Sodium Tabs

sr80

WKR
Anyone use sodium tabs on backpack style trips? A lot of times on big hike days, usually days when hiking pretty much all day it doesn't matter how much water I drink, by the end of the day i still have a headache, and sometimes at night will wake up with leg cramps. Ill usually power through my 3L water bladder in a day. I was thinking maybe trying some sodium tabs, thoughts?

P Carter

WKR
I use them for long mountain runs, but hunting I’ve just made sure to have salty foods, like salted peanuts, and that seems to do fine.

jhm2023

WKR
I alternate my drinks. For every nalgene of water I drink, I drink another one with some type of electrolyte replacement mix. Just water alone doesn't cut it for me. I also carry a pack of rehydration salts as a backup in case I get really dehydrated.

This rite here is the sauce. There chewable and kinda tasty. I get cramps bad. I keep these in my bino harness. There's different flavors. And rolls and pouches. But its cheaper to buy bottles on Amazon and these little pouches.
20190622_101853.jpg20190622_101922.jpg

I recently did a 21 mile day in 88 degrees and humid. My buddy and I drank probably 2 gallons of water each and even added some Nuun tablets. Late in the day he gave me a salt pack that I added to my water. It made my water taste really salty, so I was worried I’d get the shits. Everything was good, and we got up a walked another 17 miles the next day in similar conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like a product called gatorlytes. Made by Gatorade company. But it’s not a flavored sugary thing. It’s basically a packet of salt, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Really helps with hydration. Tastes like seawater by itself. They recommend mixing with gatorade.

Electrolyte gels and nuun work fine too. Just learn what your body needs as far as water vs electrolytes.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I use Pedialyte single serve powder packets. Easy to pack, mix in nalgene, what doctors will recommend for dehydration outside of a IV. Better mix of electrolytes without all the sugar of other drinks.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I first started using them on long runs, doesn't completely prevent cramps (some are simply caused by severely fatigued muscles), but it has helped me.

I now use them on any long hikes (including hunting), but don't take them near as often (hourly running vs maybe every 4 hours hiking)

obviously you still need to hydrate regularly

This is going to sound odd but when I was working in AZ, outside hiking all day, I use to have a little bag of salt and would just take a pinch with water. It would help with cramps. Most important thing is to listen to your body, heat injuries are no fun.

This rite here is the sauce. There chewable and kinda tasty. I get cramps bad. I keep these in my bino harness. There's different flavors. And rolls and pouches. But its cheaper to buy bottles on Amazon and these little pouches.
View attachment 106242View attachment 106243

Sold! I have serious issues with cramps a lot of the times, and regardless of how much water I drink, it makes no difference. For the last several years I’ve been mixing powdered Gatorade in all my drinking water while on the trail, and that has helped a little, but I still get them. I’ll definitely give this a try.

Trial153

WKR
I take a different route. Cliff shot blocks in margarita is loaded with sodium....if figure might as well get some food and engery out of it as well.

Sodium tabs have historically not helped performance. The binding agent in the old school tabs was found to keep most of the tab in tact in the gut for as long as 3 days when looking at X-rays. This causes water to gravitate towards the guts rather than to allow perspiration through the skin, effectively inhibiting your body's ability to cool itself. It's also mostly speculation as to why we get cramps, but if you want to check sodium intake off of the list for electrolyte imbalance as the source of cramping, I would go with your typical sports drink (gatorade, powerade, cytomax etc) or eat salty foods. Sweat has been analyzed to see what we lose from the body as far as electrolytes go, and products try to restore the constituents that were lost in sweat, but unfortunately that is not how the body works. Just because you lose X amount of salt in a day during activity, it does not mean that drinking a sports drink with X amount of salt to replenish the salt will get you back to baseline. It usually takes some rest and a couple of feedings, but the sports drinks and salty foods are the best we have. There is no magic.

I dose Redmond real salt. About 3-5 packets a day on top of my already salty food and drink. I should probably just carry it in bulk but I like the packets. It seems to work better when I consume the salt with my energy intake and stay on top of it rather than trying to play catch-up.

I know that all bodies are different but does anyone have a idea as to how many mg's of sodium you need in a day? when mountain hunting.
It completely depends on your body composition and your lifestyle/diet. I'm in ketosis and require a lot of salt (not sodium per se) to remain hydrated. Electrolytes are compromised of more than sodium. I typically drink more water than 3L per day too, more like 4 liters (a gallon).