Solo Archery Elk Shelter

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has probably already been covered but I'm planning an archery Colorado elk hunt and I'm needing some insight on what y'all think is a good solo shelter. I'm good with a tent or floor less but I wasn't sure about bugs that time of the year. I've looked at some of the hilleberg tents but I'd rather not spend that much. Just wanted to see what else is out there and what you seasoned vets like. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
What type of hunting? Car / truck camp? Spike Camp? Backpacking / moving around? How far in? Ever want to be able to use it with a second person?

I personally like floorless and have used Kifaru Paratarp, Megatarp and Sawtooth.

I'm no seasoned vet by any stretch but here's what I use depending on the trip. SuperTarp & Borah Gear SnowySide eVent bivy, Tut w/Smith cylinder stove, or a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2.

OP
Sewall

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
What type of hunting? Car / truck camp? Spike Camp? Backpacking / moving around? How far in? Ever want to be able to use it with a second person?

I personally like floorless and have used Kifaru Paratarp, Megatarp and Sawtooth.

I'll hunting out of a backpack and most likely moving around. I just want a solo shelter with a little room for gear. I think this year I will be in around 3-5 miles

I'm no veteran as I've only been there a couple times doing it. But, I just bought a pyramid/hybrid tipi from Jimmy Tarps. It's called the Hudson Tipi. 11 guy outs and stake outs, 9'4" by 9'4", 61 inches at the peak. It comes with a stove jack, trekking pole extender, guy out lines and tensioners, and it's own sewn in stuff sack. Total weight is 1 pound 9 ounces for everything.

I set it up and camped in it Memorial Day Weekend and it performed flawlessly. It'd serve as a great car camp, spike camp, or even a Bivy type camp when you camp where dark finds you. VERY Affordable and the quality is top shelf. I highly recommend it as it is a castle in there. He intends to release it this weekend to the public. Check it out. God Bless

Last edited:

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Copper Spur UL2 is always a good choice. You have a lot of choices if you go floorless. Live2hunt(Rokslider) makes some very nice lightweight floorless shelters.

OP
Sewall

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
How are the bugs in Colorado in September?

Brendan

WKR
I'll hunting out of a backpack and most likely moving around. I just want a solo shelter with a little room for gear. I think this year I will be in around 3-5 miles

My setup would be Paratarp or Supertarp. Annex and stove probably not needed, but never know. I use a Tigoat bug bivvy to keep my pad together and off the ground.

GotDraw?

WKR
When in September are you hunting (date ranges)?
What is your budget?
What elevations will you hunt?
How steep is your expected terrain?
Have you been to the area you plan to hunt, or will you scout it before the season starts?

Nothing is worse than traveling with a tent, finishing an exhausting stalk in steep terrain and realizing when the sun is setting that there is literally no where to pitch your tent because it's too steep. Then you end up hiking in the dark with your headlamp, looking to find a place to pitch your tent when you should already be sleeping.

I like hammocks because you can always set up as long as you're a couple hundred feet below the tree line (trees are big enough there). I love tents, well, because if the ground is flat enough there is something satisfying about plunking your tent down and zipping up inside. Two man tents are great because they afford the ability to stash your gear inside and move around in case you get stuck in a couple days of heavy rain (Colorado archery 2016, thank you). If you end up in steep terrain, you may only find room uphill and immediately next to a group of trees, in which case you'll want a small/narrow 1 man tent because there won't be room on the uphill side for a wider one.

Bugs have never been a problem, but last year was so wet in CO that the flies were persistent until early Sept even up high.

PM me with questions.

Best,
JL

OP
Sewall

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
When in September are you hunting (date ranges)?
What is your budget?
What elevations will you hunt?
How steep is your expected terrain?
Have you been to the area you plan to hunt, or will you scout it before the season starts?

Nothing is worse than traveling with a tent, finishing an exhausting stalk in steep terrain and realizing when the sun is setting that there is literally no where to pitch your tent because it's too steep. Then you end up hiking in the dark with your headlamp, looking to find a place to pitch your tent when you should already be sleeping.

I like hammocks because you can always set up as long as you're a couple hundred feet below the tree line (trees are big enough there). I love tents, well, because if the ground is flat enough there is something satisfying about plunking your tent down and zipping up inside. Two man tents are great because they afford the ability to stash your gear inside and move around in case you get stuck in a couple days of heavy rain (Colorado archery 2016, thank you). If you end up in steep terrain, you may only find room uphill and immediately next to a group of trees, in which case you'll want a small/narrow 1 man tent because there won't be room on the uphill side for a wider one.

Bugs have never been a problem, but last year was so wet in CO that the flies were persistent until early Sept even up high.

PM me with questions.

Best,
JL

Sent you a pm

The whole shelter thing is night and day different amongst hunter and hikers.
I still think a BA Fly Creek UL2 is the perfect solo shelter for 3 season below treeline.

Dont sleep on the Mountain smith shelter its good , and cheap (no pun intended )

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like a large wall tent for base camp, and use my Copper Spur UL2 for overnight treks. Except for the first week of the season, bugs usually aren't an issue. Spiders on the other hand......never seen so many spiders at 11k+ feet.