Socks

Ridgetop

FNG
Since socks are at least as important as the boots we wear I thought a thread was warranted. A guy can be wearing 300+ dollar boots and 40 dollar insoles but if he's got on cheap cotton socks that keep his feet wet all the time he's gonna have foot problems on a backpack hunt. So what kind of socks is everyone wearing? My current favorites are Smartwool PHD ski socks in medium or light weight, they have all the features I like in a sock, merino blend, arch and ankle bands, thin but warm, over the calf length, and extra padding on the shin.

OP
R

Ridgetop

FNG
Anybody have any experience with Drymax socks? One of my buddies wore them on his 100 mile endurance run and during the training for it and he swears by them.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
smartwool hikers and i got some redwing socks and they seem as good as smartwool and they were $10 a pair, i wore a pair for 3 days in a row just to see how bad they would stink and there was very little smell, i day with cotton and the smell pretty bad.

bowinhand

WKR
REI merino wool socks they have a higher wool-nylon % than smartwool I haven't noticed any difference in quality or durability either.

I like heavy socks with a lot cushion seems that after a few days the thinner ones compress too much.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like DarnTough socks. Use the Hike/trek boot sock model in Cool max merino in full cushion,http://darntough.com/hike-trek-1441.html . I have two pairs on every trip, one pair to wear in my boots in the daytime (this pair sometimes gets wet either from sweat or if I go over my boots on a creek crossing) and one "always dry" pair at the tent to wear at night. I have been successful getting the wet pair to dry overnight thrown in my sleeping bag.

Last edited:
I have used Drymax, Coolmax, Darn Tough, Smartwool, Cabelas Cold Weather, Under Armour, and Merino wool. All did well, but honestly I'm not that picky with socks, and didn't really notice a huge difference between any of them.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Injinji 90% of the time unless it's going to be super cold then I'll wear some smart wool over the Injinji liner socks.

aggieland

WKR
Very interesting on the Costco socks.. I wish we could all come together here and decide what the top three choices are for socks.. I use cotton socks at work and they suck suck suck.. I have told the wife i'm going to make the switch to nothing but some kind of wool..

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Best kept secret out there, Costco Merino wool socks! They are the same as Smartwool medium hikers. Difference is 1% wool content at a 3rd of the price. I too wear them daily.

X2 on the Costco merino socks, they are great I wear them daily as well! Just wish I had bought a smaller size to try as the larges stretch a bit too much for me. I'll have to wait til late spring/ early fall to try n find them again.

rpoutside

FNG
Smartwool was my choice for years, but recently noticed a big decline in quality; shrinkage and durability.

Two years ago I started wearing Darn Tough and I will never buy any other brand. The comfort level, breathability and durability are second to none. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty for those who feel that socks should last more than 3 years.