Soft shell comparison - Arcteryx, Sitka, Kuiu, SG - others?

Looking for advice on these soft shells -

Sitka Jetstream
Arcteryx Gamma MX
Various Kuiu offerings
SG DeHaviland

These are the ones I’m most interested in(in this order). I’m not really big on camo patterns, if I buy Sitka or Kuiu it’ll be a neutral color anyway. Main use will be base camp only so weight isn’t a huge concern. No way I’m lugging a soft shell into the backcountry. The Jetstream is the most attractive due to the Windstopper, however as I haven’t personally used it, I’m not sure how great that would be while hiking.

Anyone have any direct experience with these? I’ve seen numerous threads regarding soft shells so my apologies for starting another.

I have the kuiu axis hybrid. It's a great piece. Water resistance is good and wind isn't an issue. For cooler weather I'll stick to layering though, as insulation isn't what it's for. Sizing up is a must with kuiu if you go that route.

Wrench

WKR
Although not on your list, I compared the jetstream with bora pants under them with similar layering at temps down into the minus teens and the perspiration build up with the jetstream was noticeably more than the bora. Both did well at wind stopping....and I could feel the outline of my bino harness due to the low temps.

OP
J
Although not on your list, I compared the jetstream with bora pants under them with similar layering at temps down into the minus teens and the perspiration build up with the jetstream was noticeably more than the bora. Both did well at wind stopping....and I could feel the outline of my bino harness due to the low temps.
Yeah that’s what’s making me second guess the Sitka piece. It being windproof sounds nice but I typically run hot. I know most of these have pit zips but it seems like if I were moving I’d have to keep them permanently open with the Sitka.

Wrench

WKR
To be fair, I had two thermals, a sawtooth and a brooks range puffy under the jetstream. Similar under the bora....sub the brooks for a UA down pants. I had a 12 mile 4 wheeler ride to our hike in point all in sub zero temps. It was a fair performance, but the bora breathes incredibly well.

The jetstream is quieter and kryptek fit is odd, sitka has that nailed.

OP
J
To be fair, I had two thermals, a sawtooth and a brooks range puffy under the jetstream. Similar under the bora....sub the brooks for a UA down pants. I had a 12 mile 4 wheeler ride to our hike in point all in sub zero temps. It was a fair performance, but the bora breathes incredibly well.

The jetstream is quieter and kryptek fit is odd, sitka has that nailed.
The fit is why the SG piece is so far down my list. I’ve heard from more than one post that the fit is “weird”.

I’ve had a Jetstream and SG. Currently running the SG. I love it. However, I would recommend sizing up if you really plan of layering. It’s a nice piece, but if weight isn’t an issue and you don’t care about the extra money, I’d say go with the Jetstream. I’ve been seeing a lot of good things in the Kuiu axis. My cousin who works Kuiu shows in Canada raves about it. It would be worth one looking into I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have sitka jetstream and SG dehavilland bot great jackets.

Jetstream is heavier for sure and a warmer jacket. I've abused the hell out of mine soaked it through a few times over the years and it's still in great shape. I use it as a outer layer when I know it's gonna be dry and cold. I can layer over a puffy with it or be active with it over lighter layers and mitigate heat with the pit zips and what not.

I've had the SG for about a year now, worn it bear hunting, sheds, summer scouting, and running dogs. It's held up great, I'd say it breathes a little more than the jetstream. I wear it more as a 2nd layer, if I puff up I'll keep it on and put a puffy over it. Wear it more like someone would a sitka mountain jacket.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I have all the jackets you mention except the KUIU and the Gamma MX is my favorite. It’s just as quiet if not quieter than all the others (if that matters) stops the wind well enough while still breathing, the fit is...correct. The Stone does fit weird. Kinda like when you put a men’s jacket on a woman and their hips are too wide to let the jacket fall right. Big fan of the de hav pants but the jacket was a whiff. If I want true windstopper I’ll supplement with either a hard shell or windstopper vest. Also I don’t like pit zips because they always seem to turn into ice cubes and I feel them on the inside of my arms.

tdot

WKR
I prefer the Kuiu Guide over the Arcteryx Gamma MX, by a slight margin. I find it does everything just a little bit better. I find these two to be the best of the many softshells that I've tried.

I can't stand Windstopper, I personally dont think it works and negates one of the primary benefits of soft shells, which is superior breathability over hard shells. Even one of the top guys at Sitka stated that he prefers 2 layers of Windstopper, if he actually wants to stop the wind.

My all time favourite softshell is from Patagonia, it's an ultralight climbers softshell. It doesn't pretend to be moisture resistant or wind proof, but it deals with both well enough to function uo until a hard shell is required. It's light enough to bring along in place of a long sleeved mid-layer (ie Kuiu Peleton 240), breathes incredibly well, quiet, acts as an outer layer or a mid layer. I really would love to find something like this in the hunting world.

