Social Media, Hunting, and Pictures...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting article that was referenced in the WSF Newsletter today....
MultiBrief: Should you refrain from posting your hunt on social media?

John, the author, states this question at the end of his article:
"What steps do you think we should take that allow hunters to share their experiences with their friends and family, while at the same time also "put our best foot forward" for non-hunters?"

Thoughts?

My take is tasteful photos, photos that honor the animal and tell a story vs. honor the hunter and show a conquest. But, my definition of what that means is probably quite different that that of a someone against hunting..... ??

FURMAN

WKR
To the anti hunting crowd there is no "tasteful" dead animal pic. It is a lose lose situation with them. I think the real question is do we hide from who we are? Having said that I do feel there is a right way and a wrong way to take pics with your "trophy".

I stopped posting pictures on the internet years ago not because of non hunters, but other hunters. IMHO it has ruined many fine areas. There are always a few people who ask what unit or what tag and a few knuckleheads will post the answer right there for the world to see. You can gather so much information from a single post or story and the OP may not even realize. I have seen pictures guys have posted of successful hunts with a picture of the trail head and trail number they walked in! Now, did I save that picture for future reference, you're damn right!

Ill show you in person and share the story when we take a look at the hunting album and sip on a few beers. That is more satisfying than getting a few likes on Facebook. Call me old fashioned.

I stopped posting pictures on the internet years ago not because of non hunters, but other hunters. IMHO it has ruined many fine areas. There are always a few people who ask what unit or what tag and a few knuckleheads will post the answer right there for the world to see. You can gather so much information from a single post or story and the OP may not even realize. I have seen pictures guys have posted of successful hunts with a picture of the trail head and trail number they walked in! Now, did I save that picture for future reference, you're damn right!

Ill show you in person and share the story when we take a look at the hunting album and sip on a few beers. That is more satisfying than getting a few likes on Facebook. Call me old fashioned.

Couldn't agree more but unfortunately a lot of people don't get this at all. And this site isn't any better than any other form of social media IMO. Not the site per say but some of the members.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen some mixed feelings on this topic, you have guys who share the same opinion as you (myself included) then you have the guys who say screw it (usually with other verbage) and if they dont like it then screw them who cares show blood thats how it is.

I personally don't care to see those pictures because generally they aren't creative in a photography sense. I would rather see a few really awesome camp site pictures than 100 regular kill photos shot with the same pose as everyone else. There are some REALLY cool kill photos shot in creative ways but those aren't the guys who show gory photos either. I tend to post more creative shots that I think are cool and interesting and with the exception of one photo, they have all been non kill photos. So I wouldn't say I am catering my photography to the anti hunter rather to my photography likings. If this makes sense.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the animals taken are a such a joy to see, as a hunter I recognize the effort it took to get that critter, so my awe at a well taken photo is certainly different than that of a anti - hunter. I think in reality its pointless to fight the anti hunters, but rather we need to win over those who are unsure of what they think of a hunting. IMHO, a good picture tells a story, both about the journey and the animal. Sadly, I don't have a single photo of a taken animal that I feel meets that mark. Every time I think I will do it better and I get to caught up in the moment...

Our ability to capture the adventure, to show responsible use of the animal (meat, hide, etc), and our efforts at conservation are winning non-hunters (not anti hunters) over. I met a young couple at a NAVHDA dog training event and the whole reason they were there was to be part of the process in their selection of food. They wanted to start hunting, loved dogs, and thought birds would be a good starting place. I was impressed by how the people treated them there and I think that is part of how we will continue to grow the tradition we all love. They were extremely interested in hearing hunting stories and what people thought of the meat.

tracker12

WKR
Except of my hunting forums I am not on twitter or facebook and have no plans to join. Im happy sharing a few photos with friends.

