soft boots to replace kenetrek??

AkRyan

WKR
i have had a pair of kenetrek for 2yrs now and i really like them but i have found my knees hurt like hell after 2-3days of hiking in them. my thought is because they are stiff my knee is required to twist/bend instead of my foot/ankle. does any one have a soft boot that holds up to abuse?

I’ve had danner elk hunters for 4 years now and have held up great. They are really flexible but take a long time to break in due to the design.

The hanwag trapper top may fit your needs. I replaced my kenetreks with them and have been happy. I thought they would be too "soft" and not offer enough ankle support but thats not the case. One thing I really like is that they have a rounded sole which "rolls" when you step rather than the abrupt hit with the kenetreks. My back feels better wearing these.

NMHTR67

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan cougar or lynx may work for you as well. I have been wearing them for about 5-6 months out of the year for 4 years on hunts. I then started wearing them year round. Comfortable an very tough. I think the kenetreks are really nice boots, but a bit bulky and loud. Good luck

Rokwiia

WKR
does any one have a soft boot that holds up to abuse?
Do you mean soft or flexible?

I have the Schnee Absaroka which are very stiff like your boots. They are a 7" boot and I don't tie them all the way up. It allows my ankle to move which has helped absorb energy rather than transfer it to my knee.

I also have the Schnee Timberline, which have a flexible bottom and allows you to flex your foot.

I've always believed that tall boots which are rigid require your knees to take the punishment and will eventually cause a problem. I've worn low trail runners all of my life and now only wear leather boots because I'm in rattlesnake country. Otherwise, I'd give the leather boots the heave ho.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the Hanwag Trappers. The slightly raised heel and toe create a rocker effect making it easier to walk in comfort. The Tatra Top has this same feature as the Trapper.

Lowg08

WKR
I have horrible knees too. I use scarpa boots just the right amount of stiffness and soft enough not to kill my knees. I’m wearing the ZG LITE GTX right now. It can be had for less than 200 right now.