Solar powered trail cam?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Looking for recommendations as mentioned. Don't necessarily care about cellular..don't really want to spend extra per month.

I've been considering the spy point cameras and they are the only ones that consistently pop up on the google

DanimalW

WKR
Have never tried the solar options. I wouldn’t think it would work well from spring to fall unless you have it at a field edge. Not a lot of light makes it through the canopy. Also feel like cameras using AA batteries last a long time if you use lithium. Cameras like the Cuddebacks are definitely battery investments though. They burn through those bigger, more expensive batteries fast, especially in cold weather.
I tried the new Tactacam Reveal X (cell cam) based off reviews from friends and rokslide. I’ve been happy with it. I don’t use the cell feature year round. Just 2-3 months during hunting season. Rest of the year I’ll suspend the cell plan and just pull a card.

Something to consider about the spypoint solar cams is the solar panel has a pretty good tilt to it. General trail cam best practice is to set cams facing north to combat sun glare. Doing this basically turns the solar cell away from the sun. Maybe they collect enough diffused irradiance that they still keep enough juice?

Looking for recommendations as mentioned. Don't necessarily care about cellular..don't really want to spend extra per month.

I've been considering the spy point cameras and they are the only ones that consistently pop up on the google
I have two solar spy points. So far they have been a great camera. You just have to hit a start button for the camera to start. If not, no pictures will be taken. I learned the hard way.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Dont buy a spypoint... I would get a browning if you dont want to spend much, and then buy the HME external battery with the built in solar panel for $50.