Solid, inexpensive rifle rest for shooting groups?

EmperorMA

WKR
I’m looking for an inexpensive, relatively portable rifle rest solution for the range to shoot accurate groups for working up loads. No more than $125 please.

So far, I’ve checked out the Caldwell Matrix, Caldwell Stinger and Lyman Blackjack with bags.

Anybody have experience or recommendations on these or others? I’m not really married to any brand here but I do want something that’s easy to transport, easy to use with bolt action hunting rifles and most of all, accurate. Thanks!

If you would consider sandbags —- I used $6 of play sand, ziplocks, contractor bags and a mess of duct tape. I carry 4-5 sand bags in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket The whole thing probably costs $20.

Laramie

WKR
Another vote here for the bipod. Shoot prone and use a rear support. I use my backpack as my rear support, even in practice.

Cheaha

FNG
Cut the legs out of some old jeans, sew one end shut, fill with sand, twist tie the other end with wire. Four bags per pair of jeans. Plus you can use them in the back of the truck to hold blowy things down.

rayporter

WKR
i cut off jeans in the past, too.

i cant say much about the new caldwell but the older ones were good rests. i added lead to mine and competed with it for several years. won my fair share. i still use it at the house instead of getting out the big farley.
bald eagle is another decent one.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Caldwell Matrix, Its good for a quick trip to the range to sight in a hunting rifle. Not nearly as good as a led sled or bags for shooting real groups. Probably not what your after if you just want to punch paper.

This sucker locks the rifle in place for the most secure hold possible and is a transformer. Best bench rest bag in the market.

camera 019.jpg

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for old jeans and play sand. Being a former construction worker, I had a lot of ripped up jeans. I made several bags that were different sizes and different fill volumes with the sand and zipties. They work as good as anything I've tried and were basically free. The only thing I had to do was fill the jeans with the sand in the winter so I could put them in front of my fireplace a few days to dry the sand.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Caldwell Rock Jr, which is around $40, and I have no complaints with it. Its a little short for AR rifles unless you use 10 or 20 round mags, but it will kind of work with 30 rounders. I use it in combination with a Protektor rear bag, which is really a nice bag. I can't remember the exact model but its one of the the solid brown leather ones. I think it was right around $60. This combo will keep you well under your price point, and unless they've changed the front rest, I'd have no issue recommending both of the items.