Solid Colors to hunt in

tdot

WKR
I have a ton of bright outdoor gear, and some in muted tones. First season of hunting, I figured I was good with what I had.

That was until I went still hunting, by myself for the first time. Holy She*t that stuff is loud!!!! I felt like I was making noise standing still.... didnt see a deer all morning. As soon as the sleet stopped I stripped all the Goretex off and went down to my long underwear, so that I was quite. I had a two shot opportunities within 45 minutes.

So now I own a bunch of camo, not for the camo, but for the quite face fabric. I would own the same gear in solid colours if it had been available at the time.

The old gear was often quieter cuz it was of natural fibers. The new gear is often ultralight plastics with a membrane thrown in somewhere, which is alot louder.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My buddy wore some new camo pants this year........swish, swish, swish, on every step. Have no idea what brand they were, or what material they were made out of.

JG358

WKR
My buddy wore some new camo pants this year........swish, swish, swish, on every step. Have no idea what brand they were, or what material they were made out of.

I got to fat to wear my old pants and had to go shopping this year kinda last minute. Most all the hunting clothes I looked at were made of noisy materials.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got to fat to wear my old pants and had to go shopping this year kinda last minute. Most all the hunting clothes I looked at were made of noisy materials.

These hunting clothes manufacturers sure don't seem to be talking to or listening to actual hunters for their business decisions these days. The Cabela's Microtex lineup used to be about as perfect fitting hunting clothes and materials as you could find, for a great price. Not anymore. Their new Microtex is crap, and the fit is even worse. Seems like they're all headed that direction.

If they fit me better I'd be using my EB Guide Pro's in Slate Green. Love them, but if I get them to fit my waist I feel like I'm wearing tights.

Wearing my EB Horizon Guide Chinos elk hunting in Colorado archery this year.
d2bea7959d549b587eda495455240312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These hunting clothes manufacturers sure don't seem to be talking to or listening to actual hunters for their business decisions these days. The Cabela's Microtex lineup used to be about as perfect fitting hunting clothes and materials as you could find, for a great price. Not anymore. Their new Microtex is crap, and the fit is even worse. Seems like they're all headed that direction.
I got a set of the old Cabelas Microtex in their Outfitter pattern, Love it. Will never part with it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I got a set of the old Cabelas Microtex in their Outfitter pattern, Love it. Will never part with it!

Original microtex is awesome and so mad at Cabelas when they dropped the microtex light and the original and they screwed it up with the new crap. Not sure what I am going to replace it with for whitetails. The EB pants don’t hold up to briars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I have three sets of the regular Microtex and two sets of the Lite.......from back when you could buy the pants unhemmed at 37", so they actually fit. But my two pair of Lite pants are wearing thin and being held together with Tenacious tape in many places. Even when I find pants with decent material and that fit well up top and around the legs, even their Talls are too short. The EB pants fit horribly. Depending on the pants I can wear 34's or 36's, but even the 38's in the EB pants were like yoga pants that could barely get over my skinny thighs.

Ya, I have three sets of the regular Microtex and two sets of the Lite.......from back when you could buy the pants unhemmed at 37", so they actually fit. But my two pair of Lite pants are wearing thin and being held together with Tenacious tape in many places. Even when I find pants with decent material and that fit well up top and around the legs, even their Talls are too short. The EB pants fit horribly. Depending on the pants I can wear 34's or 36's, but even the 38's in the EB pants were like yoga pants that could barely get over my skinny thighs.

I unfortunately only have one pair of microtex pants left and they are starting to rip on my butt where the pocket is sewn. As far as the EB pants I found the same thing for most of them being too tight on the thighs and have found the Guide style Chino's are cut fuller to fit my 28' thighs than the others but are still tighter than my other pants but I also found that with the built in stretch they are the most comfortable pants I have tried for hiking as well as climbing my steps into the treestand.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10307889/men's-horizon-guide-chino-pants?sp=1

MattKyle

FNG
Looking for some cheap gear to outfit myself for a DIY rifle hunt next October in Colorado. I’m trying to piece together gear on a tight budget and have heard about just buying non hunting style cloths at a cheaper price. My question is what colors do you buy? I’m not opposed to solids but some of the items I’m looking at come in fancy colors like maroon and orange. If I can’t get Camo, is black a good option? What about grey colors? Olive green seems like a good option but not always available from non hunting lineups.

Just curious what solid colors you guys prefer.
Late to the thread, but for others exploring, this clip does a good job of showing coyote tans effectiveness and also the importance of stillness

grfox92

WKR
Wrangler Nylon hiking pants (Walmart) $21 I wear them all over in all different temps. They make a fleece lined version but I haven't seen them this year, probably because of China and COVID. If you need a base layer get one waist size up.

Eddie Bauer has a 50 percent off sale a few times a year. I bought my puffy and rain jacket for $100 and have had them for years and they carry a lifetime warranty. I would stay on top of Eddie Bauer for sales, they make great clothing for a fraction of the price of big hunting brands.

gday5

FNG
I wear the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants quite a bit during archery season. Found them on sale for about $50. They are great pants for early season. I'm with many others in thread an camo doesn't really matter much. Playing the wind, being quiet, and moving at the right time make a much bigger impact. I usually stick to earthy colors, but that is just because I am a dull, plain Jane person.