Soft shell with pit zips, hood and solid color

Skybuster

FNG
Hi,

Looking for a soft shell with pit zips / vents, hood in solid color and wind resistant average 15mph.

To be used everyday in FL. winters are not like some of you guys get but we see 40-50-60F frequent. And for warmer days open the pit zip.
I usually just use a short T shirt.
And we get the random showers so water resistant is welcome.

I Ordered an inexpensive Amazon one brand Free Soldier but the hand pocket are really small depth wise, don’t really like the Velcro patches.
Weights about 38oz. Run big in L.

From the higher end products It seems the Sitka Jetstream is popular here.
A long with the Kuiu Axis Hybrid.

Recently found the Pnuma brand and the Waypoint in Beluga color seem interesting but weights double of the competition at 42oz and pit zip are forward of the arm pit area not sure if is as effective as traditional under the arm vents.

They also have the Alpha model but not sure if that one have the pit zips.

There also the Stone Glacier M7 $$ not sure if they are worth it for my usage case almost in line with Sitka Jetstream $$
Saw also Forloh have one with the same features but $$$.

Would the Kuiu Axis Hybrid be great for this temps with just a T shirt.

I would like to try the Pnuma Waypoint but the pit zip location and double the weight not sure how it would compare to the Axis Hybrid.

As usually more weight equals more insulation.

Any other brand I’m missing with these features?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
I've got a Rothco jacket that is everything you just described for sale in the classifieds. Search "Poor Man's Jetstream."

Vandy321

WKR
Hi,

Looking for a soft shell with pit zips / vents, hood in solid color and wind resistant average 15mph.

To be used everyday in FL. winters are not like some of you guys get but we see 40-50-60F frequent. And for warmer days open the pit zip.
I usually just use a short T shirt.
And we get the random showers so water resistant is welcome.

I Ordered an inexpensive Amazon one brand Free Soldier but the hand pocket are really small depth wise, don’t really like the Velcro patches.
Weights about 38oz. Run big in L.

From the higher end products It seems the Sitka Jetstream is popular here.
A long with the Kuiu Axis Hybrid.

Recently found the Pnuma brand and the Waypoint in Beluga color seem interesting but weights double of the competition at 42oz and pit zip are forward of the arm pit area not sure if is as effective as traditional under the arm vents.

They also have the Alpha model but not sure if that one have the pit zips.

There also the Stone Glacier M7 $$ not sure if they are worth it for my usage case almost in line with Sitka Jetstream $$
Saw also Forloh have one with the same features but $$$.

Would the Kuiu Axis Hybrid be great for this temps with just a T shirt.

I would like to try the Pnuma Waypoint but the pit zip location and double the weight not sure how it would compare to the Axis Hybrid.

As usually more weight equals more insulation.

Any other brand I’m missing with these features?

Thanks

The M7 is rain gear, not a soft shell.

Compare the SG De Havilland with the Sitka Jetstream. Can't go wrong with either. Buy one one sale, don't pay full price.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I've got a Rothco jacket that is everything you just described for sale in the classifieds. Search "Poor Man's Jetstream."

Hi that seem just like the one I tried under a different brand. It came to 34oz size L.
Hand pocket are small and I don’t like the Velcro make you look to tactical.

The M7 is rain gear, not a soft shell.

Compare the SG De Havilland with the Sitka Jetstream. Can't go wrong with either. Buy one one sale, don't pay full price.

I overlooked that one as it seem the M7 was superior, don’t notice the M7 was a full on rain jacket.

So the Havilland look pretty interesting as well, at a good price point

Also just realized the Jetstream don’t have Velcro at the wrist not sure if that would bother me, at this price should had it.

Sitka Jetstream for sure.

Pit zips
Gore Infinium windstopper
3 or 4 solid color options
Hood

I love mine,

This one seem to be the best all around, just nick picking I realized it don’t have Velcro at the wrist.

I think I would order the Axis, Havilland and Pnuma and return the least comfy ones.

