Soft shell with pit zips, hood and solid color

Trial153

WKR
Sorry, I have the Reliance and to me it’s a great hard shell, good stretch and awesome cut. Taped inside seams, the whole nine yards. The outside fabric is more brushed, not quite as much as Sitka thunderhead or downpour but if the same ilk.
A soft shell it isn’t, and other then a wind break it doesn’t have any warmth to it.

jd1006

WKR
Fleece backer. It’s soft, it’s cut a little bigger—I’m a large in Sitka and Kuiu outer layers, but a medium in this. I think its a no-brained at that price. At full-price, I’d look at the Jetstream from Sitka and the DeHaviland from SG—neither of which are waterproof.

And Trial153–are you expecting insulation with your soft shell? I guess, I never considered warmth in a softshell, just some durability and breathing (usually at the expense of weather proofing).

Trial153

WKR
I wish I paid the 200 from Norstroms for it though, I like it even better lol ! I got it full price from Filson as it’s one of the handful of gift cards my wife’s seems to buy me yearly

I have the kuiu axis and pnuma waypoint. I think the axis would be better for what you’re looking for. Waypoint is a little warmer. I like the waypoint better for stand hunting though. Far more windproof, warmer and super quiet

jd1006

WKR
I could go to 40 degrees easily in the Filson Reliance with just a grid fleece hoody. An insulated soft shell with weather protection sounds like a jacket that doesn’t exist. I have an REI Stormhenge that is insulated, weather proof, and has pitzips, but would be way too warm above 45 degrees. And it is noisy. The Kenai from Kuiu has pitzips and light insulation, but it pills just rubbing on my pack belt.

Trial153

WKR
Fleece backer. It’s soft, it’s cut a little bigger—I’m a large in Sitka and Kuiu outer layers, but a medium in this. I think its a no-brained at that price. At full-price, I’d look at the Jetstream from Sitka and the DeHaviland from SG—neither of which are waterproof.

And Trial153–are you expecting insulation with your soft shell? I guess, I never considered warmth in a softshell, just some durability and breathing (usually at the expense of weather proofing).

Yes, I do. The Jetstream has micro fleece backer that adds a bit of warm in addition to a windbreak, the vest does as well and works really well over fleece mid layer when I am semi active .

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I'm also using the SKRE Hardscrabble jacket. I have one in gray for everyday wear and one in camo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That one also looks good, but it seems they no longer offer gray.

I have the kuiu axis and pnuma waypoint. I think the axis would be better for what you’re looking for. Waypoint is a little warmer. I like the waypoint better for stand hunting though. Far more windproof, warmer and super quiet

You didn't mention it so I guess is not a big issue, but do you feel the Waypoint is heavy?
Also, does it have the fleece lining inside the arm length and inside the hood, or is that only in the front and back?
  • Mid-weight fleece lining focused at the core

Do you think the vents are in a good spot as they seem to be by the ribs, most others are exactly under the armpit.

I like the style is a modern avenger type of look :), not too tactical, but those two features are the ones that hold me back weight and vent location.

What temp range do you usually use them at with just a regular shirt under.

Also on the Filson I got lost does it have fleece lining? northstrom says is unlined.

Thanks.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
Kryptek has the Argo jacket. Not sure how windproof it is.

As other said the Sitka jetstream seems to be what you’re describing.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Filson Reliance, not here yet. Can’t wait to try it out. I was debating between this and a SG M7 but this is half off at Nordstrom so had to try it. Hoping to replace both my FL Catalyst and my OR Foray with this one piece. Seems to fit for what you are looking for too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eh254413

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kuiu Guide jacket. Great at dumping heat and has a well designed hood.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
The Forloh AllClima might have pit zips. It doesn’t exactly say but there is a picture of the guy opening the jacket and it looks to have pit zips. I’m interested in buying the jacket so I have asked. Will report back unless someone else knows.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I just bought a Filson Reliance, not here yet. Can’t wait to try it out. I was debating between this and a SG M7 but this is half off at Nordstrom so had to try it. Hoping to replace both my FL Catalyst and my OR Foray with this one piece. Seems to fit for what you are looking for too…

Yes, post back once you get it, as I'm not completely sure if it has any type of fleece backer for warm or just the raw plastic feel / unlined.
I really like my Kuiu Guide jacket. Great at dumping heat and has a well designed hood.
Thanks for the head up, but it seems that the Axis is a hair warmer, so I might end up trying that one.
Update. The forloh allclima soft shell has pit zips.

I saw that one before, but I'm not 100% sold on the solid colors look plus the price.
Looks like a scuba drysuit.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, post back once you get it, as I'm not completely sure if it has any type of fleece backer for warm or just the raw plastic feel / unlined.

Thanks for the head up, but it seems that the Axis is a hair warmer, so I might end up trying that one.

I saw that one before, but I'm not 100% sold on the solid colors look plus the price.
Mad and sourced in USA. Definitely pricey.

Im wearing the forloh one tonight actually, its very nice and worth the price to me since its made here and works great. It actually repels water, unlike the sitka softshell i had which i couldnt get to stay waterproof to save my life. That thing was such a freakin waste of money and costed the same if remember correctly lol

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Thanks for all the suggestions,

I think I would have to pass on the Forloh only because I need a solid color and they look weird in solid colors in camo they look awesome plus are Made here USA.

Just got a reply back from SG regarding the De Havilland and M7 they mention the M7 is warmer than the Havilland.
And I dont want to spend $370 on a jacket in those colors.

And reading it seems the Jetstream is much better than the Havilland as it blocks more wind.

So I ordered 3 jackets to try out, I would post back once I get them.
Waypoint, Axis Hybrid, Jetstream

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider

I got the Filson today. Inside is not quite fleece but not normal rain jacket liner either. It has a low pile to it, but soft. I’m going to keep it, it’s a great mix between soft shell and rain jacket that I was looking for.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I got the Filson today. Inside is not quite fleece but not normal rain jacket liner either. It has a low pile to it, but soft. I’m going to keep it, it’s a great mix between soft shell and rain jacket that I was looking for.

Thanks for the update,
I guess I would pass on that one but for $150 if there are any left seem to be the best rain jacket.

Update:
today I received the 3 soft shell and I’m super impressed with one of them so far.

Not sure if I should start a new topic with my impression of them or just add it here let me see.
Would take some photos, measure pocket sizes to the best of my abilities. And how they fit.