Solo archery elk advice

Ok over the weekend I got in to many elk and could bring them between 70-20 yards but never got to draw my bow for lack of shooting lanes and or thick brush I’m hunting thick dark timber to what I call buck brush what can I do when ground is super noisy to close that last gap to present myself a shot

Pnelson

FNG
I don’t know if this helps or not. But if you’re stalking then you could try some moccasins or if you don’t want to spend the money like me, I have a heavy pair of wool socks that work great.

I found myself in the same situation as you last Saturday so I'll speak from that experience. It was the first day I got into elk and called in a nice 5x5 to under 30 and then a big 6x6 to about 60-ish. Both bulls seemed grumpy and not with any cows yet.

The first bull, the 5x5 responded to a locator bugle (he was within 250 yds), then cut me off during a challenge bugle. I got him under 30 yds while I was raking a tree. He came way in quicker than expected and head on (that's typical for a solo shooter) so my best option with the first bull would have been a frontal shot (assuming I let him come a little closer). He busted at the sight and sound as I popped an arrow out of the quiver (I should have done that 3 minutes earlier).

Second bigger bull never sounded that angry so I was working my way toward where I thought he was, looking for a good set up where I do my final calling sequence, when I got spotted and spooked.

When I'm calling and they're coming, I'm not worried about being quiet with my footsteps; that bull thinks I'm a 700 lb elk, so natural noise like breaking sticks and brush is realistic. You do have to be watch the unnatural sounds though; bugle tube banging or arrows popping out the quiver type stuff.

Also, have at least some sort of a shooting lane before you start locating in case one is really close and you don't know it. As you close the distance on that bull, you are looking to get close to him, but more so looking for that setup where you'll call him in from with that final calling sequence. Use thick brush and timber to your advantage and don't worry too much about noise.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Call, move forward about 30 yards, find a lane, and shut up. Lots of times they'll close the final distance silently and will be looking past you to where you last called from. Give it 15-20min before you move again. Had that happen twice last weekend, spooked one turning my head because I didn't move forward and he had me picked. Passed the second bull, but had him at 25 yards for 10min looking for the other "bull".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jog

FNG
One trick I use is soft cow calling on the edge of the group. Sometimes this is within 50yds. I only call sparingly. Just once or twice, sometimes over 10 minutes. They will often "drift" your way, to casually check out who you are. The bull, if there is one and he is tending, will eventually circle the group to maintain control of it. He will come very close to your single cow mew as he does this. Believe me, they have all heard you. Do not over call doing this. You must have the wind of course.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for the same type of advice. I find the solo calling thing pretty challenging.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Elk Nut Paul recommends running right at them in that general scenario... like literally going right at them. I wanna try that so bad. It ain’t crazy. It’s crazy like a fox.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
As stated...

Call them move up 50 yards toward bull(hopefully he has given you some indication of where he is coming in).

I had better success just sitting water holes, close to bedding areas and calling and waiting.

A treestand keeps your movement and scent above the animal....and takes underbrush out of equation.

I usually get busted when I am solo on the ground.

Archery Elk really is a caller/ shooter type of game.

I like Sneaky's approach! As a solo Hunter, I either call and move, or make darn sure I have a couple shooting lanes where I'm calling from.

I don't know, I spook them most of the time I think. The call and sit and wait approach is probably the best I've found. Others are great at the stalk, I'm just too green to do it well. I'll call, if I hear them call back I'll just sit and wait...they know where I am and will come in. I did that a couple days ago and worked like a charm, until I shot him in the shoulder from about 45 yards and the arrow came out with 4" of penetration.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I know walking and blind calling works but I think it's better suited to rifle hunts....I had most action this year I ever had sitting in 1 spot and call....trouble for me was on evening hunts the bigger bulls didn't seem to come in until last 20-30 minutes...