But I have a feeling the Pnuma would be to bulky just by the weight.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
The two soft shell with hood don’t mention having pit zip,
Would have to double check

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
The two soft shell with hood don’t mention having pit zip,
Would have to double check

Just got the modus for Xmas......so far very happy with the performance, blocks the wind really well. The fit is nice. Leaning towards being my fav so far

Hang18

FNG
KUIU Chugach NX, may be a discontinued model. I've had it since 2019. I don't wear it every day, but,
if it looks like rain or is raining I'm putting it on. Not sure if this is everyone's observation, but, I find
Kuiu upper mid & outer wear runs small. IMO, KUIU is good stuff & if it's in the "outlet" u will save some dough.

Bump79

WKR
What is your target species?

I'd look at the Stone Glacier De Haviland. Very nice, low on warmth but cuts the wind well. Good mix for a softshell.

stump06

WKR
I like the skre hardscrabble. Very close to a Kuiu guide jacket and I got mine in grey for less than $100

Last edited:
OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Just got the modus for Xmas......so far very happy with the performance, blocks the wind really well. The fit is nice. Leaning towards being my fav so far

I got a reply back from them and they don’t offer pit zips.
That one of my must have.

What is your target species?

I'd look at the Stone Glacier De Haviland. Very nice, low on warmth but cuts the wind well. Good mix for a softshell.

On your experience,
What temps have you used your and what do you had under?

I’m looking for a do it all jacket with just a T shirts for casual use.

Today is 50F and the wind is at 18-20mph feel like 44F

I like the sore hardscrabble. Very close to a Kuiu guide jacket and I got mine in grey for less than $100

That one don’t come in solid color.

KUIU Chugach NX, may be a discontinued model. I've had it since 2019. I don't wear it every day, but,
if it looks like rain or is raining I'm putting it on. Not sure if this is everyone's observation, but, I find
Kuiu upper mid & outer wear runs small. IMO, KUIU is good stuff & if it's in the "outlet" u will save some dough.

I’m looking for ready available jackets.
But would definitely try KUIU is either the Axis Hybrid or Maybe the Kenai

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm also using the SKRE Hardscrabble jacket. I have one in gray for everyday wear and one in camo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
On Nordstrom Rack you can get the Filson Reliance Jacket for under $200. That’s a waterproof, windproof, soft shell with pitzips and a hood that zips into the collar. I have used it now for a year, it’s great. Neoshell is a little more breathable than goretex.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I got a reply back from them and they don’t offer pit zips.
That one of my must have.

On your experience,
What temps have you used your and what do you had under?

I’m looking for a do it all jacket with just a T shirts for casual use.

Today is 50F and the wind is at 18-20mph feel like 44F

That one don’t come in solid color.

I’m looking for ready available jackets.
But would definitely try KUIU is either the Axis Hybrid or Maybe the Kenai

I don't know what you call these then🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷

Attachments

• 20220129_123705.jpg
    20220129_123705.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 54

feanor

WKR
Just got my filson reliance. Really impressed with it. I’m pretty sure it will blow most of the above mentioned jackets out of the water. No offense. Pit zips and solid color- plus waterproof. Not just water resistant. Read up on neoshell.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I don't know what you call these then

It seem they don’t know their line up, or they don’t considers those pit zip.
Below there response.
06116909a673fdc7e77e614ef4932e0c.jpg

It seem they call those bicep pockets.
Just to make sure they end before the arm pits?

It seem they might or might not work ok to dump heat is they only by the bicep, I think most of the heat is under the arm pit area/chest not the upper arm.

On Nordstrom Rack you can get the Filson Reliance Jacket for under $200. That’s a waterproof, windproof, soft shell with pitzips and a hood that zips into the collar. I have used it now for a year, it’s great. Neoshell is a little more breathable than goretex.

Just got my filson reliance. Really impressed with it. I’m pretty sure it will blow most of the above mentioned jackets out of the water. No offense. Pit zips and solid color- plus waterproof. Not just water resistant. Read up on neoshell.

That one look interesting as well and that price point.$200

Does it have a fleece backer or the inside feels like plastic?