Softshell: SG De Havilland or Sitka Jetstream

Rokslide,

I’m looking for some feedback on the SG De Havilland vs. Sitka Jetstream. I’ve ran the Jetstream before was a huge fan. But I’ve recently sold mine and before I buy another I wanted to hear the pro’s and con’s if the SG softshell. So I can decide which to buy. Any feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I'm paying attention to the replies. I have a jetstream but am looking to add a larger one for layers under it. The bora caught my eye and was trying to conclude the difference between the 3. I saw old threads that Ryan had posted but never did see finalized answers.

OP
Jackets307
I’ve read a few good threads on comparisons just prior to September, curious to see new thoughts on the SG after some miles and weather testing through archery and early rifle

I have and sold 2 of these three this year and here is the results.

Sitka jet stream. This is the classic soft shell that has been the gold standard for over a decade. I don’t really care for the face fabric of the solid color vs the camp so that’s why I sold my moss colored one. The open country I had for 10 years severed me well. If I didn’t have the ws hoody I would likely get another.

Dehavilland. The color in real life of the coyote is sexy. The jacket over all is great fitting it’s just the bonded fleece face could’ve used a tad more warmth.

Kuiu axis (brown) I fell in love with this jacket for time wearing it. The waterproof paneling is amazing and it has about the best amount of fleece and flexibility for me to be on the go. To be honest I don’t even like Kuiu but I decided to keep this peice. I did get a guide jacket at the same time. It is even warmer than any listed about but it felt stiff and constricting for similar sizes. I also feel like it didn’t breathe well at all. If I could find a brown I would replace my winter north face with the guide as my around town jacket though.

I think any one of the above will serve you well and you would hardy notice any large boost In Performance with the proper mid layer worn underneath. The edge goes to sitka for the wind stopper and the axis for the waterproof paneling.

One thing to note. I can wear a large in most rain jackets and puffies but need an xl due to my shoulders and the limited flexibility in the soft shells. I will say fit for all these jacket seemed identical.

I will throw in the first lite catalyst as this was my favorite over all Last year but the jacket didn’t even last a year without falling apart and isn’t nearly as weather resistant as any of the above. Fit for this is one size below what you would wear for above brands also. If you are a traditional archery guy where quiet is a must. This is the best soft shell for you. The only thing in this jacket that seems like a performance boost is the 37.5 tech but I didn’t notice any benefits from it.

I have an obsession with jackets for some reason and am always looking for the next best one. The Arc’teryx gamma Mx is another great one as well and likely the jacket all of the above copied or stole ideas from along the lines.

This turned out to be long winded. You can’t go wrong with any jacket listed above but a few serve multipurposes that help justify you packing it around.

OP
Jackets307
Thanks for the in-depth feedback, that is super helpful! Too much great stuff out there!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve had the dehavilland since it came out, just got in axis in to try - only keeping one of them. A few notes to compare. Sorry I haven’t had the Sitka jet stream or I would compare for you, hope this helps others:
- axis and SG about the same noise wise.
- length wise they are the same in front, but the tail is 1.5” longer on the SG jacket.
- Kuiu is a touch lighter, but feels more substantial/thicker. It is noticeable in the wind what the hybrid paneling does for you on the Kuiu jacket. Holding up to light, the non-membrane parts of axis you can see light through, but I would say the SG jacket is generally a bit thinner fabric, meaning a little less brushed fleece.
- hoods nice on both, axis jacket hood fits closer.
- body is about 2” wider in axis, yet the arms are a bit skinnier from elbow down. That said, the axis has more room in armpit area. Put zips are perfect fully placed on the axis, smaller zipper bodies than the SG.
- SG fabric is very stretchy, but the axis is also surprising how much give it has.
- both are built to go over mid layer fleece in my measured size, not getting more than a mid layer under either, which makes sense for their application. Less “slop” in SG jacket body, but it gets tight at the bottom because it is longer.
- I can do a cold weather run in the SG jacket die to cut and fabric, but I think that would not work out well with the Kuiu axis.
- Lastly, both have great collar designs. The stone glacier one is a little more rough inside - they fabric weld a really nice smooth section to inside of axis collar that is next level comfortable.

3forks

WKR
I’ve got a Jetstream and also the De Haviland.

I’d agree with everyone’s previous comments. The Jetstream is a little warmer - but doesn’t compress/pack as easily.

I prefer the versatility of the SG based on my ability to layer with it (fleece and down), but also like that it takes up less room in my pack.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's not either one of the options you're looking at but I've been using a soft-shell from Rothco for years. I bought a Jetstream thinking it would be better, it wasn't any better so I sold the Jetstream. Haven't used the SG model but from what I've read on this thread and other reviews, it's very similar to the Rothco. A touch lighter and more packable than the Jetstream making it easier to layer under. And it's like $135 on their website, think I found mine at a surplus store for right around $100. Just another option if you want to save some coin.

I have a moss large jetstream thats a touch to big,i were a puffy under it.I may try a large axis as i just like there camo pattern way better than sitka,not that it matters.

OP
Jackets307
Alright, I snagged a De Havilland, it arrive yesterday and put it to the rest today. Weather was 20 degrees with snow and wind. I layered my Sitka apex hoody and Kelvin lite vest. Stayed plenty warm. I really enjoy the fit and material of this jacket. It’s is lighter weight than the Jetstream, not quite a warm and doesn’t cut wind quite as well. That’s being said, the DWR finish was much better, it still cut the wind fine. I much prefer it to my Jetstream. Much more versatile as someone else in here has said. Thanks for all the feedback, but you guys are making me want to try the Axis!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve been looking at this same exact thing and debating these jackets, have had Kuiu guide, Axis and SG softshell, as well as the newer first lite one. The SG one is really nice for active use and you can fit a base + fleece mid layer under it, but one thing I struggle with is how the bottom hem of the jacket is just so narrow...my other nitpick would be using the larger size (probably to be tougher) pit zippers without a fabric backer - smaller sized ones you can get away with that, but I really feel them when wearing this jacket over only a baselayer.

The torso is bigger diameter on the Kuiu jackets while the arms are a smaller diameter when compared with the SG Dehavilland jacket. I’ve actually found apart from the waist, the SG jacket is more comfortable to layer over a mid-layer like fleece or light synthetic.