Kostrize

WKR
My all time favourite softshell is from Patagonia, it's an ultralight climbers softshell. It doesn't pretend to be moisture resistant or wind proof, but it deals with both well enough to function uo until a hard shell is required. It's light enough to bring along in place of a long sleeved mid-layer (ie Kuiu Peleton 240), breathes incredibly well, quiet, acts as an outer layer or a mid layer. I really would love to find something like this in the hunting world.[/QUOTE]

I have a Patagonia PCU Level 5 jacket that pretty much fits this description exactly. Thin, tough nylon that is wind and water resistant but won’t cause you to overheat in high exertion use as easily as fleece lined soft shells. Other than the FL Corrugate I don’t know of any comparable unlined soft shells in the hunting industry. You can find some Multicam Level 5 soft shells in EBay, generally made by other manufacturers but they’re the same material

OP
J
I prefer the Kuiu Guide over the Arcteryx Gamma MX, by a slight margin. I find it does everything just a little bit better. I find these two to be the best of the many softshells that I've tried.

I can't stand Windstopper, I personally dont think it works and negates one of the primary benefits of soft shells, which is superior breathability over hard shells. Even one of the top guys at Sitka stated that he prefers 2 layers of Windstopper, if he actually wants to stop the wind.

My all time favourite softshell is from Patagonia, it's an ultralight climbers softshell. It doesn't pretend to be moisture resistant or wind proof, but it deals with both well enough to function uo until a hard shell is required. It's light enough to bring along in place of a long sleeved mid-layer (ie Kuiu Peleton 240), breathes incredibly well, quiet, acts as an outer layer or a mid layer. I really would love to find something like this in the hunting world.
You mention the Kuiu Guide - how is it compared to the Peloton 240? I’ve heard differing things between the two.

My idea for this jacket is a light insulation/windproof piece for sitting on ridges in august/September. This past august i was sitting on a ridge in Eastern Washington cold as hell. The sun was warm but the wind was not - I ended up putting on my Grumman... it was absolutely overkill but it kept me out and gave me a shot on an animal I otherwise wouldn’t have seen if I hadn’t put it on. A guy a couple ridges over from me bugged out about 20 minutes before yogi popped out - I assume he was cold. He put on a regular hoodie of some sort about 15 minutes before leaving. To be fair the wind was downright chilly.

I figure once it gets colder I can layer under/over it as needed.

...and by “windproof”, I mean “wind resistant”. I realize a soft shell isn’t going to 100% cut the wind.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
The Peloton 240 is definitely a mid-layer, I wouldn't try to use it in place of a soft-shell in the situation you're describing. I only use it during times of high energy output when I want a little more protection from the elements, but once I stop, an outer layer goes over top.

IMO the situation you are describing is borderline for a softshell. But it should be able to handle it, assuming you have a decent fleece or thermal layer underneath, or the wind doesn't have any moisture in it. My limits for a softshell are any type of moisture (even heavy Westcoast fog) and winds above 15-20mph. I'll typically put on a hardshell at that point or an additional insulation layer underneath the softshell.

mcseal2

WKR
I often use a Sitka mountain vest over a Kuiu Peloton 240 in place of a softshell jacket. It cuts wind well without overheating me as easy. When I stop for a long time to glass as soon as I dry any sweat I add my Superdown Pro set and maybe rain gear over it depending on conditions. Its been a pretty good system.

For Alaska this year I bought the Kuiu Kutana hybrid jacket, kind of a lightly insulated shirt/softshell. It worked very well over the 240 also and might be worth a look. Its a fairly tough but quiet outer material. For times I was walking fairly slowly and glassing a lot it was a nice layer. To warm for hard hiking but nice for cruising along.

The nice thing about these options is that they stay on as I layer warmer over them. A softshell jacket I take off when I add the puffy, and a rain jacket works just as well over the puffy for stationary use as the softshell. I always have either the rain gear or the softshell in my pack, these seem more versatile to me.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
Ive also had all those jackets, the arcteryx is my fav and go to jacket. Second would be the jetstream. Its I find the jetstream breaths just fine, i feel like it breathes better than the guide jacket. And I also found the fit on the SG weird.

I bought the Arcteryx Gamma MX hoody this summer for my moose and caribou hunt up here in AK. It is now my go to jacket. Pretty quite material, blocks the wind pretty good, and super durable. I wore merino base layer, puffy, and Gamma 90% of the time in temps from 30-50°F. If you go to the Arcteryx website there is a tab at the top for their outlet store. They have an older 2016 model of the Gamma mx hoody for 34% off. That's what I did, fantastic jacket.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really love my kuiu guide jacket, I use it all the time. During moose and caribou hunts it’s my go to.