Socks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Smartwool was my choice for years, but recently noticed a big decline in quality; shrinkage and durability.

Two years ago I started wearing Darn Tough and I will never buy any other brand. The comfort level, breathability and durability are second to none. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty for those who feel that socks should last more than 3 years.

Darn Tough sounds good. I think I will give them a whirl. I noticed a dip in Smartwool quality as well a couple years ago, but my last couple pairs have been like they were in the good ol' days.

Lawnboi

WKR
iv bought all smartwools, ill try darn tough next. I am good at the moment on socks though.

I wont pay full price for smartwool though, i have gotten all sets for 10 bucks or less on sale.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just run a single pair of socks and never even tried sock liners a I have never had an issue. Often i wear the same pair for a week or better, no need to change them out just cause.

Lawnboi

WKR
Does everyone in here also use a liner with their socks? Or are you just running with your single pair of socks?

I have some merino liners, i rarely wear them as a liner, but they work awsome for hot weather. Ill wear a liner sometimes if its really cold.

If you get liners merino wool is the way to go, didnt care too much for the poly liners

X3 on the Costco socks, very comfortable, wear tough, and great price. I'll bet that between my son and I (we wear the same size now!) we have 15 pair of these.

OreTK

FNG
Another vote for the Merino Wool Costco socks! 4 pair for $11 or $12 and they wear like iron! I wear them everyday, even in the house.

I use some silk sock liners, both during warm and cold weather hiking. Had them for years and think I bought them at REI?

Last edited:
B

bearguide

i will try the costco socks / i am using smart wool and cabelas outfitter series socks / i like them both, but for wet conditions i have noticed that the cabelas dry out faster than the smart wool

I just got in the new First Lite wool socks!!! 75% Wool 23% Nylon 2% Spandex. Can't wait to give them a go!!!

IMG_8884.jpg

Hey guys and gals!!

Just packing my gear up getting ready to head to Kansas for some early spring Thunder Chickens!!! Just tried on my First Lite socks and I must say...I have never had a wool sock that fit me so well. Typically I am between sizes and therefore I am either SUPER tight or I am swimming in my socks which as you all know is NOT a good situation.

I usually wear a size 8.5 and with the sizing of the First Lite socks I went with S/M which tops out at 8 and I couldn't be happier with them. I found a new sock to take into the back country with me!!!

Thanks Kenton and the whole crew at First Lite.

Pueblo

FNG
So I'll throw in another option into this Sheep love fest....Bamboo. I have four sets of Ecosox brand bamboo hikers. I have not used them in stream crossings or overtly wet near freezing conditions, but I have used them for tough August hunts in Nevada for Mulies. They feel like cotton, but keep their shape and comfort for days at a time. Where a cotton or synthetic would loose form or cause blisters, these just don't. Using them with my Salomon Quest boots I put on 12 miles off trail in the steeps one day and never got a hot spot. I'll be using them again this summer.