Soft Topper experiences?

Anyone have any experience with soft toppers on their rigs? I've got a RAM1500 that I'm thinking of getting some sort of topper for. I don't intend to run a rooftop tent or anything that needs to go on top of it.

Curious if they're worth the money or if I'd be better off getting a hard top. I know the soft topper wouldn't offer the same security as a hard, but outside of that what do you guys think?

Beckjhong

WKR
I’ve had one for several years. I like it. It’s versatile in folding down if you want to use the truck bed. Plenty durable in the weather. No complaints at all here.

TFrank

WKR
They work well. Have had one for 6 years now and still in great shape. Nice versatility if you use your truck for more than just hunting a need more height in the bed. There are a few times I wish I had a hard top though.

I've had a Truxedo Lo Pro on my F150 for the past 12 years (same truck and same topper). It's not as secure or weatherproof as a slat/panel style topper or a hard shell, but it's good enough for my needs, was relatively cheap, and doesn't eat up any bed space when it's rolled up.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I had one and really liked it. It worked very well in the winter to keep snow out of the bed of the truck and kept my hunting gear dry during the fall. In the summer I would take it off for the most part, but if I had it on it kept the dust out pretty well.

mdp22

FNG
I have the Bestop on my F-150. Only complaint I have is dust getting in, there are open spaces around the tailgate too so it's probably an effort in futility to try to keep it out. Slept in the bed during a late season elk in New Mexico. Temps got down to single digits during a blizzard, zippers worked fine which has been a complaint from some owners.

Ravenk

FNG
I've owned one for a while now and they work very well, if you use your truck for more than just hunting, it's nice versatility and doesn't occupy any bed space when it's rolled up.

I have the Bestop on my F-150. Only complaint I have is dust getting in, there are open spaces around the tailgate too so it's probably an effort in futility to try to keep it out. Slept in the bed during a late season elk in New Mexico. Temps got down to single digits during a blizzard, zippers worked fine which has been a complaint from some owners.

I got a soft roll up tonneau cover very happy with it. Can use my bed for non valuables storage (archery targets, water, surfboards, beachbl chairs etc) and it doesn't look like a mess or get rain sun exposure but still roll it up and use the full bed if needed super easily

Last edited:

Wellsdw

WKR
Quality products, great customer service. I’ve put mine through hell on western trips. No real leak or dust issues. I don’t fully buy in on the security weakness argument. I’ve had my vehicles broken into 3 time in 20 years. All smash and grab. Windows at the weak points in security for vehicles in my experience not latches. This is one reason commercial vehicle type shells don’t have windows. All in all, I love my softopper, best money I’ve put into my truck

Hard top=false sense of security. Don't leave any valuables in vehicle. I have a soft top. Not totally water proof but keeps it 95% dry. Worth the trade off to me to roll it up and out of the way. Don't love the look of a full top on my RAM 1500 and I also have the ram box so it would look extra silly if they even make one that works with that.

tdhanses

WKR
I had one and it was built very well but I’ve since gone to a cheaper roll up soft tonneau cover.