Softshell Jackets

Slim Jim

WKR
I guess that I never even thought that fleece could have wind stopper. I would much rather wear fleece, much more comfy and quieter

not so much a rain/snow stopper or wet foliage...

A windstopper fleece has a membrane layered in it. They aren't waterproof, but they will keep you dry as well or better than most softshells. In fact, the Gore "Windstopper" membrane is commonly used in softshells as well as fleece. Fleece doesn't particularly absorb water in the first place, so it doesn't really "wet out" like some other fabrics, and you aren't relying on DWR quite as much.

Where they do tend to loose points is in snow, since it will "stick" to the surface of fleece. A non-issue for me, since by then I'm usually wearing my hardshell or puffy layer. If you like hoods, you usually can't get that in a fleece either so a softshell wins in that category.

Compared to regular fleece, the windstopper versions breaths far less (as you might imagine), and has a stiffer hand. Still more comfortable than any softshell I've tried.

Yk

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the apex soft shell soon as I got it put it on with just a t shirt and went outside to sit in 20mph wind and 20* temps while I wasn't warm I wasn't freezing either. I only gave $99 for it and so far it seems to be a nice jacket over my first lite shirt jacket and vest I think it will be fine.

ozyclint

WKR
yellowknife- stoney creek makes plenty of hooded tops including windproof fleece.
i have this long bush shirt, i really like it.
http://www.stoneycreekshop.com.au/Long-Bush-Shirt--p-160-28-1014.html
P11704881.jpg

then there's the sika top.
http://www.stoneycreekshop.com.au/Sika-Top-p-17-20-2000.html

i love the length of them. most tops end right where your pack waist belt is and feel terrible under the belt. these are great to wear while your pack is on.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I think you guys have me thinking of returning the jacket. Maybe try one of the warmer / heavier Sitka jackets.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm on the other side of the coin.

I have had a few wind proof fleeces, but the windstopper fleeces I had would get soaked and didn't breathe any better than Gore Tex. I have found soft shells to breathe much better. It seems to me waterproof eVent even breathes better than windstopper.

I am not talking about soft shells with a membrane, though, they don't seem to breathe either.

A softshell will always have a place in my layering system.

So that brings us back to the original posters question.

You guys that love softshells... What is your use for a relatively heavy jacket with minimal insulation and warmth on a hunting trip? Is it primarily for cutting the wind? Fending off morning dew? Covering ground in the snow? The high def camo prints? I'll freely admit that interior Alaska isn't exactly representative of the whole country, so I'm not claiming my way is the best or only. Heck, I'm not even claiming that I won't change my mind at some point or that I've tried every softshell option out there.

I use the fleece almost exclusively for day trips when durability is important. When backpacking my go-to is hardshell + puffy. I used a fleece and puffy vest combination on a few trips, and found it to be highly practical in application, but bulky and heavy in the pack. Switching them both out for a MH Compressor saved me weight and space and worked 95% as well. My backpack hunting is mostly alaskan sheep hunting, so the warmth of a puffy layer is often used. Odds are Colorado elk is a different ballgame.

Yk

dotman

WKR

You guys that love softshells... What is your use for a relatively heavy jacket with miwnimal insulation and warmth on a hunting trip? Is it primarily for cutting the wind? Fending off morning dew? Covering ground in the snow? The high def camo prints? I'll freely admit that interior Alaska isn't exactly representative of the whole country, so I'm not claiming my way is the best or only. Heck, I'm not even claiming that I won't change my mind at some point or that I've tried every softshell option out there.

I use the fleece almost exclusively for day trips when durability is important. When backpacking my go-to is hardshell + puffy. I used a fleece and puffy vest combination on a few trips, and found it to be highly practical in application, but bulky and heavy in the pack. Switching them both out for a MH Compressor saved me weight and space and worked 95% as well. My backpack hunting is mostly alaskan sheep hunting, so the warmth of a puffy layer is often used. Odds are Colorado elk is a different ballgame.

Yk

I'm back and forth, I take one and never use it then leave it the next year and then think I should give it another shot only to use it as a pillow. About the only thing I have used mine for is a pillow. I also prefer a fleece and wish the First Lite Labrador had a wind blocker built into it even if only in the chest area, though it isn't a fleece but I also don't hunt really wet areas like Alaska.

I don't use a softshell anymore after using one for one year. I used it in Idaho on my elk hunt and it did a great job as a pseudo rain coat and to keep wind off in the morning. But I'd rather now carry a hard shell for cutting wind, and a fleece layer for insulation. Its much more versatile.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

You guys that love softshells... What is your use for a relatively heavy jacket with minimal insulation and warmth on a hunting trip? Is it primarily for cutting the wind? Fending off morning dew? Covering ground in the snow? The high def camo prints? I'll freely admit that interior Alaska isn't exactly representative of the whole country, so I'm not claiming my way is the best or only. Heck, I'm not even claiming that I won't change my mind at some point or that I've tried every softshell option out there.

Yk

Awesome question, Yk.

First off, my answer is going to be based on experience with the Guide softshell Jacket and vest from Kuiu, as in my experience Kuiu's softshell material has superior windblocking and DWR abilities than other softshells.

I use the vest in the early season. It is extremely lightweight, and doesn't take up much packspace, but it breathes so well, tha I don't take it off much if temps stay under around 50. I like the vest because it adds just a bit of core warmth, and blocks the wind in the mornings over a thin fleece. It gives me just enough protection to keep from digging out the rain shell or poncho if it starts raining. It takes A LOT of rain to get through it. Very versatile. When I am working hard, I don't have to worry about sweat running down the inside of the jacket. When the material does get wet it dries in minutes, unlike a poly fleece with a laminate. It also is extremely tear resistant, burr resistant, and durable, and protects the insulating layer underneath. I actually wore this piece just about all of my waking time on my interior Alaska hunt this year, and it performed very well.

I use the jacket when the temps call for snow, and don't even bring a hardshell at all. The DWR is more than sufficient to keep even heavy snows from wetting through. At these times of year, the windproof capabilities and extra warmth come in really handy when temps go under 20. When temps are this cold, or it is snowing hard, I don't want to have to remove my shell layer when I'm really working, and the breathability of a softshell without a laminate really helps. As with the vest, durablity is also really nice, and I can just push through the thickets without worry.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
YK, you're right on. I'm just struggling to understand how these softshells are very usefull (except what BB was saying about the Kuiu). The one I have seems useless so I'm sending back. I have a puffy and see how that would work well, but the softshell would really just be a shell without much warmth added at all. Has anyone tried the Sitka Jetstream or Stratus? Are they any better to justify packing it along?