Soft shell jackets

Sarcazmo

FNG
How is the fit on the filson? I'm 6'1 215 and typically get an XL due to long torso and arms. Will that work and allow for layering underneath? Here in AZ I typically dont layer much, maybe merino + vest + jacket.

TY

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
The forloh all clima is wind proof and waterproof. No idea how quiet it is. Been looking into it and might pick one up in the future.

jd1006

WKR
Filson fits a little loose and a little large. I’m a large in Sitka and Kuiu, medium in First Lite and this. It’s sized to accommodate layers underneath. I could easily fit a puffy underneath a medium, and I’m 5’11’ 175 with a 33 inch waist.

Sarcazmo

FNG
Thanks. I feel like I may be in between sizes. i may just yolo the xl and see how it goes

TxxAgg

WKR
Thanks. I feel like I may be in between sizes. i may just yolo the xl and see how it goes
I'm 6' 220 and ordered the XL today.

There is a Nordstrom Rack 10 miles down the road so I figured it would be an easy return if necessary.

My favorite for camo soft shell is the Kryptek Bora. It’s damn near perfect. I’ve been in some terrible weather with it and the only place it got wet was where the Velcro patch is sewn on the sleeves. I fixed that by using a seam sealer on the inside. Truthfully the times it leaked I should have had a rain jacket on.

For non camo I like the Gamma MX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texting

FNG
uhhhhh lemme correct you on a few things here.
usually the guys that recommend the puffy and hard shells are the ones that are hunting in the mountains.... not in a deer stand in idaho... no self respecting archery hunter going after sheep/ mountain goats would be caught dead holding up some rock chutes with a softshell on.... soft shells have their place but for any serious backpack mountain hunts they don't hold their value in weight... ive taken everything from white tail, elk, mountain goats and have never once though geee my puffy and hard shell is really holding me back
hate to ask a stupid question but....when referencing ''hard shell", we mean rain gear? Have a BC archery goat hunt in August and I am completely lost with varying opinions...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hard shell = rain gear
soft shell = could be several things, but usually a wind/light precip layer that will often have a very light insulation (usually a very thin fleece layer); they are almost always quieter than a hardshell as well

madcalfe

WKR
hate to ask a stupid question but....when referencing ''hard shell", we mean rain gear? Have a BC archery goat hunt in August and I am completely lost with varying opinions...
yes rain jacket. you should be more than ok to just use a t-shirt, light weight merino wool hoody, puffy jacket, and rain jacket for aug goat hunt here. chances are it will either be +30*C or raining lol.

jd1006

WKR
unless it is the Filson Reliance jacket, then it is a hard-shell that works like a soft shell. The Bora jacket is one I’ve been watching for, but I really prefer solids.

RS3579

WKR
Filson Reliance Medium now at Nordstromrack. I bought one to
See how it is.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Anyone compare the Sitka Jetstream to this Filson jacket?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
I have both the Jetsream and Filson Reliance. Jetstream has a thicker micro fleece backing and a louder face fabric, making it a little heavier than the Filson. The Jetstream is great when you know its just going to be windy and cold with maybe a little snow. For a truck hunting/day hunting scenario, the Jetstream is a great option.

I think they are equal in terms of durability. The big differences between the two are the hood on the Filson is stowable and Neoshell is waterproof….which are options that are awesome when having to pick and choose for backpacking scenarios. I can pack the Filson and not need another option for rain gear. I can also hike without the hood being in the way. And when hiking, it’s a thinner, more breathable fabric than the Jetstream

Geardo

FNG
What temps are you guys wearing soft shells while hiking with a pack? I always end up to hot if it’s above 20-30f even with a thin base layer.

jd1006

WKR
I’d be hiking with one on below 15 degrees or so, and if possibly a little warmer if the wind was more than 10mph. Above that, my go to is a 240 peloton vest over a Kutana hybrid 3defx and a base layer.