Soft shell jackets

C.payne

WKR
How quiet is it? Could it be something used for whitetail mid season?
I have the Kryptek Bora jacket and agree with what has been said on here already. It is bombproof, windproof, breathable and damn near completely waterproof. That being said it is not at all quiet. After multiple washes and outings it is still louder than I would like.
I have used it in a deer stand because of a lack of other outer layers at the time but I definitely don’t recommend it.
If it was made in solid colours I would own two!

I also own the FL Catalyst jacket and agree with many things said on here. The sleeves and cuffs are way too tight and it has very little wind and water protection. It is a glorified expensive hoody The best thing about it is that it is extremely quiet for a soft shell.

I have also owned the Kuiu Guide jacket. It was decent for wind and water protection and relatively quiet once worn in. Overall the athletic fit of the jacket was excellent for me.

Defiantly looking to pick up a Sitka Jetstream next due to so many great reviews.
But if Kryptek made the Bora in solids I don t think I would ever look for another soft shell.

Bump79

WKR
I'll bite. The guys who recommend Puffy/Hard shells for the most part are rifle hunters. Their pack contains one underwear bottom and one Merino top they wear all week long to go along with their puffy and hardshell.

No self respecting archery hunter would dare to go with the above mentioned setup. That's why they make quiet mid layers like the Sitka Traverse zip T or Kuiu Peleton and Softshells like the Sitka Jetstream.

Hardshells to me are rain gear . Puffies are too fragile as an outer layer.

I worry more about getting in shape than crying about the slight additional weight of a softshell but that just me.

uhhhhh lemme correct you on a few things here.
usually the guys that recommend the puffy and hard shells are the ones that are hunting in the mountains.... not in a deer stand in idaho... no self respecting archery hunter going after sheep/ mountain goats would be caught dead holding up some rock chutes with a softshell on.... soft shells have their place but for any serious backpack mountain hunts they don't hold their value in weight... ive taken everything from white tail, elk, mountain goats and have never once though geee my puffy and hard shell is really holding me back

I'm going to second some of these points but I personally like both and have their place in my gear. The point of a hard shell and puffy because this is a backpacking forum. If you are packing far and heavy you better have the best gear for the weight. Warmth to weight ratio of a puffy with shell can't be beat.

Say in a sheep, mountain goat, high country mule deer style hunt you are in a situation where visibility is key. If you are wearing you're shell and puffy odds are you aren't on a stalk since visibility is low at times. If you are it's windy but you'd shed those huffing and puffy around that steep country anyway if you were on a stalk. So a base layer, fleece, puffy, shell combo is what you're looking for.

Now day hunting from the truck (which is likely what most of us do but act like BA's) and weight isn't a concern the right softshell is pretty sweet. Especially during rifle season, if you still hunt or hunt at all in a stand. I find that during rifle season I have to take of my Chagach NX when highly active when I don't necessarily need to with a softshell.

Here's the real quandary IMHO... finding a softshell that actually fits the bill. I essentially want a light grid fleece backed, extremely breathable borderline waterproof membrane, with a more quiet exterior than a hard shell and pit zips are a must. If someone has found this jacket.. let me know.

WyoKid

WKR
I'm going to second some of these points but I personally like both and have their place in my gear. The point of a hard shell and puffy because this is a backpacking forum. If you are packing far and heavy you better have the best gear for the weight. Warmth to weight ratio of a puffy with shell can't be beat.

Say in a sheep, mountain goat, high country mule deer style hunt you are in a situation where visibility is key. If you are wearing you're shell and puffy odds are you aren't on a stalk since visibility is low at times. If you are it's windy but you'd shed those huffing and puffy around that steep country anyway if you were on a stalk. So a base layer, fleece, puffy, shell combo is what you're looking for.

Now day hunting from the truck (which is likely what most of us do but act like BA's) and weight isn't a concern the right softshell is pretty sweet. Especially during rifle season, if you still hunt or hunt at all in a stand. I find that during rifle season I have to take of my Chagach NX when highly active when I don't necessarily need to with a softshell.

Here's the real quandary IMHO... finding a softshell that actually fits the bill. I essentially want a light grid fleece backed, extremely breathable borderline waterproof membrane, with a more quiet exterior than a hard shell and pit zips are a must. If someone has found this jacket.. let me know.

Anyone try a Selkirk from Pnuma? I have been eyeing one as it is supposed to be quiet, water proof and breathable. I have seen some reviewers comment that it is just a shell with light insulation, which would seem to fit the bill. I would be interested to hear what you think if anyone has one.

ccarter

FNG
Never tried a soft-shell, but have an Under Armour Ridge Reaper Infil with Windstopper on its way. Found it on sale, and I like the idea of a quieter windproof outer shell. After trying lots of different items and combos over the years, I've come to the conclusion that wind or water resistant pieces just don't get much use. It either needs to be wind/water proof, or just an insulation piece. The middle ground stuff just leaves me cold. Hoping I like the Under Armour piece. If I do, I plan to have a seamstress add pit zips.

jd1006

WKR
It exists…it’s called the Filson Reliance jacket and you can get it for under $200

mjs270

FNG
Jetstream is an excellent jacket. The pit zips and pocket layout is also perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Bought a jetstream jacket for the 2021 hunting season and it did not disappoint. I was in-between a LG and an XL, so I went with the XL to give me some room to layer. The sleeves are a bit long when I don't have on a couple layers, but I fold them over and am good to go. Definitely a great jacket.