Social media isn’t going anywhere and its growing in numbers of participants while hunting’s future is questionable at best as the numbers of hunters shrink. In that context all hunters should put some thought into the pictures they post on the internet and treat everyone of them
As if it might be viewed by someone who doesn’t understand what they are looking at and someone who may or may not be a future vote against hunter’s rights.
Its the new norm and part of our duty as hunters now to ALWAYS put our best foot forward, no different than packing out the trash you bring into the field so that you leave the place better than you found it. We have to leave hunting social media and television better than we have found it in the last 30 years of bloody mangled tailgate shots and kill shot heavy outdoor television. Times are changing, adapt and evolve or die.

I will address the OP now, my first response was a little off topic. If posting photos online for all to see I think we need to make sure they are tasteful and not overly grotesque. I think social media, especially the business side (Instagram hunters, Youtube hunters, etc) , have really changed what is now photographed and shared on a successful hunt.

I cannot remember opening a Field and Stream or Outdoor to read some hunting stories back in the 90's and seeing a picture of a successful sheep hunter kissing her ram or a successful elk hunter taking a bite of the heart. Make sure the photos you share show you have the utmost respect for the animal you just killed. I feel like a lot of the younger social media hunting shares are more concerned with share and likes than what it really means to be a hunter.

I think any kill pics posted on social media will only be well received by hunters. Non hunters just won't get it. For that reason, I don't bother to post.

However, I also think it's up to us as a hunting community to dispel the myth that we only hunt for sport. I have a couple vegans on my team that went vegan only because they believe the treatment of animals for commercial meat is unethical. When they found out that I hunted, and that I eat everything I kill and my freezer is full of ethically taken, organic meat, they are supportive of my efforts, and said that if they got their meat that way, they would eat it.

We can't change the world, but every little bit helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Grip & grins and posting photos of your kills I don't really see an issue with. Posting a photo of a backstrap you cooked is probably better. As long as the photos are respectful to the animals, there isn't a problem in my eyes. As mentioned above, anti-hunters will never be happy barring some sort of wake up call, I think its important for the future of hunters that we don't turn neutral people (who I believe are the majority) against hunters by posting distasteful photos.

The ones I have a problem with and think are bad for the culture is when photos are coupled with hashtags like #whackemnstackem, #ifitsbrownitsdown, etc. or when people use that PETA frame/filter that says "Shoot Selfies, Not Animals" around a picture of their kill.

I have to watch my every P’s and Q’s at work 7-4 every day to not offend snowflakes in any way shape or form.

I won’t coward from being proud of myself as a hunter, but when successful the pictures are tasteful.

Blame the retards on TV “BOOYAH” acting like blood thirsty freaks (then getting busted shooting multiple deer with one tag) for ruining hunting as a whole.

I’m tired of bending and conforming to adhere to this new PC culture. Allowing them to walk all over us, won’t lead to a rational debate and an end goal that’s mutually beneficial. I’m happy to share the woods with cyclist and hikers. I refuse to hide my heritage though.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting article that was referenced in the WSF Newsletter today....
MultiBrief: Should you refrain from posting your hunt on social media?

John, the author, states this question at the end of his article:
"What steps do you think we should take that allow hunters to share their experiences with their friends and family, while at the same time also "put our best foot forward" for non-hunters?"

Thoughts?

My take is tasteful photos, photos that honor the animal and tell a story vs. honor the hunter and show a conquest. But, my definition of what that means is probably quite different that that of a someone against hunting..... ??

I will have an article posting soon in regards to taking proper, tasteful photos that will help all out as hunters and can relate to this topic. Watch for it!

I find it distressing that a hunter with an animal they killed will be flagged "for the sake of the children" but a bimbo doing obviously provocative things can stay up.

I think the people who get way bent out of shape over it are a noisy minority. Most people are ok with hunting as long as its ethical and the animal is used. If I ever share anything, which is rare, I try to approach it from that aspect. I've shared lots of pictures of processing animals, both hunted and farm raised, and have been able to have some good conversations as a result of it. I do think we can use social media for the benefit of hunting and hunters.

I don't really get the kill shot reel thing but I don't find it more offensive than a fight video or any MTV music video. (do they still do music videos on MTV?)