Socks, Sock systems?

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Crispi boots when I drew a Chugach tag in Feb. They felt amazing but as they broke in I noticed a little pinch in the toe. No knock on them, my feet are 10EE and I got reg. boots because they felt so good. Then there was a Crispi fathers day sale and I got the right size.

Now the 2nd pair of boots are a little loose. I wanted to wear a sock and a liner, but I have never worn a liner before and What I'm finding just seems like a sock (internet shopping). Is there a specific thin/lightweight liner I should look for to pair with the smartwool socks I've been wearing?

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You can get silk liners, they are basically a thin sock. REI has some that are ok, though I feel there should be something better.

You can also go with a thin cotton sock with a wool sock over it (I know several wildland guys who recommended this). I suspect they go with cotton because synthetic melts and having a different material on the inner sock helps the outer wool one pull minister away from the skin.

Wrench

WKR
I get a weird rub between my toes in some boots. I went to a merino toe sock (think socks for vibram 5 toe shoes) under my thorlo mountaineering socks. I have never been happier.

Last few years, I have been wearing polypro liners made by Fox River under Darn Tough boot height merino wool socks. The liners are very thin and wick moisture from my feet, where cotton will stay damp and lead to cold feet. It's been working out very well.

I also spray my feet with scentless antiperspirant.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
For a long time my feet were my weak point. (Thanks to my dads genetics I’ve got bunions that make my big toe cross.)I’d get hot spots or blisters long before my legs or my desire to keep going gave out. Then I got serious about socks. The best system I have found is the injinji merino liner socks (toe socks) and darn tough medium cushion over the calf hiking socks. Works great. The injinji liners keep me from getting blisters between the toes and the over the calf hikers stay up all day without bunching or sagging. Give it a try. If it doesn’t work for you I’ll buy em.

mlgc20

WKR
Numerous good options to solve this issue. I've had good luck wearing thin polyester dress socks as liners. I also like the Injinji toe liner socks. Best to experiment a bit and see what works for you.

I really like coolmax liners from Bridgedale then I wear Gore socks over them until the gore wear out. This is the best system I’ve found. Far better than darn tough for my feet and 6-8 others. My feet don’t like merino liners either

tdot

WKR
I much prefer compression socks as a liner. Been using them for 3 or 4 season in my ski touring boots and now a couple season in my hiking boots. They keep my feet from swelling on multi day trips and so can stay with a tighter fitting boot.

Yes they suck to put on in a small tent, definitely get that sorted out before you leave, or get a bigger tent.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
We use to steal my mothers nylon stockings or shoe liners (basically ankle high nylon stockings) to wear under our socks in cleats/boots. Worked amazing and was cheap. Just be sure to buy her new ones or go buy your own. Cheaper then the sock liners that are now available.

What works best for me (YMMV), is the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner sock, with the Kenetrek Alaska wool sock over them. Feet stay warm and dry, and the 2 sock system offer plenty of cushion.

Kenetrek liners seemed pretty thick to me when looking at them at Scheels... to me seemed like they would be too warm if hiking in colorado sept. weather. Opted for the super thin nylon-like liners that were cheaper. Going to see how they work this week.