Soft shell jackets

Lane579

FNG
Seems like the Catalyst is quieter than the Kuiu Axis and Sitka Jetstream, but I was curious on anyone else’s observations.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I have the jetstream which is a very nice jacket but is a little louder than my catalyst. I have the stone glacier m7 jacket on its way right now
I will compare the jetstream to the m7 and keep the one I like more

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
I have and love the Jetstream jacket, it does a fantastic job of blocking the wind but is in no way waterproof. A light drizzle at most, this is with the new infinium gore-tex. Mine is really quiet after a few trips to the woods.

Last edited:

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
How about the quietness of the above examples?
The Jetstream is quiet enough. I’ve stalked within bow range of deer and elk with it on. The only time it might be a little noisy is when brush or branches rub against it but I’d imagine that’s how all soft shells are.

WyoKid

WKR
Anyone try Pnuma Selkirk? Was considering getting one as I like the location of the pit zips and reportedly wind and water proof and quiet. Would like to hear from someone that has used one as in the mountains during mid to late season Elk.

mtodd

FNG
I use my Kuiu Chugach NX rain jacket over my First Lite Catalyst when I need more wind protection.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up keeping the stone glacier m7 jacket after ordering several different jackets. I would put the sitka jetstream and the m7 neck and neck, I just liked the m7 a little bit more for my wants or needs.

I currently have the FL catalyst jacket but am looking for a soft shell jacket that is more windproof and also pretty waterproof. If I can find this perfect jacket then I can shave some weight and leave the rain jacket at the truck on most hunts. The sitka jetstream jacket looks like it would fit my needs but looking for suggestions and opinions from you guys.
The important things are definitely as windproof and waterproof as possible with being fairly quiet and light weight!! I must be dreaming right.

The Jetstream is very hard to beat! It's an awesome jacket all around...not completely waterproof but I've held my arm under a faucet and it didn't soak through

WyoKid

WKR
Pnuma Waypoint or Selkirk
Kuiu Axis
Sitka Jetstream
Kryptek Njord or Cadog II
Under Armour Revenant
SKRE hardscrabble

All fit and priced differently.

Last edited:
I have the Sitka Jetstream and Kuiu Guide DCS as well as the First Lite Catalyst and Corrugate. For me the Jetstream is superior overall. It does a better job blocking wind and rain than all. It is also easier to layer under than all but the Catalyst, which has no pit-zips and does not block the wind or rain effectively.

The Guide DCS would be my 2nd favorite due to the pit-zips and decent wind and rain protection. When it came time for a new solid color softshell for everyday use I went with another Guide DCS instead of another Jetstream as the performance for mostly casual wear at $219 retail for the same for the Jetstream at $349 retail seemed like a better value for that purpose. For extended periods of backcountry use I would prefer the Jetstream. BTW, I needed a size larger for the Guide DCS than the Jetstream for close to the same fit yet the sleeves still seem a bit more restrictive for layering under.

The First Lite Catalyst and Corrugate still have their place in my personal system but they are different types of jackets IMO.
I had a Gray Kuiu Guide and a Verde. Lost the verde to a combine last season . Very interested in your opinion. I love the Cipher pattern. So looking at the Catalyst. I wear my Guide with light merino base in, heavy merino base or super down under it and it covers all year. I use the pit zips constantly and can't imagine not having them. I wore my guide through an entire football game as spectator raining sheets of rain after 3+ hours I finally had some wetness on shoulders. How does catalyst compare? Should I stick with what I like? Is the jetstream even better?

Hondo

WKR
gooseblitz, your comments about the features you like about the Guide jackets leads me to believe that you would likely be happier sticking with the Guide. Going with the more expensive Jetstream might be worth it if you have larger arms and/or shoulders. I find it a bit more comfortable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have really enjoyed my kuiu guide jackets but I don’t really take them on backpack hunts. For moose season when I’m in and out of boats and light drizzle, on and off weather I find it to work really well. I’m sure there are better jackets out there but the guide has worked well for me.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Kryptek Bora, windproof, and breathable. No issues with it in heavy snow. Wind was blowing at 30 to 40 mph and no wind got thru! Wore it all week during my CO 3rd season hunt as my outer layer. Held up with no issues busting thru the oak brush.

The bora jacket it’s bombproof. Blocks the wind has the pit zips and the schoeller material breathes like no other. The waterproofness is amazing it’s almost like a rain jacket.

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
The bora jacket it’s bombproof. Blocks the wind has the pit zips and the schoeller material breathes like no other. The waterproofness is amazing it’s almost like a rain jacket.
How quiet is it? Could it be something used for whitetail mid season?

If you search on youtube "Columbia Ascender Kuiu" the first two hits are guys who compare it favorably to KUIU. I think they are about as quiet as a soft shell can be. They are more quiet than the UA Ridge Reaper soft shell I have. I have 4 Ascenders.

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
I don't understand the hate for softshells I've seen here. What is the benefit of a puffy plus hardshell and in what conditions?
I'll bite. The guys who recommend Puffy/Hard shells for the most part are rifle hunters. Their pack contains one underwear bottom and one Merino top they wear all week long to go along with their puffy and hardshell.

No self respecting archery hunter would dare to go with the above mentioned setup. That's why they make quiet mid layers like the Sitka Traverse zip T or Kuiu Peleton and Softshells like the Sitka Jetstream.

Hardshells to me are rain gear . Puffies are too fragile as an outer layer.

I worry more about getting in shape than crying about the slight additional weight of a softshell but that just me.

sr80

WKR
As others have said, jetstream is probably my number 1, and then the SG dehavilland jacket second ( black label one) I didnt care for the fit of the original DH jacket, but the new fit is much better i found.

92xj

WKR
anyone have experience comparing the Forloh to any of the above mentioned jackets?

madcalfe

WKR
I'll bite. The guys who recommend Puffy/Hard shells for the most part are rifle hunters. Their pack contains one underwear bottom and one Merino top they wear all week long to go along with their puffy and hardshell.

No self respecting archery hunter would dare to go with the above mentioned setup. That's why they make quiet mid layers like the Sitka Traverse zip T or Kuiu Peleton and Softshells like the Sitka Jetstream.

Hardshells to me are rain gear . Puffies are too fragile as an outer layer.

I worry more about getting in shape than crying about the slight additional weight of a softshell but that just me.
uhhhhh lemme correct you on a few things here.
usually the guys that recommend the puffy and hard shells are the ones that are hunting in the mountains.... not in a deer stand in idaho... no self respecting archery hunter going after sheep/ mountain goats would be caught dead holding up some rock chutes with a softshell on.... soft shells have their place but for any serious backpack mountain hunts they don't hold their value in weight... ive taken everything from white tail, elk, mountain goats and have never once though geee my puffy and hard shell is really holding me back