Solid color guys...

I'm a solid color guy. They call me White or Caucasian. I am more of a beige and cannot find Caucasia anywhere on the map.

Titan_Bow

WKR
The only animal that you need to worry about what color or camo pattern you are wearing is turkeys. If you are hunting deer or elk, it really doesn’t matter. The color or camo pattern is about attracting you the consumer, not anything more. That being said, I do wear a lot of camo when hunting, but it’s mainly because it was clothing that fits the bill best for what I need, or I got it in the clearance rack LOL. I’ve killed deer in random colored stuff, plaid flannel shirts, solid color, camo. It does not matter. Deer key in on movement, not color. Understand the “mission” you need your clothes to accomplish and shop based on meeting that mission. You’ll find most will be camo or earth tones simply because hunting brands tend to make quiet clothing made of materials like merino that are just better for hunting. The pattern or color doesn’t matter except for Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfeth20

FNG
I have no problem hunting in solids for deer or antelope. I think it works just as good as camo, as long as you keep the wind in your face and don’t let them see you move. If they can’t see you or smell you they won’t be scared. It’s to each their own but I wear solids more often then camo. Jetstream jacket in dirt. Stone glacier merino top. Ascent pants in pyrite.

I like khakis, different shades of browns for pants and I like to wear patterns up top or if I know I'll be hunting in cedars I'll wear a darkish green top.
Someone mentioned neutral Earth tones... I try to go with that. Essentially, if it makes me look like a tree, or brush, or blend in with leaves, etc it's fair game. I don't think it matters that much.
I do avoid blacks & blues. And I don't have anything grey for an outer layer

I’ve started wearing more solids this year in the whitetail woods. Usually solid pants with a camo top but I try to think about what will match the scenes of where I’m hunting. I think grey mixed with other colors would do good with some trees with grayish lighter colored bark.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious about the successful solid color guys in terms of rifle vs archery.
Deer have low visual acuity so I'd say even at 10-30 yards solids are fine, particularly if you wear different colored light or dark tops and bottoms, hats, gloves, bino harness, etc that break up your outline.

I haven't had any less luck bowhunting since switching to solids and plaid. I typically wear a tan/grey/plaid top and darker brown or olive pants. Medium brown gloves, olive neck Gaiter, grey Stormy Kromer hat.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Screenshot_20221231-092007_Chrome.jpg
See the letters above the red line? That is normal human vision (20/20).

Normal deer vision is closer to line 2.

If you don't move and they don't smell or hear you, and you don't silhouette yourself you can get very close to deer in Earth tone solids or even red and plaids.

Last edited:
Blue denim (jeans) seems to glow when I see guides and hunters wearing it on hunting shows. I'm not sure how the elk and deer see it. I would avoid solid black. It doesn't seem to blend in to any environment. After 15 years of SWAT duty, we went from all black uniforms (which didn't work anywhere), to navy blue (that didn't work either), then to a digi camo, and now to a conventional camo (brown, green, tan blend).
Common sense would dictate to attempt a color combo that closely matches the terrain you hunt in, but anything that breaks up your outline is best. Also limit your movement when in the presence of game. If you don't move, they won't see you-but if they get downwind and they smell you, you could be invisible and they will haul as* out of there.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
View attachment 494107
See the letters above the red line? That is normal human vision (20/20).

Normal deer vision is closer to line 2.

If you don't move and they don't see or hear you, and you don't silhouette yourself you can get very close to deer in Earth tone solids or even red and plaids.

Not sure where your research data comes from..?

That said, you'd need to expand your chart to Line #20 for elk/deer ability to visually detect motion.

And Line #50 for their ability to smell the marketing b/s we buy when they smell the breath of a hunter breathing that is a wearing the latest "nano-carbon, super scent absorbing, cutthroat hunter, DOA full uni-suit, hat and gloves" in the latest random-number generated, gee-whiz camo pattern offered by Sitka, Kuiu, etc.

I should know, I've been busted in said camo for moving. Maybe I should have paid extra for the nano-carbon scent absorption?!

This thread reminded me that I was once standing in the middle of a 30 acre mowed grass field in VA, late deer rifle season, no trees, just grass in the field. I was standing next to my dad and talking softly. A doe ran right into the middle of the field and stopped 2 yards from us, she calmly started looking around and never saw us until I moved.

To this day, I swear I could have been wearing a clown suit and that deer would not have seen us until I moved.

JL

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where your research data comes from..?

That said, you'd need to expand your chart to Line #20 for elk/deer ability to visually detect motion.

And Line #50 for their ability to smell the marketing b/s we buy when they smell the breath of a hunter breathing that is a wearing the latest "nano-carbon, super scent absorbing, cutthroat hunter, DOA full uni-suit, hat and gloves" in the latest random-number generated, gee-whiz camo pattern offered by Sitka, Kuiu, etc.

I should know, I've been busted in said camo for moving. Maybe I should have paid extra for the nano-carbon scent absorption?!

This thread reminded me that I was once standing in the middle of a 30 acre mowed grass field in VA, late deer rifle season, no trees, just grass in the field. I was standing next to my dad and talking softly. A doe ran right into the middle of the field and stopped 2 yards from us, she calmly started looking around and never saw us until I moved.

To this day, I swear I could have been wearing a clown suit and that deer would not have seen us until I moved.

JL
University of Georgia wildlife biologist Dr. Karl Miller.

And I'm agreeing with you. Don't move or have them smell/hear you and you're fine.

I killed an elk wearing this in early Sept. I will not waste any more money on camo.

20190813_095910-01.jpeg

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
It don’t matter what I have on if they look up at me and catch movement they are gone. Ive had them look up at me with all the different solid color earth tones as well as kuiu and Sitka camo and not care since they didn’t catch movement. So I’m In the camp of it don’t matter what you have on play the wind and be still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapyotes

FNG
Been traditional bow hunting for many years and I always liked dark brown or coffee colored pants and camo on top for some reason. I do believe movement is everything. Deer are somewhat a solid color. They are tough to see motionless but easy when they move. Hunt what you feel most confident in and go with it.