Bump79

WKR
Never tried a soft-shell, but have an Under Armour Ridge Reaper Infil with Windstopper on its way. Found it on sale, and I like the idea of a quieter windproof outer shell. After trying lots of different items and combos over the years, I've come to the conclusion that wind or water resistant pieces just don't get much use. It either needs to be wind/water proof, or just an insulation piece. The middle ground stuff just leaves me cold. Hoping I like the Under Armour piece. If I do, I plan to have a seamstress add pit zips.
Been eyeing that jacket! Let me know how you like it. It's got to be nearly identical to the Jetstream once you add pit zips

Bump79

WKR

I'm very interested on this jacket. Durability is a top requirement for me so they nylon shell hopefully addresses that and Alpha insulation is top notch.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got the black label SG DeHavilland and an Arctyrex Gamma MX (a bit thinner, one hell of a jacket though, ought to be for the $). Trying to decide if keeping the Arctyrex even makes sense…..it’s brown so I end up wearing it a lot more when hunting. New SG fit on their DH jacket is awesome. I only mention them both because they kick ass and are good ones to consider if you’re looking.

As far as the argument against soft shells - I do puffy/hard shell backpacking, even if archery. Not sure I follow the “self-respecting” comments. Early archery the FL brooks down is a nice piece - quiet and tough. Point being, most backpack hunts, weight drives what I take. When I don’t take a hard shell (rarely) I’ll carry a soft shell. Typically rifle season. That’s just me. 90% of the time it seems I don’t take the softshell.

Had the Kuiu guide, ordered and sent back an Axis, and have had some of the Sitka soft shells. I’d echo what everyone has mentioned on those. The FL catalyst is a bit of a miss on fit. If you’re replacing a mid layer fleece with it, then it works okay, and the hood kicks ass. But it wasn’t versatile enough for me.

I’ve owned far, far too many jackets and kept few, so figured I’d at least offer what I’ve found over the years…..

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The important things are definitely as windproof and waterproof as possible with being fairly quiet and light weight!! I must be dreaming right.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

search on eBay for the now discontinued Sitka Flash; it was touted as a windlayer, but makes a better lightweight "hardshell" in my opinion

I was initially going to sell mine as it wasn't breathable enough to fill the role of a windshirt, but it definitely blocked wind and did a very good job in light or short duration precipitation. So instead I now carrying it on hunts where the chance of precipitation (rain) is low instead of a hardshell. If it's cold and it's only a chance of snow, then it's the Flash for sure.

If I'm still hunting and it's cool to cold, it works well for on the move- (ie moving slowly!) and glassing it makes a very good outer layer.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/sitka-core-lwt-kelvin-active-flash-money.219197/

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try Pnuma Selkirk? Was considering getting one as I like the location of the pit zips and reportedly wind and water proof and quiet. Would like to hear from someone that has used one as in the mountains during mid to late season Elk.
Yes, I love this jacket! The pluses are totally wind, waterproof, very warm for a shell and the quietest rain jacket I have ever seen. The downside it will pick up burrs and stickers with the soft outer layer. Also, in heavy rain it will get a little heavy as the outer layer will hold water, but you still stay dry. So great for the getting caught in heavy rain but would not be my first option if I was going to hunt for hours in rain.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a soft-shell guy at all, BUT I'm starting to think for day elk/deer hunts it might not be a bad option at all- especially in rougher timber where snagging something like a windshirt is always a possibility.

feanor

WKR
I just bought a filson reliance jacket. It’s delayed due to weather, it I really think it could reform my softshell opinion. Being that it’s Neoshell, it going to be different from all of the goretex jackets. How different? That remains to be seen.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I also just bought a Filson Reliance, not here yet. Can’t wait to try it out. I was debating between this and a SG M7 but this is half off at Nordstrom so had to try it. Hoping to replace both my FL Catalyst and my OR Foray with this one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
I wore that Filson Reliance jacket down to below zero yesterday on a training hike. I had a baselayer and the patagonia nano light hoody underneath. I felt no wind, was able to manage the moisture with the pit zips, and loved that I could stow the hood and use the hoody I had on underneath. I noticed no pilling from the backpack straps (I had 80lbs in there). In the cold, it stiffened up a bit but really only in the collar area, it was nice and pliable (not crunchy like goretex gets). I‘ve posted a ton about this jacket and still think it is the cat’s meow for its versatility.

jd1006

WKR
Nordstrom Rack online. They have it in Olive, which looks exactly like the conifer corrugate foundry pants I have from first lite.