there is no inherent right to express ourselves without limits. Websites will censor, and it's their right. It's our right to go elsewhere and I've done that when websites don't suit me.

Generally I wouldn't be greatly affected if all the sites I listed decided to close up shop. Social media holds almost no importance for me.

Last edited:

Diesel

WKR
Same here Kevin. Social media has no value to me. It can be used against you as well as in destroying your privacy, or inviting ire.

I see it as a serious threat, citing what happened in Egypt as an example.

16Bore

WKR
The problem with social media is its a lollipop for suckers that believe anything on the net.

And everyone knows it.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I'm not part of the "LOOK AT ME" part of society. I don't need an audience for everything I do.
I'm on a couple of hunting forums with like minded hunters, that is the extent of my social media.
All those other popular social media sites can do whatever they want.