Softshells, are they worth the weight?

Lawnboi

WKR
Just looking for opinions on softshells. I didnt end up taking mine out very much last year, and am thinking of just leaving it for colder hunts.

Do you use one? when, why

Do you prefer a hardshell and puffy jacket, or other insulation as an alternative to a softshell?

How about softshell vests, i am a big fan of the vest for hiking around. I just with the KUIU vest had a hood!

Yukondog

WKR
For me in Colorado I have not been in weather that made my want a hard shell. Guide jacket last year rocked for me. I did not take my spindrift for insulation layer and wish I did on one of the days. I'm a vest guy and really liked the 185/250 wool combo.

If I lived and hunted in a place that had a greater chance of soaking rain I'm sure I would change my tune.

Really all depends on where you are hunting and your true needs.

Matt

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I wear a 90% jacket on a lot of my hunts. I like how it really breathes. I have been debating this a lot lately, and don't know if I should skip the softshell and just take a puffy or keep the softshell and a thin fleece layer. I always have some rain gear with me though.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My go to is the 90% and a vest, with a Sitka Hoodie underneath. I always have rain gear in my pack.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Would treating your soft shell with Grangers water treatment work for most early fall hunts in Montana?

Mike7

WKR
I haven't felt the need to carry a soft shell, since it is periodically wet enough that I have to carry a "semi-breathable" rain shell to go over my merino and down puffy coat layers. But for early season hunts, if I could find a fairly waterproof, "light weight" soft shell hoodless jacket (like a long sleeved Kuiu Attack shirt maybe?), then that would be a perfect garment addition, and in that case I would probably just bring a multi-use rain poncho for early season hunts and lose the rain jacket.

I ran the entire KUIU line last year. The Spindrift was a DEFINITE PLUS!!! Helped cut the wind and used as a pillow and LATE in the evenings glassing I would throw the Guide Jacket on over and I was set!! HOWEVER, most of the time I am not using Soft Shells until end of October first of November on my KS hunts. I am running a 185/250 merino layer combo with a soft shell vest ( either the guide from KUIU or the celsius from Sitka ). I do slightly prefer the insulation of the Sitka over the KUIU personally.

Still can't wait to get my hands on the First LITE though!! :) GIVE ME WOOL!!!

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Im thinking a softshell vest is all ill need till october or november, then i can see it being of some use actually moving around.

I just dont see the point in a softshell for most of the time, half the time im too hot hiking around in just my baselayer. And when im glassing, may as well pull out the puffy and hardshell.

Just thinking, not taking a softshell would be a easy way to drop 1+ lb.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I guess it depends on where and how you hunt but a soft shell is not worth it to me. No way does it stand up to wading through wet AK alders or a full day of drizzle which is a deal breaker having wet clothing all the time on extended hunts. Good breathable rain gear and puffy gear for me all the way for me up in ak. Perhaps in much drier conditions of the Rockies you can get away with leaving the rain gear at home, but I never trust an AlAskan forecast.

JSonn

FNG
It's a great layer to have, repels water, cuts wind down and provides some warmth. However, I ran a KUIU guide jacket last year and it logged more time around town than in the mountains. Go with the KUIU guide vest, if you really want a softshell layer- this is what I am doing this year.

Im thinking a softshell vest is all ill need till october or november, then i can see it being of some use actually moving around.

I just dont see the point in a softshell for most of the time, half the time im too hot hiking around in just my baselayer. And when im glassing, may as well pull out the puffy and hardshell.

Just thinking, not taking a softshell would be a easy way to drop 1+ lb.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
The only time i can see myself really wearing a softshell is for november hunting for mulies this year. I may end up getting the guide jacket for this purpose alone. But other then that i too am a vest guy.

Just was curious how many people acually carry softshells with them everywhere.

I always have raingear! Not going anywhere without my hardshell, especially hunting, im not going to lose a day of hunting to rain. Also use it as my main wind breaker.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry the guide everywhere, but like others have said, it depends on where you live.

Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas offer very little rain and the Guide does very well for most storms I run into in these states.

The other thing to think about is that the Guide is much quieter than any UL rain gear on the market.