Soft shells

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everyone’s take on soft shells? For late October/November high country hunts. I’m leaning towards the kuiu guide dcs jacket but the new Sitka cloudburst looks super interesting, along with the jet stream. And the timberline is 50% off on their website. If it helps I get 40% off Sitka, 30% off FL, and 10% off kuiu.

Cloudburst: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/mens/cloudburst-jacket/optifade-open-country

Jet stream: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/mens/jetstream-jacket/optifade-open-country

Timberline: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/mens/timberline-jacket/optifade-open-country

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
Id go for the jetstream. Having a jacket that'll keep the wind from cutting through is nice. I found the catalyst to be too light and block no wind at all, and it fell apart

Surprised it fell apart - would definitely contact FL - sure they will make it right - Jetstream definitely cuts the wind better - Catalyst has been better for me during Archery season

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say Jetstream for your application. Cloudburst is a rain jacket, not a softshell. I actually just got a Timberline and although I think I'll like it, it's not the quietest and see it as more of a windbreaker in early-mid season hunts.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
What temps are you expecting?

I've used the jetstream for 4-5 years and really like it. If it's raining it will shed water for a bit but you will end up wet.

I will say its probably going to stay at home a little more as I've been transitioning to light rain gear/hoody/puffy

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll probably settle for the jet stream than. Do any of you guys have experience with the kuiu guide jacket? For lighter weight I have a Sitka mountian jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KUIU Guide jacket is nice. A little heavy, but warm, quiet, and blocks the wind decently. Does have some water repelancy, but definitely not rain gear. Pit zips are great! Mine gets a lot of use for spot and stalk deer hunting and glassing.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve narrowed it to the jet stream and the guide. With my discounts they’re both exactly $197.50 so price doesn’t matter. I’m going to be running the kuiu attack pants, I have FL light and mid weight merino base layers along with a older Sitka mid moth camo 1/4 zip, a mountian jacket and a FL unpronounceable puffy. The jacket will be used for eastern Oregon/Idaho/western Montana high country hunts, I’ll be packing a lot with stock but will hike as well. I run on the warm side, what do you guys suggest??

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t care to match but if there’s not enough of a difference than I’d rather match than not

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
What temps are you expecting?

I've used the jetstream for 4-5 years and really like it. If it's raining it will shed water for a bit but you will end up wet.

I will say its probably going to stay at home a little more as I've been transitioning to light rain gear/hoody/puffy

When you say you’re switching to hard shell hoody and puffy, is that just a regular puffy or breathable? I have a fl unpronounceable and I might go that route since all id have to get is rain gear but I feel like I’d sweat with that puffy

The guide is a nice jacket but it does not stop wind which to me is very important that time of year at high elevations. Jet stream is the best bet but it is hot when hiking. I use a combo of SS Merino, kuiu Peloton 240 and jetstream and a puffy. Peloton is good for hiking and blocks most wind and the jetstream retains a lot of heat and blocks all wind when moving slower

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Guide jacket from Kuiu & I do not recomend it. It's a solid color so I wear it causally. It. Doesn't block wind very well & will get you about 15 to 20 minutes in the rain. I had the FL Catalyst, it is dead quiet, but no better than the Guide at stopping wind or rain. This is were y'all start laughing at me. 4 years ago I bought a Cabellas Lookout fleece soft shell on sale for $79. I had a jetsream in my cart & was struggling with the thought of paying over $300. For it. I compared them side by side and went home with the Cabellas jacket. It don't have pit zips is the only complaint. I wore it in an all day snow storm, heavy wet snow stayed dry all day. It bucks the wind very well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
KUIU Guide jacket is nice. A little heavy, but warm, quiet, and blocks the wind decently. Does have some water repelancy, but definitely not rain gear. Pit zips are great! Mine gets a lot of use for spot and stalk deer hunting and glassing.

My guide jacket gets used a ton, not so much for multi day backpack trips but for everything else it’s a go to piece.

Brendan

WKR
When you say you’re switching to hard shell hoody and puffy, is that just a regular puffy or breathable? I have a fl unpronounceable and I might go that route since all id have to get is rain gear but I feel like I’d sweat with that puffy

Not sure what you mean by a regular or breathable puffy? Aren't they all breathable? Granted, one that blocks wind and has more DWR probably won't be as breathable as one that doesn't (I run Kuiu Kenai and Kifaru LPP here)

But, regarding the hard shell comment - Hard shell and puffy is more versatile, especially for high country October/November hunts like you mentioned. My Jetstream is about 8oz heavier than my Arc'teryx Alpha SV which is a bomb-proof 3-layer mountaineering hard shell that's wind and waterproof. A lighter weight hard shell and a lighter weight puffy jacket would probably weigh the same or less than the Jetstream on its' own.

Basically - I love soft shells, but the Jetstream (or any soft shell) is for when it's warm enough I don't have to carry a puffy, and I'm not worried about rain.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what you mean by a regular or breathable puffy? Aren't they all breathable? Granted, one that blocks wind and has more DWR probably won't be as breathable as one that doesn't (I run Kuiu Kenai and Kifaru LPP here)

But, regarding the hard shell comment - Hard shell and puffy is more versatile, especially for high country October/November hunts like you mentioned. My Jetstream is about 8oz heavier than my Arc'teryx Alpha SV which is a bomb-proof 3-layer mountaineering hard shell that's wind and waterproof. A lighter weight hard shell and a lighter weight puffy jacket would probably weigh the same or less than the Jetstream on its' own.

Basically - I love soft shells, but the Jetstream (or any soft shell) is for when it's warm enough I don't have to carry a puffy, and I'm not worried about rain.

I think I meant down or synthetic, I don’t know too much about puffy jackets. How do you like the LPP? It’s hard to stray away form Sitka because of the 40% discount I get from there, so I’ll probably stick with them, but I am looking into a puffy and hard shell. Do you think the fl unpronounceable or the Sitka kelvin lite hoody would be enough insulation for October/November high country hunts? Or would I need like a kelvin down ws hoody? For under the hard shell

Brendan

WKR
I think I meant down or synthetic, I don’t know too much about puffy jackets. How do you like the LPP? It’s hard to stray away form Sitka because of the 40% discount I get from there, so I’ll probably stick with them, but I am looking into a puffy and hard shell. Do you think the fl unpronounceable or the Sitka kelvin lite hoody would be enough insulation for October/November high country hunts? Or would I need like a kelvin down ws hoody? For under the hard shell

Down will be lighter for the same warmth, and more compressible, but you don't want to get it wet. Great for cold or dry weather. Synthetic heavier and can get wet and still keep you warm. And, easier to throw your synthetic in the washing machine (My gear gets used double for whitetail, so that's important)

I haven't used either of those puffys so can't speak to them. I run the Kuiu Kenai in warm weather, love it for archery seasons, the LPP is definitely heavier, warmer, sheds wind better, better all around for colder weather. Plenty of good options from the non-hunting companies too.

If you're legitimately hunting high country in October/November - I think a hard shell is a good idea, with appropriate insulation underneath. Unless you're sure of the weather being milder without rain.