Solar for the home/camp

Wvroach

WKR
So the solar bug bit me. I've got 3 current solar generators, delta, river pro with extra battery and a river with extra battery. The idea was to have 3 to rotate through for power outages at the house and In the shop as needed. So I could have 2 charging and 1 in use to rotate through for the freezers.

I'm now thinking of installing a full array somewhere between a 8-10kw system on the house. We use pretty minimal electric as it is, wood heat, fans until night time and I run a window ac In the summer if Its to hot to just leave a window open. The biggest electric consumption we have is our well pump and the freezers draw. Total current monthly consumption averages around 400-500kwh.

Just curious how those of you who have done this have liked your systems so far? What size did you decide to go with, and has it meant your expectations? What are the negatives you experienced with it and did you tie into your home grid or go with a separate circuit for it?

I wanted to wait originally since we plan to move south in the next 2 years but with the way things are looking it might be worth dropping the cash on it now. I live on the top of a mountain and get a fair amount of south facing sun each day, winter days are short though.

What system did you guys that have done this end up deciding on?

Thanks.

Titan

WKR
Get on youtube and start watching some Will Prowse videos. He breaks down a lot of options as well as good solar panels to buy. The only thing he doesn't cover is grid tie systems. There is also diysolarforum where he answers questions people have. I am in the process of the same - my electric provider allows grid tie, so I will go that route rather than some sort of cut off.

For others who come across this thread and are interested in solar. Be very careful if you get quotes from solar companies. I had one come out just to make sure I have the right idea on my own system. The first red flag is how much they push the solar credit that you "will receive". They don't even say "may receive". I have seen dozens of tax returns come across my desk with people who went with the systems and were told they would get $10-20K refunds due to the solar credit. That is not how it works. Most of those people received nothing or a very small amount of credit against their federal tax. It will carryover, so hopefully you do get the benefit, but some won't. The quote I received had a 50% markup for financing at .5% and also required my 26% full credit amount to be paid in a lump sum at the end of 18 months. The only taxpayers who will get to take advantage of that full amount (still not refundable), would be high income earners. In that case, most would opt to save 50% and pay cash.